Model Cars Magazine Forum

Got the new Moebius '61 Pontiac Ventura? Here's a couple tips and tricks........

Something I want to add that just came to mind when it comes time to paint the body. It might not be a bad idea if you mask off the window area, particularly the channels where the glass needs to fit in. You'll no doubt get paint buildup in those channels and then you're right back to square one trying get the glass to fit again! :o

Just something to watch out for.

I was thinking the same thing.

I just did a test fit on the rear glass on mine, as I can't do a fit on the front until a new body arrives from Moebius, & it seems to fit pretty well.

It's a tad high as stated, but it looks to me like just a little material taken off the bottom & possibly a little sanding on the trim along the top is all it would need to fit nicely.

But, by the time I do my usual multiple coat paint job, I'm betting that it will not fit well at all.

Something will need to be done.

I can also see how thinning out the wheel flange will benefit the look of the wheels.

I think I'll just grind the backs down a bit with a Dremel reamer.

Thanks for pointing out these problems Bill.

It's always good to know what you're dealing with going in.

Steve

It's too bad that the builder/customer has to do any of that work in the first place. Just sayin'...

i agree. IMO, Moebius needs to address the glass issue and correct it so the other other kits planned to be produced from this tooling won't have the same problem,. But I'm betting that won't happen because Moebius knows people will buy the kids regardless.

Where, oh where pray tell are all the apologists for Moebius that are always attacking those who can see that much of their product is sub par, (be it in accuracy or assembly issues), at in this post? Where are the comments comparing Moebius' quality to Tamiya? A ludicrous thought in & of itself that had to be from someone that's never built a Tamiya kit, (especially from the 90s on), as Tamiya kits don't require this level of re-engineering to make the parts fit correctly. Where are those that blindly & illogically praise every single thing that Moebius does, to the point where one feels they would accept a block of wood & a carving knife in a Moebius box, & being told in the instructions to carve the 1966 Dizzmobile from that as their next kit release?

Sadly, this kind of issue is just the perfect example of their attitude that I got first hand when I contacted them about accuracy issues a couple of years ago:

Please do not reply or email us ever again, we do not need to be harassed, especially since no one is forcing you to buy, look at or build our products.

No worries whomever that person was who sent me that reply; I have no intentions of ever parting with my money for your products ever again, based on this kit, the problems with the pebbled surface texture, (especially under the chrome plating!), on the F-100 kit, the accuracy issues with the 65 Satellite, & that horrid back end on the 56 300B, a car that I'd desired a model of since the early 70s.

In this day & age there's no excuse that can be made for these kind of continuous errors, flaws & gaffes from any manufacturer, especially one that is now past "start up" problems & has been around a while.

Edited by Bob Turner2

Where, oh where pray tell are all the apologists for Moebius that are always attacking those who can see that much of their product is sub par, (be it in accuracy or assembly issues), at in this post? Where are the comments comparing Moebius' quality to Tamiya? A ludicrous thought in & of itself that had to be from someone that's never built a Tamiya kit, (especially from the 90s on), as Tamiya kits don't require this level of re-engineering to make the parts fit correctly. Where are those that blindly & illogically praise every single thing that Moebius does, to the point where one feels they would accept a block of wood & a carving knife in a Moebius box, & being told in the instructions to carve the 1966 Dizzmobile from that as their next kit release?

Sadly, this kind of issue is just the perfect example of their attitude that I got first hand when I contacted them about accuracy issues a couple of years ago:

Please do not reply or email us ever again, we do not need to be harassed, especially since no one is forcing you to buy, look at or build our products.

No worries whomever that person was who sent me that reply; I have no intentions of ever parting with my money for your products ever again, based on this kit, the problems with the pebbled surface texture, (especially under the chrome plating!), on the F-100 kit, the accuracy issues with the 65 Satellite, & that horrid back end on the 56 300B, a car that I'd desired a model of since the early 70s.

In this day & age there's no excuse that can be made for these kind of continuous errors, flaws & gaffes from any manufacturer, especially one that is now past "start up" problems & has been around a while.

I agree with whomever replied to you.

No one is holding a gun to your head.

If Tamiya ever made a kit of a subject that interested me, I would probably buy them.

Not gonna buy a kit of a Ferrari just because it's more accurate or better engineered, I don't want it.

I'm not wishing to start an argument, but we get it, you don't like Moebius.

Easy solution, don't buy them.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I agree with whomever replied to you.

No one is holding a gun to your head.

If Tamiya ever made a kit of a subject that interested me, I would probably buy them.

Not gonna buy a kit of a Ferrari just because it's more accurate or better engineered, I don't want it.

I'm not wishing to start an argument, but we get it, you don't like Moebius.

Easy solution, don't buy them.

Steve

Sadly no, you don't get it. At no point in my comments did I mention subject matter, I was commenting on standards of accuracy & quality, which Tamiya has down pat, but which Moebius consistently falls short in. If you actually comprehended my plainly stated post, you would have seen that the subject matter Moebius turns out I do often desire, it's in the execution that keeps me from opening my wallet to purchase their automotive kits.

But go ahead & be an apologist for them by grabbing up their often deeply flawed kits & defending them for making such flawed kits in an era when those problems should be a thing of the past. As long as they aren't held accountable by the customers, they'll never see the need to improve. Enjoy those diminishing returns until you do open a Moebius box & see nothing more than that block of wood, carving knife, & a note telling you to carve away until that 1966 Dizzmobile emerges.

Sadly no, you don't get it. At no point in my comments did I mention subject matter, I was commenting on standards of accuracy & quality, which Tamiya has down pat, but which Moebius consistently falls short in. If you actually comprehended my plainly stated post, you would have seen that the subject matter Moebius turns out I do often desire, it's in the execution that keeps me from opening my wallet to purchase their automotive kits.

But go ahead & be an apologist for them by grabbing up their often deeply flawed kits & defending them for making such flawed kits in an era when those problems should be a thing of the past. As long as they aren't held accountable by the customers, they'll never see the need to improve. Enjoy those diminishing returns until you do open a Moebius box & see nothing more than that block of wood, carving knife, & a note telling you to carve away until that 1966 Dizzmobile emerges.

It's a model kit. :rolleyes:

Steve

It's a model kit. :rolleyes:

Steve

And that's an excuse for their constant accuracy & now it seems buildability problems? Again, as long as people are apologists for them there's no incentive for improvement on their part. I'm not asking for a "perfect kit", merely one that I don't have to re-engineer to build correctly out of the box or that fails to look like an accurate scale representation of the 1/1.

And that's an excuse for their constant accuracy & now it seems buildability problems? Again, as long as people are apologists for them there's no incentive for improvement on their part. I'm not asking for a "perfect kit", merely one that I don't have to re-engineer to build correctly out of the box or that fails to look like an accurate scale representation of the 1/1.

It sounds like you are looking for a different thread. This is a thread about the new kit and it's flaws, and how to correct them.

It sounds like you are looking for a different thread. This is a thread about the new kit and it's flaws, and how to correct them.

Actually no, my comments fit in here well, because it's the typical deal that Moebius does, as well as the first time I've been made aware of the flaws in this kit. Until now, this was going to be the first Moebius automotive kit I bought, (their excellent Lonestar kit aside), as it seemed they had worked out their accuracy issues for once.

Now, with this additional info, even with the means to correct them, I've lost the desire to purchase this, simply because I tire of most everything that they do being flawed &/or otherwise so terribly compromised, & I shouldn't have to re-engineer a kit for what should be an OOB build. In every review post about Moebius kits, glaring errors & issues have been seen, only to have their apologists making every excuse for them that they can think of. I just found said apologists to be conspicuous by their absence overall in this thread, as if they couldn't find an excuse or a spin to justify this problem.

I'll just conclude by saying, I've never read a claim on any "model kit", whether on the box, instruction sheet, or any other publication that they were ever intended to be a 100% accurate, museum quality, exact reproduction of whatever subject they represented.

Where has it ever been written in 50+ years of model kit history that that was ever the intention.

As far as I'm concerned, they're meant to be a reasonable facsimile of the subject.

As far as parts fit goes, to single out one company is ludicrous.

Every model manufacturer from the beginning to the present, has had issues along the way with engineering problems on occasion.

we all probably have a lot of old & new kits to prove it. I know I do.

I have yet to find any manufacturer who gets it right every time, whether that be models, or any other product.

I'll work with what I get, & if I don't like it, I won't buy it.

Steve

I'll just conclude by saying, I've never read a claim on any "model kit", whether on the box, instruction sheet, or any other publication that they were ever intended to be a 100% accurate, museum quality, exact reproduction of whatever subject they represented.

Where has it ever been written in 50+ years of model kit history that that was ever the intention.

As far as I'm concerned, they're meant to be a reasonable facsimile of the subject.

As far as parts fit goes, to single out one company is ludicrous.

Every model manufacturer from the beginning to the present, has had issues along the way with engineering problems on occasion.

we all probably have a lot of old & new kits to prove it. I know I do.

I have yet to find any manufacturer who gets it right every time, whether that be models, or any other product.

I'll work with what I get, & if I don't like it, I won't buy it.

Steve

*Sigh* Where in my comments did I even say I wanted a "100% accurate, museum quality, exact reproduction of whatever subject they represented"? Are you unable to comprehend what I've plainly posted, or are you just attempting to put words in my mouth & spin my comments in order to make it look like I'm wanting a "perfect kit" or to justify Moebius' continued failure to get one single automotive kit out that's not deeply flawed in one area or another?

All I want is an accurate representation of the 1/1 in scale, (I'm going to address the assembly foibles of this particular kit in a moment), not something with a pebbled texture, (F100), that's even pebbled under the chrome plating, or a rear end that sorta, kinda, somewhat resembles the 1/1, if you squint really, really hard, (Chrysler 300B). Other manufacturers manage to do this kit after kit. Stop making excuses for Moebius. Heck even Revell/Monogram has corrected some of their more gratuitous errors over the years. Witness the sloping DLO on the initial run of the 69 Charger kit that they corrected, & the reversed gas tank on their 69 Nova that they fixed. Too bad they neglected to correct the numerous body flaws in that kit, but at least they did fix one issue.

Point two; we're discussing a currently tooled kit, not something from 15, 25, 35 or 50 years ago, so your argument there is completely invalid. There is simply no excuse, none, zero, zilch, nada for such an egregious fit problem in a kit designed & tooled up in this day & age, with all they have at their disposal. As a fan of their S/F & monster kits, I know from personal experience that they can do better than they have in the filed of automotive kits, which is why the garbage they crank out for the auto segment of our hobby is so damned frustrating, combined with how nice their Lonestar kit is in comparison. Gaffes such as I've listed in this thread on all of their auto kits are par for the course for them, & sadly not the exception.

Part of the problem is this segment of the hobby is so notorious for accepting anything the manufacturers churn out if the subject matter appeals to them, that they'll accept inaccurate or flawed kits that builders in the other segments wouldn't waste their time with. But no, we get people saying "Tamiya like quality!" "Best kit ever!" "I don't care how inaccurate or bad these kits are I've waited so long for them that I'll re-engineer them completely if needed! I'll buy a case...., no two cas.....wait! I'll buy three cases of them!" Remember, it doesn't cost them one penny more to get the kits right the first time than it does to get them wrong.

And with that said, I'm done with this conversation. It's time to put you on ignore, as you simply aren't worth my time in trying to get you to see the forest, & not only the trees. Have a nice life.

Edited by Bob Turner2

And with that said, I'm done with this conversation. It's time to put you on ignore, as you simply aren't worth my time in trying to get you to see the forest, & not only the trees. Have a nice life.

Well, that is good news.

It's always so nice to have civilized conversations with people.

I am having a nice life, thank you. :)

Steve

If one goes thru life expecting 100% pefection on anything and everything and everytime, your setting yourself up for some serious dis-appontments in life

its not heart surgery , its a model kit for petes sake.

Would I like perfection ?  Sure would .      Will I accept less than perfect ? sure

So sue me

as to the OP<,,,,,,thank you. It gives me a heads up for later on for when I build a MODEL CAR