Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 Chevy pickup

I love the work you did on the engine.  A few thoughts... the rust looks great but you need some black oil as well. Most old engines are caked with oil so badly that you cannot tell what color they were!   Second, you need to tone down the intake manifold. Try a black wash, thin out some flat black... possibly acrylic and dab (not brush) it on.  Dab some and let it dry.  Do it again if you think it needs more but important to note that it will look different dry than wet so you want to see it dry before doing another application.  Same with the transmission.  I believe a casting like this won't rust, but would be plenty dirty.   You can leave the carb clean as if you just put a new one on!  I've often had one new accessory on an old engine.

I love the work you did on the engine.  A few thoughts... the rust looks great but you need some black oil as well. Most old engines are caked with oil so badly that you cannot tell what color they were!   Second, you need to tone down the intake manifold. Try a black wash, thin out some flat black... possibly acrylic and dab (not brush) it on.  Dab some and let it dry.  Do it again if you think it needs more but important to note that it will look different dry than wet so you want to see it dry before doing another application.  Same with the transmission.  I believe a casting like this won't rust, but would be plenty dirty.   You can leave the carb clean as if you just put a new one on!  I've often had one new accessory on an old engine.

I was going to try something but didn't know what to use thanks.   What do you thin the flat black with 

I was going to try something but didn't know what to use thanks.   What do you thin the flat black with 

What did you use for the rust?   If you have a chalk set (you can get the earth tone chalk set at Michaels or Hobby Lobby for less than $10) use the black chalk.  You want to make dust by sanding the side of the chalk stick.  Then  paint the area you want to tone with Testors Dullcote (I spray a little in a cup to brush on). With a second expendable brush, put it dry into the chalk dust and then paint it into the area with the wet Dullcote.  It's like water coloring. It will fill in all the deep lines and give the engine depth, then you can dab it into the areas where you want it completely black.  If you've added too much, no worries, you can paint it away with clean Dullcote or thinner.

Aside from that technique, Tamiya acrylic black also works well for this.  You can thin it with water. I also use this in panel lines and grilles.