Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Year In Models - 2015

Tom Geiger

I hadn't posted my year yet because I am working on my 1960 Plymouth airport limo as this year's Amnesty Project. I am working diligently on it but it is nowhere near finished to make it for this year, so it will be my first finish of the new year. Again, I've gotten into this project beyond my original thoughts, but I wouldn't have it any other way!  

So here is how my year went:

IMG_1761Copy-vi.jpg

The year started out on an up note. I finished my 20 year project, the Volare Messenger Car as my 2014 Amnesty Project. I originally thought I'd slam it together just to get it on the shelf.

IMG_1770Copy-vi.jpg

Even thought about just gluing the hood shut. Once I got into the project, I decided to do it properly. I always thought models of this era were lacking since most folks just do the traditional wiring and the engine bay looks empty next to all the wiring and smog stuff that are in 1:1s. So I thought I'd try some extra detail and wired up all the smog stuff including the charcoal canister. It took me until late January to finish it but it was worth the extra time. It even won first place in Light Commercial at the recent Liars Challenge.

IMG_2324-vi.jpg

I got caught up in the fever of the release of the Revell 1929 Ford Roadster and immediately dove into one. I painted it Tamiya Coral Blue because that was the theme of the Diversified Scalerz show. That gave me two weeks to build a model. I almost made it too! I had it up on wheels and fairly well done for the show. It took me another week to sort out the final details. Still, the fastest I've ever built a model outside of the 24 Hour Build!

IMG_2329-vi.jpg

Pretty much built it out of the box, added different tail lights, photo etched gauges and seat belts. Otherwise, built as Revell intended it to be!

photo1-vi.jpg

And the last two off the bench this year were built as a pair, my Light Commercial Dodge Caravans. I think the two of them together make for a much better showing than just one of them alone!

photo-vi.jpg

The Taxi was fun. I used the Checkers decals from the Monogram '37 Ford Pickup. It's a New Jersey taxi, with an ad for Atlantic City on the roof, and the phone number is my old one from when I lived in NJ. I added a rear wiper.

photo1-vi.jpg

I always thought someone should do the CV (Commercial Van) version so I did. Company is real, but I don't have vans! If you dial that phone number you will reach me. I do own the domain, but haven't used it yet!

So that's a big FOUR models for me this year. This was a busy and eventful year for me, so I didn't get as much bench time as I would've liked, but there's always 2016! A Happy New Year to all and hope to see many of you at NNL East in April!

Thank you everyone!   My models are an acquired taste, not everyone appreciates my style!  I know a lot of guys click on my threads... say "not a street rod" and click back out!

Bernard, a few things about the Volare.  It started out as a junker body a club mate gave me some 20 years ago. I was inspired by the models of Joe Cavorley and wanted to try a weathered beater.  I had this body and this was my first practice in the craft!  I thought it came out well enough that I bought a kit to build around it!

It's been out of the box maybe every five years. I'd get a bit done and put it away again. At one point I realized the weathering was way overdone and toned it down quite a bit. There are still things that I could've done better, but I have left it true to my original work in a sentimental way.  This was the era before we had the luxury of making our own decals, so I improvised.   "Better Letter" was the brand of the rub on letter sheets I used and was at the top of each sheet.  So I got a free logo that worked for the application!

I am engaged in the build of the 1960 Plymouth airport limo, so that should be the start of what I hope to be a great 2016!