Model Cars Magazine Forum

2016 Revell Germany, new releases

Luc Janssens

I think the reason they did it in 1/16 is because of the size. A 1/24 kit would be tiny. Since its 1/16 scale they could add more detail. Even at 1/16 it will about the same size length as a 1/24 car

It is roughly the size of a Mini and we have several of those.

It is roughly the size of a Mini and we have several of those.

Actually the Isetta is some 15 inches shorter than a Smart Car and about 62 inches shorter than a current Mini.  It's roughly the size of a large washing machine.;)

Actually the Isetta is some 15 inches shorter than a Smart Car and about 62 inches shorter than a current Mini.  It's roughly the size of a large washing machine.;)

An original Mini is 120" (10 feet long), by 55", an Isetta is 90" (7.5 feet) long by 54", so yes it would be a small model, but as I said roughly the size of a Mini (chop the hood off and there you go, sorry bonnet :wacko: ). If they can make an adequately detailed Mini in 1/24 they can make an adequately detailed Isetta. Both cars make the Beetle look like a barge (I think an Isetta may be able to fit inside a Beetle).

An original Mini is 120" (10 feet long), by 55", an Isetta is 90" (7.5 feet) long by 54", so yes it would be a small model, but as I said roughly the size of a Mini (chop the hood off and there you go, sorry bonnet :wacko: ). If they can make an adequately detailed Mini in 1/24 they can make an adequately detailed Isetta. Both cars make the Beetle look like a barge (I think an Isetta may be able to fit inside a Beetle).

Or put it on a trailer behind the new Revell 1/16 Transporter, converted to a camper :)

• 9 months later...

Apparently the 1/16 Isetta and 1/8 Corvette are released now.

If any of you Stateside want them, please feel free to let me know and I'll look into postage costs.

I know you are going to be shocked by this, but we get Revell Of Germany kits here in the states ,  both of those kits look to be released next moth here.

I haven't found it to be cheaper to source RoG kits from Europe than to buy in the US....unlike Heller kits which have limited availability here, RoG kits are readily available from multiple vendors in the US.   I know there is the stereotype of American modelers being cheapskates, but we aren't all like that. 

Edited by Rob Hall

It's even better if you are fortunate to have a local hobby shop that carries the Revell of Germany items.  I was able to get the VW Type 1 Lufthansa shuttle locally.  I'm not sure what the retail price is over here, but his sticker was $32, right in there with a lot of domestic kits.  The owner is a member of the local IPMS chapter.  Normally, fellow members get 10% off the top (which covers the sales tax, at least) but this week his e-mail included a 25% off coupon.  I don't remember seeing the kit online anywhere under $30, let alone $24.  Now, to find the Lufthansa blue and yellow paint.  Revell of Germany offers that, but doesn't export it here...

US MSRP is $34.95 which means about $27-$28 street price.  The one place I could find it listed in the UK (Hannants) wants £29.  That's around $35 US, right at MSRP and that's their discounted price.  Revell Germany prices are usually pretty good in the US since they have re-joined with US Revell under United/Hobbico/Great Planes' ownership.  

Edited by Brett Barrow

From what I have seen at the local shop, when both Revell USA and Revell Germany are offering the same kit at the same time, the German one is priced a couple bucks higher than the run-of-the-mill US version.  I've heard that some of the racing and exotic car kits are worth stepping up though, because the German version usually has a better decal sheet.  I don't know if that applies to the US subject matter like Mustang or Camaros though. 

I know you are going to be shocked by this, but we get Revell Of Germany kits here in the states ,  both of those kits look to be released next moth here.

I had this idiotic notion you might want to save some money, but stupid me forgot that all Americans are so filthy rich that this is entirely unnecessary.

Action --> reaction

Jonathan, please try to be more diplomatic in the future, Christian was only trying to help.

Now shake hands...we're all here to escape from real life worries and to be with likeminded

just my 2 cents...

BTW in the early 2000s the price difference between Revell US and Revell Germany kits was more outspoken, maybe it was because in those days US model manufactures kit prices were, dictated by Walmart which also consumed the bulk of the runs...

BTW in the early 2000s the price difference between Revell US and Revell Germany kits was more outspoken, maybe it was because in those days US model manufactures kit prices were, dictated by Walmart which also consumed the bulk of the runs...

Fluctuation in the exchange rate probably also has some bearing on prices.  I'll have to check the price sticker on the box, but earlier this year I bought the Revell Germany VW panel van at the same local store.  I remember paying more for it than the pre-discount "sticker price" of the Lufthansa shuttle version I bought last week.

US MSRP is $34.95 which means about $27-$28 street price.  The one place I could find it listed in the UK (Hannants) wants £29.  That's around $35 US, right at MSRP and that's their discounted price.  Revell Germany prices are usually pretty good in the US since they have re-joined with US Revell under United/Hobbico/Great Planes' ownership.  

Wonderland Hobbies has it for US$29 as well,  they have the 1/8th Vette for $98.81 and the 1/16 Isetta for $38.42 ,  comparing those prices to say Tower Hobbies $27.95 or $127.95 , shipping, was estimated at $18.80( I tired a 1/24th scale kit and the 1/8th Vette and shipping came back at $18 for both)

Well remember at this point Revell of Germany is owned by Hobbico, so they aren't buying stuff from an associated company and then adding what amount to a middle man mark-up anymore.  Now they're just direct importing their own product line.  The only thing Europe/U.K. presents to an American builder in terms of importing kits to anyone here would be getting the kits 45 days or so earlier than everyone else.  We tend to get Revell of Germany kits at the end of the month following their release.  Eg an October release in Germany usually doesn't show up until the last days of November.  The two sports car kits (AMG GT & 570S) if released on time will come out mid-Decemeber in Germany, and we'll see them at the end of January, or February depending on how Revell decides to distribute them - in terms of releasing both the same month or splitting them up since the new Porsche 935 kits will also be landing around Christmas over here.

Heller really remains the only thing that can't be obtained with ease here, because for whatever reason they don't seem to believe anyone outside of France wants to acquire their kits.  Or they want to hold all the distribution in house for overseas customers.

This just popped this morning on Hobby Search in Japan, and doing some digging I see it listed at Tower Hobbies as well.

10425873b.thumb.jpg.5b9ff90f2d86bac0b3e0

Based on the stock number, and the fact that this kit doesn't exist from the past, I am presuming this is the next variant of the newer '68 Beetle.  Not exactly a must have per se, since you can still get the regular Beetle in the USA reboxing, but for anyone interested.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGJDP&P=W

Consumer Alert: here's another small-scale VW Polizei car, often flogged as "rare" on eBay.  It ain't rare.  I won this kit in a raffle at a swap meet several years ago. Which means somebody literally couldn't give it away and donated it to the raffle.

This Beetle is made by AEROPLAST in Poland, who mostly do aircraft kits.  Note that it's 1/35 scale, not 1/32. It's a very early split rear window Beetle. The box art shows a hardtop, but inside the box, it's the open-top version with a roof insert.  The kit has about 80 parts. No engine detail, the rear hood is molded shut.  AEROPLAST released this in a couple of different versions, including a racing/rally Beetle.

The AEROPLAST kit is very similar to the 1/35 scale CMK early VW kits, from the Czech Republic.  But the CMK kits have separate interior door panels and overall nicer detail, IMO. 

aero_vw.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error

Hasegawa also makes a Police Beetle in 1/24 based on their '65 tooling.  I meant by "no kit exists in the past" is at Revell of Germany.  RoG did do a New Beetle (as in the 2000 New Beetle) Police car, as well as a police version of their Vanagon kit back in the 80s.  But this appears to be a variant of the new '68 tool, as opposed to the old cruddy Beetle (as seen in the Skip's Drive-In Series) from the past.

Edited by niteowl7710

This just popped this morning on Hobby Search in Japan, and doing some digging I see it listed at Tower Hobbies as well.

10425873b.thumb.jpg.5b9ff90f2d86bac0b3e0

Based on the stock number, and the fact that this kit doesn't exist from the past, I am presuming this is the next variant of the newer '68 Beetle.  Not exactly a must have per se, since you can still get the regular Beetle in the USA reboxing, but for anyone interested.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGJDP&P=W

when I built their sedan vertion earlier this year, I mentioned iin my review that there were flashed over marks in the bodyshell and some small clear lamp supplied on the clear parts tree that I thought a police version was going be next, I had an email from revell last week with details of the police version.