Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 charger gasser , final assembly

crazyrichard

some stuff makes all the difference , i suddenly got an idea to put a ring on the carb , that edge just was to thick and it looks weird ..

found this ring it a button ring for clothing .. with spikes on the back , sanded and filed those off and man .. i love it , first time i really like the carb

engine is starting to come together ..

starte on the detail painting , heads and gearbox are silver , the starter , alternator and oil plug are chrome , irl the difference between the chrome and silver shows better then on pics

all the pics are loose dryfits with the painted prts nothing glued yet

50c059cfde48d676bc6768bd960a4190.jpg

with the carb.

3f0154a74d5c0f7d258797725cc2d718.jpg

aca2cfae6fa56e5c3085e8c5e1fd4f6a.jpg

with pulleys , belts , powersteering reservoir and fan

0f5b37a0e77ef699d030a13689e979a4.jpg

chromen valvecover

d74c1237368ebc8fe18e2ac0a5b3e5a2.jpg

dryfit with all the parts in the cassis , came out way better then i thought ..

a1d6f7b9959352793f01c50957673e14.jpg

5344e1e6b3074929be573a6f4a50f8d5.jpg

56a75138ac20a3493fc9e16a1371806c.jpg

from a distance , you see its less massive then the close up pics make it look also the bars running from the side of the firwall , those look so thick on close ups but irl look way better

a2bacf78058918cb18c0db435f969330.jpg

ede0819572412d182e02def24a66560a.jpg

still to do / fabricate on the engine >

fuellines

throttle cable

msd ignition with box and other electric stuff

masterbrakecilinder and brakelines

steeringbox and shafts

make headers

wiring

distributer

sparkplug wires

will be my most detailed engine ever and i now know all engines need to be build like this in the future .. in a way its a build in a build but so much fun ... a few years back i thought you could not get a lot of detail in a 1/25 scale engine .. so much fun how you grow into the hobby every build and year ..

i still want to get into soldering and use more and more metals mixed with styrene .. so much awsome builds here like that

Edited by crazyrichard

egineblock .. hmm decided on orange .. could be red if you look at the colors of these engines in cargers but i found 2 pics in orange and well hemi and orange go together ..right :)

3b80278f644692e9d3a8e939690b2637.jpg

It's a reason they call it Hemi Orange, the 426 Hemi was only available in orange from the factory, they used two different orange shades tho', Race Hemi Orange and Hemi Orange, Race Hemi Orange were a brighter more yellowish orange and the Hemi Orange were more to the reddish scale.
Race Hemi's were 1964-65 only and the street Hemi came for the 1966 model year.

Richard, the finned Hemi valve covers were for an old 392 Hemi Generation 1, motor the Hemi valve covers you were using originally were 426 engine size, (A pretty big motor) they both however were impressively BIG, but the 392 is a 6.4L the 426 is a 7.0L. BOTH were & are nice engines tho, model or in real life!

thnx guys ! thnx for the info :) ... and walter .. tbh this traanmission and bell housing was the best looking what i had , size wise .. all the others where more those revell boxes and didnt match imo ..

i thought myself its a automatic box ?? is that right ? something i wanted to ask about here and forgot and now you mentioned it :)

googled B&M clutch hydro .. and it loos a bit similair , not completely but close .. so i understand .. in the wuick search and quick reading its perfect for a drag car ? and you shift ... but its stronger then a reguilair transmission ?

if so yeeeeyy then this fits my charger perfect

Well you started with an old Revell Funny Car or Top Fuel engine wich are a bit crude and really not like the street going versions as you had to build a water pump and such things, other things are the scatter shield clutch can and the different looking oil pan.
The clutch can houses a multi disc clutch on these engines and the old TF and FC's had a 2-speed Lenco planetary transmission behind it, you have put an automatic behind it instead and for all I know you could as well have a converter inside the clutch can.
Stronger...well that's a good question...it depends on how it's built and what transmission it is, some are fragile as glass and some are strong as steel, and many use the GM 2-speed Powerglide based transmissions in drag racing and they holds up pretty good.

Edited by Force

thnx hakan ! .. well where the engine comes from.. i dont know ...

a while back i got a whole stash of parts and partsboxes from a guy who stopped modelbuilding due to health problems (could not handle glue and paint fuems anymore)..over time i filled up those partsboxes more and more with my own parts ...

so a lot of stuff ..i dont know what it is or where it came from ...

Well I know it comes from an old tooling Revell Funny Car or Top Fuel kit developed in the early to mid 70's, they did both 1:25 and 1:16th scale kits back then, I have built a couple of the 1:25th scale kits and still have some in my stash.
The engines from the newer Revell/Monogram tooling from the 80's up until the late 90's FC's and TF's are quite a lot different and better,

Edited by Force

started on the rear end and chassis ... when thats done i can move on with the hemi and all the connections

cut out the tubs till i had the bare chassis left

made new tubs in the rear .. tbh due to the shape op the body it took a while to get something that fit on the chassis and then closed the gap against the body .. weird shapes .. not as easy like making a round tub ......

very rough set up , rear ride hight is not set yet ..just resting on the tyre

choose to use a different rear xle and dif. more beefy then the kit version , also the kit axle and leaf springs where to wide for these tyres .. will make cistom suspension and latteral bars

last widened the rear rims ...

very rough work >

started on part of the interiour as well , some stuff needs to be pre installed before painting the chassis etc ...also because most of the interiour was ruined by the chargers previous owner (lol ..haha) the bottom plate of the interour cabnt be removed , to much glue used again by the previous owner :)

found this cool diamond pattern rear panelling in my partsboxes .. there will be no rear seat and a full roll cage later on

i could not save the dash all ruined ... i was able to save most of the top of the dash , great because thats whats sits in plain sight .. the rest will be scratch build maybe from aluminum with cool gauges etc ....

here i mounted the top of the dash on the firewall with brackets , now it slides in and out with the whole chassis / interiour assembly ..

it fits perfect with room for the windshield

rer of the firewall was ugly i made brakets and filled gaps from behind , so i made a panel to cover that

made a brace just for looks .. most wont be visible with the lower part of the dash ....

thnx bob !

did some clen up work to the body .. all is still rough work ....

drilled some holes for the wipers

the squares on the a pillars .. hmm rther not had to make them .. but since it was a glue bomb where the windshield letterly needed to be cut out . i had to for stability ..

now i shaped them roughly .. better then just straight

nafter light sanding with the parts dryfitted

the wide slicks

the engine with the wood stick i used for painting the engine .. now was usefull for a very rough set up to look what i'm working with .. need to make rear suspension , driveshaft etc

thnx bruce !!

ps sorry for all the type errors ...i bought  new rapoo keyboard , very small and thin and thought thats great more room on the bench and easy to put away when building .. but i have pretty big hands and grrrr doesnt really work ... when i want to type fast and post quick and read back i see all sorts of type errors lol

started on the rear dif , axle and leaf springs  ..

goal was just to set the ride hight and get the body sitting level , wheels centered on both sides , i used the kits leaf springs and the more beefy dif and axle from my partsbox ..

i kept it low in the back , on the 2 pics below it looks like its too low but its not i'll get to that ...

the tyres are wide and large so the wheel wells need to be made bigger ...

here you can see the back is perfect hight wise , should not be bigger , just a case of enlarging the wheel wel openings so it doesnt looks so sagged seen from the side

to center the wheels in the middle on both sides and releave the tention from the styrene leaf springs i glued and used steel pins , i will put more braces in and clean it up and do something to the mount points ..

this will be a project on its own make a frame and hinge for the flip front , already got a good idea