Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 charger gasser , final assembly

crazyrichard

got this kit from my sister in law .. somebody glued some stuff together with lots of glue , no sanding or paint and all out of line lol

i was happy with it , parts are great .. but i wanted to build a bit of mad max _ apocaliptic vehicle for a while .. and how cool to use a charger !

the carnage >

109e25fb1658b41d957725304d439e0a.jpg

37218aeb72550dd5dc245ef494facda8.jpg

6e14edb94109b728ad15dd5372e269bd.jpg

29c5e8cb943d633f7cbe11dd86ffe6cd.jpg

de1889ab085a08e5f1d242bc349f2bb8.jpg

i dont have a real plan ..... but i started to cut out the inner fenders , then cut the fenders from the body , using the hood with scoop .....

2fcdd6335c2fca4cca8cb07696a182d1.jpg

then glued the fenders and hood together .. idea is to make a removable front and have a tube chassis under there .. or a flip front with tube chassis ....

336f95bb4218ae17fbf3eb0c64995701.jpg

32dd4c4a6db92eff5fd9436a6f5509d7.jpg

no set build pan will let my imagination guide me ......:)

to be continued

Edited by crazyrichard

thnx guys .. and gene .. i just cut it with a hobby saw .. special thin blade saw for moddeling .. you could also use a very sharp exacto knife . and go along the pannel lines over and over again untill you cut through .. i fct that way is more precise then using a saw ... in this case it went fine with the saw ..

thnx eelco

went and put the rear panels in including the dechromed rear bumper

then gave the lines between hood and front wings a good layer of bondo to realy make it  one piece ... tomorrow its hard and i can sand it back

just started with small things .. first give it some shape and then see where it go's from there ... also crossed my mind to make it into a gasser ... with gasser exhaust that could come out behind the front wheel well ... hmmmm ... plenty idea's

ooooohhh i found something ...oohh

didnt like the fact i had no windshield ....went through my parts stash and saw that a bmw csi window is very similair in shape , wat to big but the shape was there .. cut a part off and went along my electric grindstone in my workshed .. and voila a front window !!!

happy !! now i can go any direction .. gasser style is an option now .. without glass i would have to go apocalyptic .. what do you guys think ??

I would go without the glass and use slats (like in The Punisher w/ Thomas Jane) or bars. Or maybe a mesh instead. As you may remember in Mad Max Road Warrior, Wez smashes the front glass out of the interceptor causing Max to crash.

Edited by JTalmage

thx jesse  know but ... now the idea kind of evolved .. not sure yet what to do stick with the apocalyps theme or go more towards turning it into a gasser ....

for now sanded the bondo-ed hoodlines and did some work on the rear .. flattened the sides of the rear bumper , want to do the same at the front

thnx guys .. and gene .. i just cut it with a hobby saw .. special thin blade saw for moddeling .. you could also use a very sharp exacto knife . and go along the pannel lines over and over again untill you cut through .. i fct that way is more precise then using a saw ... in this case it went fine with the saw ..

Thanks Richard, it looks great.

thnx guys .. well the body is done as far as it gos shape wise .. like its now a blanc canvas .....where i can start from ...

the front chassis and suspension was not saveable ... to much gue and everything broke .. now i have this fron assembly of a nascar kit .. seems to fit rel nice ..and looks good and even has the shape where it would sit perfect in the front .. the front bar looks great to make a hinge for the flip front ...

i could incorporate some tubes going from this to the firewall ... speaking about firewall i need to build that :)

well went with the front chassis i mentioned earlyer ,

the charger chassis was hollow and since the chassis will be visible with the flip front and for stirdyness i glued some card in between

front section glued in place , fits rather well not 100% but the rest will be sanded and bondo-ed untill it looks like one piece

question ? >

if i would change the center of the front chassis like remove / hide the mount for the spindels .. and make brackets and mount a straight axle .. gasser style ..

would that be like posible in terms of realism ?? and be convincing ?

i looked at a lot of gassers and chassis but this isnt your straight / complete / on its own chassis like most gassers have

Edited by crazyrichard

desided to make something of the mount for the spidels / schoks and all , glues in bushed and made some bars towards the chassis .. so its stirdy and no flex when dragging ...

cut back the floor and tunnel and exposed more of the chassis

used the center piece of the firewall and put it in further back , the sides will flow round this to make room for the opening and closing of the flip front ..i know i will have to make a system where the front first slides a ttiny bit forward and then hinges ...

with the flip front over it