Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dupli-Color BSP300 Clear Coat Paint Shop Finish System

This is available from Amazon in a quart can for app $23. Has anyone used this? I tried Dupli-Color clear in the blue rattle can over a Scale Finishes metallic acrylic enamel, and it went on beautifully! So, I'm wondering if the quart can would be a good deal (it would save me having to decant a spray can)...

This is not the same as thier spray cans. I have a quart of the candy orange, did a test spray and it stayed sticky/tacky for a few days.

The primer on this line was good, although the last quart I bought was not thinned as much as the first can and was tough to airbrush. Not sure if they offer a thinner for it.

Is this what you're talking about Frank?

photo DSCN4718_zps6j1ukldf.jpg

I just used it on my latest project.

Seems to work just fine.

It seems to give a little better shine than the stuff in the rattle can, but it goes on a little thicker, so you have to be careful about how many coats you use to avoid covering too much detail.

I used 3 coats with no problem.

Drying time didn't seem any different than any other lacquer, dried fast.

Great thing is, this quart of clear will last me a loooooong time!

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I just used it on my latest project.

Seems to work just fine.

It seems to give a little better shine than the stuff in the rattle can, but it goes on a little thicker, so you have to be careful about how many coats you use to avoid covering too much detail.

I used 3 coats with no problem.

Drying time didn't seem any different than any other lacquer, dried fast.

Great thing is, this quart of clear will last me a loooooong time!

Yes, that's the one, and I was thinking about how long 32oz would last me! 

Steve, did you have to thin it for use with an airbrush?

Yes, that's the one, and I was thinking about how long 32oz would last me! 

Steve, did you have to thin it for use with an airbrush?

Nope.

Just used it straight out of the can, poured what was left back in & sealed it back up.

Absolutely no waste.

I think I'll be using it a lot more.

From my first experience, I'm sold! :)

Steve

Hey Frank.

Before you rush out & buy some of this clear, you might want to hear this little update.

I ran into a problem with it.

This morning, I masked off the polished body on my '65 Monaco project to paint the vinyl top.

When I removed the tape, I found the tape had marred the clear, pretty significantly in some places.

The tape I used was Tamiya & blue painters tape, both pretty low tach tapes, so it wouldn't be a problem under normal circumstances.

I placed the body in front of a gas fireplace for a few minutes after shooting the top to accelerate drying, which I do often with no problems.

Looks almost as if the heat had softened the clear enough for the tape to leave a textured imprint in the paint.

In conclusion, if a little heat softens this clear this much, I absolutely do not want it on my builds.

I am seriously reconsidering using it at all.

Now the question is, is the damage deep enough on my '65 to render the paint job destroyed?

If so, I know I will not use it again.

Steve

That strikes me as odd, Steve. I've been using that clear for several years now, on both model builds and 1:1 projects, and have never had a problem with it. A bad batch, perhaps?

Don't know Bill.

At first I thought the tape had left some adhesive residue on the surface, it had that look.

But then I realized that it was etched into the paint!.

It's not like the clear has not had ample time to cure.

I believe the last coat went on as many as 3 weeks ago, & has since been satisfactorily polished & everything.

The clear seems to be as hard & durable as you would expect a 3 week old job would be, so why the tape would leave marks in it is beyond me.

I guess some soul searching is in order to decide if I will give it another chance, or not.

Steve

Don't know Bill.

At first I thought the tape had left some adhesive residue on the surface, it had that look.

But then I realized that it was etched into the paint!.

It's not like the clear has not had ample time to cure.

I believe the last coat went on as many as 3 weeks ago, & has since been satisfactorily polished & everything.

The clear seems to be as hard & durable as you would expect a 3 week old job would be, so why the tape would leave marks in it is beyond me.

I guess some soul searching is in order to decide if I will give it another chance, or not.

Steve

Steve - thanks for the warning! I'll keep using my rattle cans of One-Coat clear for now...