Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:24/25: new here,tips on bashing a Mack Bull Dog into a tandem rear axle w/later wheels...?

My first post and hope I wrote topic clear enough.  I have a Monogram 1:24 Mack Bull Dog kit.  I'd like to modify it into a tandem rear axle truck which has had it's wheels and tires changed out to balloon tires and different wheels.  I watched a couple of these, "up-dated," Bull Dogs drive by our place when I was a young boy.  In fact, a chain drive truck was not unusual then, grinding it's way up the long grade on it's way by our house.  I remember listening to the chains....very distinctive sound to a young boy lying in bed in the middle of the night listening to trucks going by. I could always tell a chain drive!  Back to my question:  I have very little background in finding spare parts for, "bashing," truck kits.  (More background in model railroad stuff).  So I need to learn my way around parts sources.  I'll need an extra rear axle and all new tires and wheels.  Hope to avoid, "chrome," look.  I see a few, "batches," of just rubber tires, but have no way to know if they would fit my needs.  The Bull Dog kit I have is the tank truck and I can use the tank for something else.  I suspect I'll need to buy another kit.....just for spare parts.  Thoughts/tips would be appreciated.  Happy New Year, Dennis 

The tandem set up is very complicated on these trucks. The suspension will have to be scratchbuilt. You can make due with the leaf springs from the AMT R model. For nematic tires, I would suggest resin tires from AITM. I was going to build one myself using a 2nd bulldog kit as a parts donor and some R model camel back springs.  

Thank you.  This is a step in the right direction.  I know nothing of truck parts suppliers, so I looked up AITM.  Pretty interesting.  I'll keep looking for more sources and tips.  I think it can work.  I also noticed some really attractive logging truck ideas for more modern trucks.

Dennis

Dennis I would contact Charlie Rowley, he is on this site, He may be of assistance, If my memory serves me right I recall some type of funny show car model that had dual chain drive system, The dual chain drive system consist of 4 chains all together, The two drive chains then a second chain on the wheel sprocket to the other axle sprocket which was the same size as the front axel sprocket. The first axle had two sprockets on each side, one for the drive and the second one for the rear axle.   O=O >*

greg