Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1972 Corvette

carro

Hi all! this is my new W.I.P, a 72 Vette that I started yesterday.  I'ts an old kit so it has plenty of flash and mold lines to clean up but  atleast it isnt warped like the last kit I finished. So far I painted most of the engine and suspension parts. I also dechromed all the chrome parts except for the wheels, I intend to spray some matte clear on those to bring down the shine a bit. If not  l will spray alclad on it like I intend to on all the chrome parts. The interior Tub has the door panels engraved in very faint, so Ill try  to see   what I can do whit that . The other thing I dont like is the chassis but I guess some masking and patience will take care of that. I also glued in the bottom chin and test fitted the front bumper. Also glued the seats backs and puttied them. Im hopeing to get atleast some building time tommorow, so i should get more done.

P1010001_zpsuztcs1dw.jpgP1010002_zpsnqrcjqrm.jpgP1010003_zps6kiq0vwz.jpg

P1020009_zpsc3kg9fss.jpgP1020008_zps7pnub0ti.jpg

This isn't a bad kit at all. Back in the '90s I built one that brought home a regional IPMS trophy, and it was done completely out of the box.

Just remembered, I did the '70 coupe, but I built it as a '72. But it's basically the same kit.

I like Vettes. :wub:

This isn't a bad kit at all. Back in the '90s I built one that brought home a regional IPMS trophy, and it was done completely out of the box.

Just remembered, I did the '70 coupe, but I built it as a '72. But it's basically the same kit.

Thanks!! I'm pretty sure I tried doing one back  in the 90's I think it was yellow on the box art and not having a airbrush or spray cans I remember painting it with my mom's nail polish and gluing it together with some testors glue that my friend gave me. Needles to say it was a fingerprint and brush marks disaster with missing parts of course. Hopefully this one I will be able to complete a lot cleaner . Thanks for looking.

I had some time this week for building. So far I started on the body work.

P1050015_zps0ut3xesl.jpgP1050016_zpssjb3pg8m.jpgP1050017_zpsty4g6u25.jpg

I also started painting the chassis and finished painting all the suspension components.

Ans also sprayed alclad on the parts I dechromed.

Looks like you're going all-out with this one. What color are you going to paint it?

When I built my '72 from the '70 kit (I did that just to paint it Elkhart Green, a '72-only color), I discovered that the main visual differences between a '70 and a '72 are the '72 has an alarm lock button on the rear panel (it was optional in '71, not available at all in '70), and the '72 had amber turn signals where the '70's were clear/white. IIRC, the AMT "'72" kit is really still a '70.

Just thought you'd like to know. B)

Looks like you're going all-out with this one. What color are you going to paint it?

When I built my '72 from the '70 kit (I did that just to paint it Elkhart Green, a '72-only color), I discovered that the main visual differences between a '70 and a '72 are the '72 has an alarm lock button on the rear panel (it was optional in '71, not available at all in '70), and the '72 had amber turn signals where the '70's were clear/white. IIRC, the AMT "'72" kit is really still a '70.

Just thought you'd like to know. B)

I'm just trying to build a clean box stock. I'm going to paint it a light blue. ( the same blue on the chassis) I guess I'll make it a 72 with the amber turn signals, thank's for the info and for looking.

Radames, I recently built this kit. You mentioned you built one back in the '90s. You may remember that the inner fenders need to be shaped to fit inside the body. The instructions call out having to shape the the inner fenders but give little direction as to where. The ends are molded square and need to be sanded into a rounded shape. Just a heads up for ya, brother. I enjoyed my build and it came out really nice. I picked mine up at a NCRS Corvette swap meet last year unopened inside the box. To my surprise I found a short shot hood. It was missing the front right corner. I managed to over come that little challenge and painted my Vette Ontario Orange. Your build is looking super sweet, and I look forward to seeing more.   Mike

Edited by Musclecar Mike

I built it a very long time ago and don't remember that, but I really appreciate the heads up I'll Defenitely keep an eye out for that. That's why I really enjoy this and other forums people taking the time to help others with questions tips and also give constructive criticism when needed in order to grow people more in the hobby. And I also checked out your corvette,  she's a beauty. I will be shaving the emblems on mines and most likely order a photoetch kit. Thank's! !

You've got a good start.

I think this kit has about the best 'Vette chassis  i have built.  Certainly better than the AMT '63-'70 "piggy bank" cars.

Thank you!  Hopefully this weekend I'll start mounting the suspension.

I had some time during the week and finished the body work.

Shaved the emblems. I'm thinking of buying a photoetch kit if it turns out good.

Also applied the white and hopefully apply the body color this Saturday.

Also sprayed the interior but I don't like how the color looks so I will tweak it a bit.

Hopefully I'll get more done this weekend!

Well I did have a lot of building time today but all I was able to do was get a migrane and hi blood presure  because everything I did came out wrong. The only thing that came out good was that I finished putting the suspension on the chassis.

P1160006_zps1n5dshnj.jpg

But I had to dip the interior in brake fluid so I can start the painting process all over again.

P1160007_zpsr3mlvona.jpg

I also started on masking the body so I could spray the main color.

P1160008_zpskwlefqyi.jpg

Instead of just painting it Blue I decided to make a stripe.

P1160009_zpsudnsekq6.jpg

P1160010_zpslsalkkkk.jpg

Just to make it a bit custom I guess. And then this happened.

P1160011_zpsaih55shz.jpg

I honestly don't know what went wrong. I tought I gave the paint enough time to dry and is all the same brand from the primer all the way to the blue.

P1160012_zpstdu7jdrd.jpg

P1160013_zpszevhmwdq.jpg

Well that's it for today. I will dip the body tomorrow and start all over again time permiting. I won't let it beat me, I will just start on something else mean while but I still have the engine to put together and I will be spraying the wheels tomorrow.

I got all the body work (for the 2nd time) and got the white base and clear o

P1230009_zpsezypjg5w.jpg

Also picked up some craft paints and mixed the interior color.

P1230011_zpsevmeclv1.jpg

And cleared the interior.

P1230010_zpsiwatxv9n.jpg

Next to let the interior dry so I can start on the details and start masking the sripes and spray the blue on the body again. 

Looking great!  A suggestion, if I may.  Scuff your primer before base coat, scuff base coat before masking paint lines.  When pulling the tape off, don't pull straight up, pull it as if you're doubling it over.  In doing this it tends to cut the paint lines with the tape rather than tearing it.  

Judging by your skill set, you already know this.  Lol

I love the paint scheme and color choice.  I think a pearl top coat before clear would look phenomenal.

Looks really good!  Hope the body paint goes good for you this time.

Thank you Dann.

Looking great!  A suggestion, if I may.  Scuff your primer before base coat, scuff base coat before masking paint lines.  When pulling the tape off, don't pull straight up, pull it as if you're doubling it over.  In doing this it tends to cut the paint lines with the tape rather than tearing it.  

Judging by your skill set, you already know this.  Lol

I love the paint scheme and color choice.  I think a pearl top coat before clear would look phenomenal.

Thank's for the tip. Last time I just pulled the tape off like a little kid opening a Christmas present. I will definitely be more careful this time.