Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Gran Torino (Boss 302)

SVTInterceptor

I am working on my second Revell S&H Gran Torino, but this time it's not going to be box stock.  I plan to make it the Boss 302 Gran Torino, I think. I am combining the Torino with goodies from the 2013 Boss 302 kit (i.e. 5.0 motor, modified kit wheels, interior etc.) Just starting this build.  Please let me know what you think.  I will post pics if anyone wants to see them.  I have been building for years, but new to sharing in a public space and I am open to suggestions.

Boss_302.thumb.jpg.d620f65533a8ac22c9596SH_and_Boss.thumb.jpg.45a6e48e4100fae5ffStance1.thumb.jpg.a7ba89978e19ee9cf5749e

Ilowered the suspension a littleStance1.thumb.jpg.a7ba89978e19ee9cf5749e

Compare to Stock S&H kit heightStance2.thumb.jpg.8a1034b9aeeebe541b0581

I am curious about what you are using for a chassis.  I have a bit of a vested curiosity as I have a 72 Montego GT transkit and have been wondering what to use for a base. 

Thanks 

I am using the stock chassis.  I just shaved off the ends of the axles where the wheels glue in and there are towers that would typically be the coil springs on the real car.  I just sanded and filed those down to get the rear stance.  The front is also from the stock kit.  I just cut the spindles and extended them up to drop the wheels up into the wheel wells. Can you let me know when you post up the Montego?  I would LOVE to see that. Thanks for looking.

Edited by SVTInterceptor
Missed a question.

Looking good like where this is going and keep the pics coming.

Thanks vc273!  I plan to keep going with this and post up pics as soon as I make progress.  This is my first time joining a forum and look forward to lots of feedback and tips. Take care and Happy New Year! Hopefully many more to come.  Christmas and my b-day were great to me model car-wise. LOL :wub:

I think it's awesome and I wouldn't change a thing. Boss 302 +Torino = exellent!! Also, please keep posting pictures of your progress. 

Thank you.         Jeff 

Thanks Jeff.  I wanted to add the modern 5.0 to the torino since I built old Starsky, but I wanted to keep that MOSTLY out of the box.  I may post a separate post for the S&H car too. This one I want to try different things and stuff I have not tried before. Not sure if the paint will go on anytime soon, but I will do as much as I can and post up all my progress.  I am very excited to get the Boss Torino moving forward. Take care and Happy 2016.  May the new year bring newer and better projects for us all!

Cliff

Love the idea!

More interested in the hearse you have behind the Torinos! 

Thanks Man.  I really appreciate it.  The hearse is the JoHan Heavenly Hearse.  I picked it up from a box of built cars from a Model contest in October.  It was stock when I bought it and half done.  I am finishing it as a lowrider.  I will put up pics of it some time when I am not working on the Torino.  Thanks for looking and telling me your thoughts.

Cliff

This must sound weird but somehow I didn't even realize this kit was out there.  That will help with the Montego project a lot. Does the kit have a manual transmission option? Thanks. 

It comes with an automatic transmission.  The 302 I'm putting in is manual.  I love this kit.  I really couldnt wait for it to be released, and now I am thinking of purchasing my 3rd.

I worked on the interior today.  I had to do a lot of cutting, filing and shaping just to get the Mustang Ricaro seats and center console.  Now it's in...whew!  I also filled the holes for the front and rear bumpers.  Also made a small pan for the rear.  May not be the best, but I'm learning.  Take a look.

DSCN3185.thumb.JPG.641c9cebb42243a5f9ae1DSCN3192.thumb.JPG.ff563453385ec692a4a89DSCN3194.thumb.JPG.05de9c6f400281f52e953DSCN3193.thumb.JPG.394e3cd16a2d94a344737 Hopefully it will kinda like this.  This was sort of the inspiration.  Credit goes to whoever drew this design.

Torino_detail.thumb.jpg.1ba5fc6ef559dbc4

Looking good. Seats look great in there. Nice wheel choice, Size fits the car well.

I think I would remove the pans and mold in the bumpers to keep the shape of the bumper and be able to tuck them in more like the rendering. That and the front looks a little to boxy with that bumper box pushed out at the bottom. 

You may want to consider removing the chrome trim at the top of the door and around the quarter glass because Revell made it way to thick and it makes the side window opening look too small. 

These are merely suggestions/opinions

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good. Seats look great in there. Nice wheel choice, Size fits the car well.

I think I would remove the pans and mold in the bumpers to keep the shape of the bumper and be able to tuck them in more like the rendering. That and the front looks a little to boxy with that bumper box pushed out at the bottom. 

You may want to consider removing the chrome trim at the top of the door and around the quarter glass because Revell made it way to thick and it makes the side window opening look too small. 

These are merely suggestions/opinions

Hey Andy. Thanks for the feedback.  It took a lot to get the wheels the way I wanted them.  Still not sure if they will stay white too.  The seats were a bit high too so I shaved the bottoms and the tops. they were hitting the roof before and the chassis would not lay in completely.

I will reconsider the bumper pans too.  I REALLY like the rendering and would like it to turn out like that.  Not EXACTLY like it but inspired by it.  We will see if I can step up my skills and perhaps re-work the bumpers to fit more flush.  This is one of my first times doing this kind of bodywork too.  I have thought of shaving all drip moulding/window molding to have it clean around the windows.  Also, I have been thinking of stripping all the chrome except the headlight bezels.  I love how the example drawing has the "chrome" around the grille body color but black/gray grille mesh.  I will put up more progress pics too.  Thanks again and I appreciate your suggestions...please keep em coming folks!

Here are more update pics as of Sunday.  I put together the 5.0 that will replace the kit 351w/cleveland blend and test fitted it and it called for the hood to get a "bump".  It may need more work, but I created a scoop of sorts.  I'll keep working on it and posting up what I gots.  Meanwhile tell me what you think and PLEASE offer up suggestions and opinions.  I may not have the skills yet, but I will try.

302 still needs a little more paint detailing, but this what is going in the car.

DSCN3244.thumb.JPG.7d6cc358af7032476e668

Here is an attempt at the hood scoop to clear the motor.  A bit of styrene and putty.DSCN3243.thumb.JPG.428b83f728b7cc91178c4

Another angle of the hood on the car

DSCN3245.thumb.JPG.5221fb07aab0c4403114d

A close up of the hack work to get the motor in there.DSCN3246.thumb.JPG.8fc904eac93b4dde814e2

DSCN3242.JPG

Liking where this is going. I would have heated up the section going to the air filter and bend it till it cleared the bonnet, so I could keep the stock bonnet but that's my preference. Have done it to a 70 dodge superbee that I put a dodge ram V10 into. Cheers and keep the updates going.

Hey Andy. Thanks for the feedback.  It took a lot to get the wheels the way I wanted them.  Still not sure if they will stay white too.  The seats were a bit high too so I shaved the bottoms and the tops. they were hitting the roof before and the chassis would not lay in completely.

I will reconsider the bumper pans too.  I REALLY like the rendering and would like it to turn out like that.  Not EXACTLY like it but inspired by it.  We will see if I can step up my skills and perhaps re-work the bumpers to fit more flush.  This is one of my first times doing this kind of bodywork too.  I have thought of shaving all drip moulding/window molding to have it clean around the windows.  Also, I have been thinking of stripping all the chrome except the headlight bezels.  I love how the example drawing has the "chrome" around the grille body color but black/gray grille mesh.  I will put up more progress pics too.  Thanks again and I appreciate your suggestions...please keep em coming folks!

Make the wheels centers metallic gray or black. Do not remove the drip moldings, use black bmf on the drip molding and front and rear window trim, just the molding at the top of the door and around the quarter glass. That is the one I was speaking of before.

Keep going, it is looking good.