Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2016 "The Aussieball" Official Build Thread

TFchronos

Here is my entry, pile O parts, 1969 GMC Astro 95. Will look quite different once I am done. Think Dakar. LOL

IMG_0127a.thumb.jpg.9ef6fca6dd2319d83656

I envision an empty trailer being towed along to pick up all the dead and rotting entrants that fall along the wayside so they can all cross the finish line, right behind you. Should be cool. I think I have an idea of what you really mean.

I have a question to ask. I was wondering if there has been in the past any talk of having a logo for each year? Like the Cannonball Run logo:

1373029264-cannonball-run-2013-launched-

Or something like:

peking-logo_zps3aiwqfud.png

Originally I was going to try to do up a mock one to show, but I suck at graphic art and probably wouldn't  of had one to show ready before Christmas.

Anyways, idea was have a main logo for the hood like the Peking to Paris one, with 2016 at the top then Cannonball just below then Darwin to Adelaide at the bottom. You could then have 2 more decals (one for each door, something like the first pic I posted, that has a corporate sponsor (something Auzzieish) at the top. The entrants number ( each entrant would have to pick their own number to put in the middle) and then 2016 Cannonball Run at the bottom.

Sorry, I wish I could do a design to show everyone, I have the idea, just suck at being able to make what I see in my head.

Once designed we'd either 1- have to find someone who could create a decal sheet to sell to entrants if they so chose, 2- print them off ourselves, Testors has a homemade decal system. I've got the paper and the decal spray I just haven't tried it yet to see how good it is with a normal printer.

Anyways, just an idea.

David

Edited by Jhedir6

Here's the recipe that has never let me down on covering red/yellow plastic. Very simple.

1 coat of Krylon flat metallic silver over the bare plastic.

Prime over the silver and paint as usual. 

Thanks for that Rob,...I'll write it down.... somewhere...paper, paper,....pencil,....

Thought I may as well show you guys an update with my entry!

Because it's an Aussie themed build, I sourced information from my local Indigenous friends on how to maximise the Australian look....

So here's my camo / indigenous art inspired WRC Corolla :);)

I'm probably 50% completed, just doing some detail work on the interior, dash has been flipped and I might add some more Art to the body and finish off with a dull-coat....

Okay. I'm in. I'm going to cunningly disguise my Cannonballer as a commercial vehicle. This little Ford will be my victim. I'll give myself some ground clearance and keep it 2WD. Since I'm older than thirty I may not change to right hand drive, the dashboard does't look easy. Power will come from either a 5.0 liter Ford from the Revell '32 or a supercharged 3.8 liter Ford from a '92 TBird. I'm leaning towards adding a topper which is why the white bed is upside down in the pic. I'll likely start this weekend. This silly kit has a dual leaf and straight axle in the front so I'm going to have to figure out a new front suspension.

Thought I may as well show you guys an update with my entry!

Because it's an Aussie themed build, I sourced information from my local Indigenous friends on how to maximise the Australian look....

So here's my camo / indigenous art inspired WRC Corolla :);)

DSC03995_zpsolmeb00y.jpg

I'm probably 50% completed, just doing some detail work on the interior, dash has been flipped and I might add some more Art to the body and finish off with a dull-coat....

Interesting paint scheme..but I like it!

Ray, I only problem I see with that paint job. If you crash off the side of the road you may never be found. LOL

On the other hand, if he has a minor mechanical breakdown (like a flat tyre or something). - then the law will not spot him while fixing it in the bushes off the side of the road. I too have been toying with the idea of sporting a low impact paintjob and maybe even carry a camo net for such moments.

:D Thanks guys, I'll be fine, I have my trusty G.P.S. and P.L.B. and Satellite phone on board should the need arise.....;)

Forgot to say the Aboriginal inspired Art is all hand painted and I used Tamiya rattle cans for the camo look:)

Here is my entry, pile O parts, 1969 GMC Astro 95. Will look quite different once I am done. Think Dakar. LOL

IMG_0127a.thumb.jpg.9ef6fca6dd2319d83656

It might not be too much to look at at the moment, but your mentioning Dakar makes me officially scared. If you are showing up with anything that resembles the capabilities of the mighty KamAZ 4911, we (the rest of us) are up against some stiff competition!

Edited by lysleder

I all ready checked with Jonathan. He didn't see anything against the Aussie law but suggested checking with the other entrants. Is anyone apposed to me running a turbine engine in my racer? 

Tim

Not me, have at it!  I'd be interested in seeing something like that.  Heck, the Abrams tank has a turbine!

I all ready checked with Jonathan. He didn't see anything against the Aussie law but suggested checking with the other entrants. Is anyone apposed to me running a turbine engine in my racer? 

Tim

I don't know too much about them, but sure - bring it on, if that's what you want.

Well I'm cruising right along. This is really a junk box parts build so I'm really happy about that. There's something cool about using parts that have been languishing in the parts boxes since the Clinton administration or longer. It looks nose high in the pics but it will be level when it's done. Unless something goes wrong, I'll be using the supercharged 3.8 liter Ford engine. I think my techs can get it over 300hp. In this little truck that outa be plenty. And it looks like about 16 inches of ground clearance.

20160110_182327_zps5jkawaro.jpg

20160110_182307_zps712yjjh8.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

My official entry just arrived, so now I can start for real. 

The tires are Bridgestone Mud Dueler out of a (actually two) Toyota RAV4 kit(s). Of course I will have to beef up the suspension, and fashion a number of bits and pieces, and sort some details in order to make it into a competitive contender. I think I will leave the engine alone. Group A trim should be sufficient. If I stress it even more it could develop reliability issues. What I will do is to install a efficient air filter though. Right now I am torn on what to do with the body. I could leave it as is, and use the cool decals that came with the kit. Just the decor, that is - and skip the sponsor logos. But then again, I could use some more suspension travel. Especially at the rear. That could be achieved by adding a bump on top of the rear fender "blister", but if I do the decals won't fit. Ahh, decisions!

Well after much deliberation I have decided to go with this kit.

My plans are to upgrade to 1986 chevy k10 blazer hubs for all four wheels to get six lug axles, a ford motorsport crate engine 302, maybe a custom fuel injection setup or a turbo kit and then just the normal off road parts like a bull bar(roo bar) bed mounted off road lights, a bed mounted fuel cell and two spair tires.

For the colors I am thinking Gloss red exterior and a flat tan interior with powerder coated black bull bar,bed light bar,bumpers and maybe a black grill but I think the chrome grill might look better but this is what I hope it looks like when its finished.

Just an FYI thats not the final ride height I have it there just for mock up.

Edited by Grid_88

Bronco's and Rangers and Skylines..oh my:D

Lookin' good guys

First Mock-up for ride height,...

Yep,...looks about right,....:lol:

Now to research this 4x4 config. and start collecting lights and loud horns, and maybe some smoke dischargers and stuff...

Cheers Cannonballers