Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2016 "The Aussieball" Official Build Thread

TFchronos

It's done, with three and a half hours (West Coast time) to spare!!!

Thanks Jonathan for the well wishes. Now to relax and examine everyone else's work.

cheers Misha

image.jpeg

Nice truck Misha! Lots of good work there. It looks like the Canadians are well represented!

Thanks Dennis!

Perhaps it's the old colonial and Commonwealth that keeps Canucks, Aussies, Kiwis and the rest of us connected. Now that we are done, I would like to say how much I enjoyed this build. My area is Hot Rods and track racing (non-Winston Cup), so this was a bit out of my ordinary way of things. Yet the challenge of running across the Outback, along with meeting the Aussie road regs (RHD!) was irresistible. Allowing for some creative scratch building beyond the box and a certain sense of humour (like following Jake's progress) was a common thread among all participants. The results speak for themselves as each is quite unique, all are winners in my eyes!

Congrats to all participants and especially to the ones on the starting line. Drop the flag and let's race!!!

Cheers Misha

Edited by Misha
spelling

I give you creds for bangin' out the Super Bee Jonathan. I really didn't think you'd make it but you've got a pretty respectable starter and I like to see the converted cars. I don't see a slouch in the bunch so it's great to see the quality of builds and the modelers who persevered through the challenges. More later.

Thanks Mike! I agree, awesome builds by everyone, wish I could have voted for all of them.

Awww Jonathan,...I liked where your Bee was going too !!

Great job this year on the "Run"...

Looking forward to next year

Cheers to all who finished, and to those who entered.

Thanks Bruce! It didn't feel right for me to squeeze mine in when it was only "sitting" finished (no brakes main reason) while you guys had fully finished yours. It's all good, I got the honors of hosting a year and that's more than enough for me.

I'll be back again next year though so watch your mirrors. . .

All of you. :D

Edited by TFchronos

A quick note on next year. We've kicked around some rule changes in this thread and I've being thinking more about it. I looked back on some early runs and some did allow for up to 50% complete builds to be allowed in. I do not recall any issues based on that. But, as some of you didn't care for it, I'm going to do the following as a compromise.

New builds, re-builders and builds up to 25% complete will be allowed. Any previously started model built for a previous Cannonball Run CBP up to 50% complete will be allowed. I know many of us have builds stalled from previous runs that deserve their chance on race day. This will also allow people with current projects that might fit the criteria of a Cannonballer to join us when they normally wouldn't be able to. I think it's a good compromise.

Feedback?

That's something I've meaning to look up for a while. Found this little Wiki page for anyone interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Australia

Summary of current standard issue plates

General

State/territoryText/background colorFormatSizeCurrent sloganCurrent seriesNotes
Australian Capital Territoryblue/whiteYaa·nna372 mm × 134 mmACT Canberra – The Nation's Capital or
ACT Canberra – Heart of the Nation
YLS·00ASlogan embossed on plate
ACT Canberra - An Age Friendly CityYLP·00ASlogan embossed on plate
ACT – Celebration of a Century 2013YIQ·00ASlogan screen printed on plate
New South Walesblack/yellowaa·nn·aaNew South WalesCK·00·MCNo slogan
black/whiteaaa·nna372 mm × 84 mm (front)
372 mm × 107 mm (rear)
NSWDKY·00A"Premium" slimline; no slogan
Northern Territoryochre/whiteCa·nn·aa372 mm × 134 mmNT – Outback AustraliaCC·50·AASlogan embossed on plate
Queenslandmaroon/whitennn·aaaQueensland – Sunshine State000·WZZSlogan embossed on plate
South Australiablack/whiteSnnn·aaaSouth AustraliaS000·BNRblack/white
Sa·nn·aaSA Heavy VehicleSB·00·MESlogan screen printed
Tasmaniablue/whitea nn aaTasmania – Explore the possibilitiesF 00 NTBackground screen printing of state logo (a thylacine walking through reeds)
Victoriablue/whitenaa·naaVictoria – The Education State1JE-1AASlogan screen printed on plate
white/blackaaa·nnn372 mm × 100 mmVicALN-000Slimline; no slogan
Western Australiablue/white1aaa·nnn372 mm × 134 mmWestern Australia1GEO·000Decorative motif of desert sun and blue skyline along top of plate.

Common features

Plates tend to bear the State or Territory name and perhaps a state motto or slogan at the top and/or bottom of the plate. Recent issues of plates (since the 1990s) also often use the state's colors and may include some imagery related to the state (such thing as the state's logo as the dot separating the groups of numbers).

Vehicles running on autogas or compressed natural gas must have a metal diamond with a white lettering LPG on a retro-reflective red background or metal disc with white lettering CNG on red background. The tag must be mechanically fixed (and is usually riveted) onto both of the registration plates. If multiple gas tanks are fitted to vehicle, multiple tags are required – one tag for each tank installed. Subsequently, vehicle manufacturers who manufacture cars with LPG as standard fitting, provide LPG stickers already stuck to the vehicle's registration plate areas, and some state and territory registration authorities also are producing plastic "flat" printed registration plates, and therefore need to provide LPG stickers to avoid damage to the plates if drilled for pop rivets.

All hybrid electric vehicles must have a green diamond sticker with the word "Hybrid" written in white letters. This became a mandatory requirement on all hybrid vehicles registered in Victoria from 1 April 2009,[citation needed] and is designed to warn emergency services in the case of an accident that the vehicle contains high voltage cabling throughout the vehicle.

The Wiki page also shows custom plate combos you can have

• Coloured plates chart

Offered in colours are:
Colour on black: AAA·nnn AAA·nnn AAA·nnn AAA·nnn AAA·nnn AAA·nnn AAA-nnn
Black on colour: AAA·nnn AAA·nnn AAA·nnn AAA·nnn AAA·nnn AAA·nnn
Coloured on white: AAA·nnn AAA·nnA AA·nnn AA·nnnn nn·AAA nn·AAAA nnn·AAA cccccc
Coloured range: AAA·nnn AAA·nnA AA·nnn AA·nnnn nn·AAA nn·AAAA nnn·AAA cccccc AAA·nnn AAA·nnn AAA·nnn AAA·nnn
Premium Range: AAA·nnn AA·nnnn AAA·nnn AAA·nnn AAA·nnn AAA·nnn

Exclusions & choices: Motorists can choose any combined letters and numbers including solely letters (max 6 characters). Plate customization has also been added into the colored, premium range and recently motorcycles (7 March). Certain restrictions about combinations have been put in place to prevent people from designing plates which appear too-much like numeral-only plates which are auctioned off separately (e.g. 9I2 would not be allowed as it is too similar to 912). There are also restrictions preventing people from picking combinations that are too similar to special plates issued by the Authority (for instance, HC-nnn and HC-nnnn combinations are reserved only for accredited hire-car operators).

Close but no cigar, there's no state names on these. http://www.aussieplates.net/collectable-numberplates%20sm.jpg