Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pantyhose Seatcovers

I can just see the look on my wifes face now , when I tell her I want her old pantyhose.

But honey its for my models ,,,yea right

One of these moments I'm glad I don't have a wife to answer to.

I'll just slip one of my friends a few bucks and ask her to go get them for me. 

This is a great idea, and I can see it working pretty well.

Charlie Larkin

One of these moments I'm glad I don't have a wife to answer to.

I'll just slip one of my friends a few bucks and ask her to go get them for me. 

This is a great idea, and I can see it working pretty well.

Charlie Larkin

My GF shops for nail polishes, with me.  For painting model cars. She also gave me old pantyhose so I could fill it with rock salt and throw it in the roof to get rid of an ice dam (last winter).  You have to find a good woman guys!  :D

• 5 months later...

Interesting use for pantyhose.

Back in my R/C airplane days in the 80s and knowing people that still do it now, pantyhose is sometimes used as a substitute for fiberglass, except where a lot of strength is needed. In other areas, it would add some strength, but have a lighter weight overall. And now with electrics since they don't need to be fuel proof, you can use white glue or carpenters glue in place of resin.

On some various models, I have used it and even molded some parts with it. I didn't use resin because of the smell, but it probably would have hardened faster. I had a couple layers with carpenters glue, over a week or two, I would drop the part on the desk and you could hear a difference in sound as it would continue to harden, I could also tweak it a little early on, but not later.

Fiberglass is nice, but cutting and working with it can get those little fibers everywhere which is not that great inside the house, especially with pets running around, or with cats, getting on the modeling desk. You don't want those little glass fibers on them.

I don't have a woman to shop for, or give me her old supplies for my modeling, but this hobby is for enjoyment, and seeing the looks on some of the women's faces at Walgreen's when I shop for nail polish with no woman around already greatly adds to that enjoyment!:P And now I get to shop for pantyhose?! That will add even more to that enjoyment!:D Maybe I can find a modeling use for make up next!!:lol: 

I just remembered another simple thing I was quite pleased to discover.I was building a dio of an old abandoned gas station and wanted to add some visible top antique gas pumps.The glass cylinder tops on those old pumps were 12" dia and while scrounging around for a suitable clear material to make them from I decided it was time to change my # 11 Exacto blade.I have some blades that came in the small round clear cylinders from Exacto.That package measures to 12" in 1/25 so that can be to go to source for those pump tops.

Just tried the "panty hose" thing for the first time myself.

I needed some sort of cover for the rear shelf on my '62 Chrysler convertible, so I thought I would try it.

Not sure if I'll even paint it.

The interior will be tan so it might be a pretty good match. :)

Steve

photo DSCN5265_zpsgaiwzwg1.jpg photo DSCN5266_zps2g8pofpn.jpg

That type of Panty Hose look like it could be used for Mohair Upholstery in 30's - 50's Cars

That's what the OP said would be a good use for it.

Steve

Use pantyhose for seat covers. First paint seat color of choice. Find pantyhose of similar color or close. Stretch it over the seat, glue underneath. Then paint again  to match color you painted the seat.   Looks like mohair. Great for 30's & 40's era cars.

what do you use to glue it in place ?

Just an FYI, but I'm not 100% positive ( not completely familiar with the early 60s full size mopar body styles. But I think the well liner was a flexible black vinyl.

I glued the "well" area with just a light coat of clear acrylic.

Then after it dried, I wrapped it around the edges & tacked it with "Lazer Bond".

I'm aware that most convertibles had vinyl in this area, but I wanted to add some sort of texture to it.

I didn't want to do another painted one & I really had nothing as far as material that would mimic vinyl.

I may rethink it down the road.

There's plenty of time to change it.

I just wanted to try it out.

I think it may work better for a hard top shelf.

I suppose I could do this one in masking tape for the vinyl look.

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't have a woman to shop for, or give me her old supplies for my modeling, but this hobby is for enjoyment, and seeing the looks on some of the women's faces at Walgreen's when I shop for nail polish with no woman around already greatly adds to that enjoyment!:P And now I get to shop for pantyhose?! That will add even more to that enjoyment!:D Maybe I can find a modeling use for make up next!!:lol: 

Actually, there is a use for makeup :-) It can be used for weathering, there are some nice earthtone's, there are blue shades of eyeshadow that can be used for heat staining, and, I haven't tried it yet, but I've seen videos where they would take metallic eyeshadow and rub it on to the car after it was painted, adding layers until they get metallic look they want and then seal it with clear. It looks more realistic than the heavier metallics made for models.