Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2016 "The Aussieball" Official Build Thread

TFchronos

I've never entered a contest or cannonball run before but this will be my first to compete in. I don't have anything in my mind to build but will come up with something. I have some friends in Australia from another forum I visit and maybe they can inspire me to pick something that will work for this. Plenty of time left to build and complete something.

Richard

Yep, plenty of time to join in on the fun Richard.

Haven't touched my entry, planning sure but nothing physical yet. Got a 64 C-10 my father had been working on but stopped, he offered to me as parts or scrap. It's not bad at all so I'm going to rebuild it for him for Father's day.

Yep, plenty of time to join in on the fun Richard.

Haven't touched my entry, planning sure but nothing physical yet. Got a 64 C-10 my father had been working on but stopped, he offered to me as parts or scrap. It's not bad at all so I'm going to rebuild it for him for Father's day

Hey Jonathan, Sounds like a good present to him. I had a real life 66 chevy stepside. Loved that truck but a deer on I-40 took the whole front end out. Never did find all the parts to fix it so I sold it.

Maybe one day we can meet somewhere in Morganton since we are very close and just chat a while.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys looks like i might have to bow out of this my modelling stuff is packed away and i dont know when i will be able to get it out again whether or not it will be done in time the mustang will be done maybe with more time i can fit the V8 i really want to fit in it 

That looks awesome as is Ray! Remember a little more can turn into too much. B)

No worries Brayden, life is life and there's still 5 months to go so I wont mark you out just yet. :)

Super busy as of late but I'm hoping to get mine going later next month.

How's everyone's builds going fellas?

I'm on the downhill run, still a bit more to do with my WRC Corolla.....Snorkel fabrication......and more paint.......maybe :lol:!

DSC04323_zpsdouebmi8.jpg

By the way, this is one mean ride. But I can't figure out where the "more paint" will go! 

I finally have an update on the F-1. I decided to go with a Pre-Runner style as the 97-03 truck I used for a donor is known for their use as such. I will be attempting to create a Currie Enterprises 9 Inch rear end and a Lovell 357 Transfer case. Notice I didn't say scratchbuilt from styrene ;). I'll reveal my secret in my next update. I've decided to swap  the Triton 4.6 to the 302 from the Revell 32 Coupe. I chose this because I actually know the 302 in my Thunderbird whereas I don't know squat about the 4.6.  

IMG_2752_zpsjempasuh.jpg

IMG_2751_zpsbxfw6iaz.jpg

Edited by wrecker388

I am beginning to work more seriously on my entry and will begin the roll cage system over the weekend.  I am guessing that in order to keep it from looking too wild, I will have to go with an internal cage, even though it would be cool if I could get away with something like this.  I would even leave off the windshield grate to make it more normal looking.  Another problem is the lack of 1/20 scale racing seats available.  Somehow I don't think that the captain's chair included with the kit will cut it.  I really don't want to have to get a whole model to get a racing seat.  If anyone has a spare or two they don't need, let me know. :)

Van3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

AussieBall Entry #18 Chevy K5 Blazer
July Update

Since getting back home nearly three months ago the yard and life in general has occupied a lot of time, although the Blazer has undergone some major changes and further additions with the body receiving its first coats of colour! After going through various Jeep kits in the stash I found the recent Rubicon kit to be a gold mine; deciding to use the wheels and tires and converting the rocker rock guards into the sides for the new roof rack mounted onto the rollcage. Once the tires were mounted and being mindful of Aussie regs, it was obvious that flares were required. An earlier model Jeep yielded its flares with the front mounted backwards on the rear fender. Once mounted front and rear fenders were trimmed allowing for plenty of wheel travel. Overall it has also given the sedate Chevy a bit of an attitude. 

In addition to scratch building the rest of the roof rack, I also came up with a rear bumper using the one from the 53 Ford F 1 with tow hooks scrounged from a target... err, armour kit. The rack has mounting points for pick & shovel, radio antennas, licence plate bracket with light and rear back up/work spot lights. 

Occupying the centre of the cargo area and rollcage is a covered stack of two spare tires with brackets mounting them to the bed floor. I used a prescription bottle cut to size. In its unprimed state it resembles Green Slime! The area between the roll cage and fender wall is occupied by twin fuel cells and jerry cans with water. At the tailgate end will be a tool crib.

In addition to the modified fender wells, the body trim was removed along the sides and tailgate, giving it a base model appearance. Since the stock bumper was not being used, I fabricated a roll pan to fill the void. Additional locating holes were drilled for the saddle fuel tanks. Once all the body work was complete and primered, it was ready for colour. For me paint is the big hurdle to completing many of my WIPs. For this project I began using rattle cans when we were down south, hardening back to my early youth out in the driveway in Saskatchewan. Back home I've carried on using Tamiya Camel Yellow for the body and Gunmetal for the frame and roll cage. Looking at Gunmetal I keep wondering about hitting it with a dull cote to take some of the shine off. It seems once I get started the momentum builds and the confidence increases with the airbrush and paint mixtures. More one does, the more one learns...

I've included a few shots of the progress so far. 

On a related issue of Australian road regulations it is important to note that the stretch of road north of Alice Springs in the Northern Territory has had the speed limit lifted (Aussie politics with a new right wing government in the Northern Territory asserting its right in the face of the federal government). The June issue of Automobile describes their road test of a Bentley coupe along this route, reaching 200 mph! This has an interesting impact on the running of the AussieBall, as speed, and not stealth is required for the run once in the Northern Territory which amounts to a third of the total route.

Time to mow the lawn again...
Cheers Mates!
Misha

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very nice, detailed work Misha! 

Thanks for the info on the route. I think stealth is still an issue overall because if you get pulled over on any other section of the route in the real world they could pull you off the road, or detain you long enough to make any lead quickly disappear! To me, balance is key, which you appear to have!

Nice progress Misha!

In response to your open speed limit paragraph, the Cannonball route doesn't travel this section, we turn right at Katherine and head to Halls Creek! The open speed limits are well after Katherine....

https://nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/252132/open-speed-zone-map.pdf

I'd be more worried about "Mick Taylor" up there ;) (Seen the Movie Wolf Creek?)

Just checking in.

I've actually done something - I glued the gearbox (Clearly Scale T56) to the engine (Ross Gibson 811ci Sonny's Mountain Thunder I built earlier).
Now I can start making the chassis.

Has anyone posted this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImaiRcDGbO4
It's the 1979 Repco Reliability Trial.  Basically a race round Australia for "factory stock" cars.  It'll give you an idea of road conditions off the bitumen.

I saw that road course video towards the beginning of the year. I thought someone shared it already, really cool and provided good insight.

Haven't seen that vehicle yet, looks awesome though.

Edited by TFchronos

Everyone is doing a great job with there builds. Here is my entry going to bring some more mopar to the land down under. I am going to dust the competition with a 71 Plymouth Duster! Offroad kit i decided to go with the Revell Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and i also got seats.

photo DSC00075_zpsdx5seraz.jpg

photo DSC00049_zpseeianduq.jpg

photo DSC00070_zpsmbi6dm2t.jpg

photo DSC00076_zpslsk0ocxp.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

It has been a little quiet around here lately. I have been working on my Skyline on and off, now and then and I'm getting concerned about the deadline. The thing is I haven't actually produced much in terms of progress other than, well -  got the interior kind of finished. And I built a huge honking secondary gas tank and stuck it in the rear seat space. My racer will have yet another huge tank in the trunk space, but nobody will ever see that one because the trunk is closed. 

Now, here is the interior with the tank, carbon racing seat and radio delete right hand dash. I will leave it as is for now. It is good enough to be functional. If time allows before start, I might come back to add a handful of small details, like a donut dispenser or maybe a red bull barrel or other things that might come in handy.

DSCF1687_zps1qyrurvv.jpg

DSCF1688_zpsunkoqudf.jpg

Edited by lysleder