Model Cars Magazine Forum

I had a number of ideas floating around for this, but also have a closet full of "great ideas" that have stalled for one reason or another, so I'm going to try and keep this simple.

I'll be doing the recently re-issued Peterbilt 359 "California hauler" as a logging truck. With the weathering restrictions I'll be building this as it would look for a factory new delivery photo shoot.

While I'm not looking to recreate a specific truck, there is a lot of local logging history around here so I'll be using some of that for inspiration. Cummins diesels seem to have been the majority choice for these trucks, so I'll probably be swapping out the 8v71. I'll also be looking for some more aggressive drive tires as well.

I'm going to go with a late 1960s / early 1970s look which is what I believe the kit represents. I know there are some good aftermarket tires out there, but I'm most I've seen are too modern. I was actually thinking about tracking down the tires on the Paystar, so Terry that would be awesome, thank you.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I've had a slow start, mostly work but, a little bit of working some time in at the bench around a 1-1 project of mine. My wife went back to work part time which leaves me with my hands full on my days off, at least until the energy fades (and assuming I still have any left). :P

I have managed to get some work done on the truck. I snagged the Cummins 250 out of a White Freightliner SD. Early 70s so Peterbilt was still painting the engines white before they went in the truck. I tried to keep the weathering on the engine to a minimum since this is going to be a newish truck, but also felt the need to break up all that white. The engine will be getting some more work before I'm done with it.

I spent some time on the dash, and added service and trailer brake knobs from styrene, as they were lacking and are a fairly distinctive feature.

I spent a lot of time debating the trucks colors, I finally settled on IH Red over Ivory, both Krylon colors.

Wow that really looks great. Good call on the Cummins. A motor swap adds points in my book. Hopefully you wont have this problem, but I put a snap Pete 3406 in one of these Cali Haulers, and the fire wall had to be moved back a bit. Keep up the good work.

I'll check the fit, but since the Ertl era release included a Cummins I'm assuming this will work without much modification. I do expect a little work converting the air intake plumbing from the Detroit to Cummins.

Aaron,

Nice work thus far ! Have you resolved you tire issues? An alternative for the ERTL  lug tires. You might look at the two piece tires from the older Revell kits.

I think that they achieve that older tire look you seek. I am using them on a couple of my projects. And then there is always AITM , I don't think their tires look too new. 

Especially if mounted on spoke rims.

The other thing you may want to consider. Would be adding a stinger to the rear of the truck chassis.

Be Well

Gator

Terry (Superpeterbilt) took care of me for tires as well as a heavier suspension both from the Paystar. I am planning on adding a stinger to the end of the frame.

Alcoa wheels are quite popular locally. Most of the vintage logging trucks I've seen use them so I'll be using the kit wheels. They will need to be modified to represent the earlier type though. The kit wheels actually seem to be an odd combination of characteristics from both the older type and the modern type, not right for either as is.

Edited by Aaronw

Terry (Superpeterbilt) took care of me for tires as well as a heavier suspension both from the Paystar. I am planning on adding a stinger to the end of the frame.

Alcoa wheels are quite popular locally. Most of the vintage logging trucks I've seen use them so I'll be using the kit wheels. They will need to be modified to represent the earlier type though. The kit wheels actually seem to be an odd combination of characteristics from both the older type and the modern type, not right for either as is.

Glad you got your wheels. The only reason I mentioned the stinger was because you hadn't.

be Well

Gator