Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alclad II ALC-118 Gold Titanium – Problem

As I lay down the color I notice it`s  kind of a silver color instead of gold. When the part dry I have a very thin goldish line on the very edges but the rest of the part looks more silvery. I have primed the parts with Alclad II ACL 309 Black Primer and Microfiller prior to laying down Gold Titanium. My first thought was that the paint wasn’t thoroughly mixed. So, I have shaken the mess out of the bottle then shot a second coat but, still got the same results. I thought it may have been a bad bottle so I got a second one but I still got the same results. I even thought I might need to dial down the air compressor a tad so I went from 17 psi to 12 psi. but go no different results. In short, I`m not getting a solid gold color. Has anyone experienced this issue; if so how did you resolve it.
Thanks in advice for your assistance.
Edited by 69NovaYenko

As I lay down the color I notice it`s  kind of a silver color instead of gold. When the part dry I have a very thin goldish line on the very edges but the rest of the part looks more silvery. I have primed the parts with Alclad II ACL 309 Black Primer and Microfiller prior to laying down Gold Titanium. My first thought was that the paint wasn’t thoroughly mixed. So, I have shaken the mess out of the bottle then shot a second coat but, still got the same results. I thought it may have been a bad bottle so I got a second one but I still got the same results. I even thought I might need to dial down the air compressor a tad so I went from 17 psi to 12 psi. but go no different results. In short, I`m not getting a solid gold color. Has anyone experienced this issue; if so how did you resolve it.
Thanks in advice for your assistance.

I don't believe Gold Titanium is a solid gold color... if you look at titanium by any mfr, it looks more like silver, and mixing it with gold would surely diminish the gold component. I have had excellent results with Testors Inca Gold and Pure Gold (needs to be built up more than the first).

This paint does seem to be transparent to some extent. I ahve had good results when a silver base is used. Tamiya does have  a spray TS-87 Titanium Gold which works great. the gold parts on this Nissan interior are TS-87 airbrushed.

Dscf6547.jpg

I appropriate everyones input. The 1:1 color I'm trying to match is this Milodon deep sump oil pan or at least come close to it. Does anyone have any suggestions. The Milodon catalog says it has a gold finish. I`m open to suggestions.

OilPan-DeepSump_copy.thumb.JPG.ad421a956

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Yep..it a pretty strong color. Unfourtunatly did check the Alclad color chart before purchasing the titanium gold...my miss-step.

I`m now considering trying Testors Inca Gold lacquer

Testors_Inca_Gold_One_Coat_Lacquer..thum

or possibly trying Alclad II ALC #108 Pale Gold

Pale_Gold__108.thumb.jpg.cdd140b48328188

Any thoughts on which is a better match to the oil pan.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

From that picture it looks like Pale Gold would be a good match, but I have that Alclad paint and I don't think it is as intensely yellow as the photo above shows. The Inca Gold looks like even better match.  Problem with the Testors paints is that the metallic particles in them are rather large and they look like metal flake paint instead of metallic finish.  You might want to browse the fingernail polish section of your local grocery store or drug store - you might find something that works.

Alclad Pale Gold is what I used on the bumpers, wheels, exhausts and bits on this model (the shinier stuff is BMF):

3_zps8vv72krm.jpg

Is that BMF on the rear windshield surround? If it is, that's quite a nice gold for foil - I don't think it ever looked that good in ads for the product!

I appropriate everyones input. The 1:1 color I'm trying to match is this Milodon deep sump oil pan or at least come close to it. Does anyone have any suggestions. The Milodon catalog says it has a gold finish. I`m open to suggestions.

OilPan-DeepSump_copy.thumb.JPG.ad421a956

I might try spraying clear yellow over buffed-out stainless steel or aluminum plate metalizer

I might try spraying clear yellow over buffed-out stainless steel or aluminum plate metalizer

Well, here's something to could happen... some stainless steels have a significant quantity of blue in them... combine that with yellow and you get green. 

Well, here's something to could happen... some stainless steels have a significant quantity of blue in them... combine that with yellow and you get green. 

I'm referring to Modelmaster metalizer in the rattlecan

I'm referring to Modelmaster metalizer in the rattlecan

I don't remember seeing any bluish cast to the stainless steel Metalizer; so, you should be OK. Of course, if you chose polished aluminum, every one I've tried has never looked anything but silver, and would also not give you a problem with a transparent yellow over it.

I don't remember seeing any bluish cast to the stainless steel Metalizer; so, you should be OK. Of course, if you chose polished aluminum, every one I've tried has never looked anything but silver, and would also not give you a problem with a transparent yellow over it.

I've sprayed clear yellow over both the aluminum plate and stainless steel metalizers without any problems- the aluminum plate buffs out a little "whiter" but is somewhat delicate, the stainless steel is less finicky but not quite as bright.

I'm using clear blue over buffed-out stainless steel metalizer on my '48 Ford custom I'm currently working on

Just to let you folks know what I finally did to match the color of the Milodon deep sump oil pan. First, you all gave some great suggestion and couldn't decide which was closest the  Alclad Pale Gold or Testors Inca Gold; so I got my hands on both and did a side by side test. The winner was Testors Inca Gold because the  intensely of the goldish/yellowish tint was a much closer match. As pointed out by Peteski, in an earlier comment,the only issue with the Testors paint was the metallic flakes in it. I resolved this by top coating the Testors Inca Gold with Alclad II Klear Kote Flat and it majorly toned down the metallic flake.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

• 5 years later...
On 1/13/2016 at 6:50 PM, 69NovaYenko said:

Just to let you folks know what I finally did to match the color of the Milodon deep sump oil pan. First, you all gave some great suggestion and couldn't decide which was closest the  Alclad Pale Gold or Testors Inca Gold; so I got my hands on both and did a side by side test. The winner was Testors Inca Gold because the  intensely of the goldish/yellowish tint was a much closer match. As pointed out by Peteski, in an earlier comment,the only issue with the Testors paint was the metallic flakes in it. I resolved this by top coating the Testors Inca Gold with Alclad II Klear Kote Flat and it majorly toned down the metallic flake.

Can you post a picture of your results?

Edited by crowe-t