Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two OTAKI models

Pisul

Hello,

I've been looking through my grandfather stuff during Christmas (Grandpa passed away 25 years ago) and I've found something interesting.
He was collecting train models TT and N, but in dozens of boxes containing those I've found two OTAKI Plastic Models. These are Alfa Romeo Coupe 33 and Lamborghini Miura P400.
Both are 1:16 scale and are in PERFECT condition, they were never opened nor used. As they are something around 30-40 years old I think they might be pretty valuable, that's why I am not planning to build them, but to sell them.
Do you know how much may they cost? I mean, I've seen this Alfa Romeoon the Ebay for 200$ with damaged box, while mine, as I've mentioned before, is in 100% perfect condition.
I haven't found Miura anywhere on the net so it might be pretty rare especially considering their age.

I attached photos of boxes and the parts inside it.

DSC_0407.JPG

DSC_0408.JPG

DSC_0409.JPG

DSC_0410.JPG

You can do a completed items search on eBay to get an idea of what items are actually selling for and what they are "worth". Also, thanks for joining the forum, but this is less a review and more a question which should be placed in the question section.

As for value - if you really want to know what something is worth at a given time, list it on eBay for a low start and see where it ends. There is no better way to guage value than to put it to the market. As has been done, the Alfa kit had fetched around $100 on eBay and the Muira kit around $40, both USD. Your examples are in splendid condition, but neither kit is ultra rare (don't let eBay listings fool you - you can put rare, ultra rare, mostest rare kit ever, on any listing), so there is some competition.

• The Otaki kits are nice and usually cover subjects that are unusual. One in mind is the 1972 Thunderbird in 1/24 scale. In this respect, it is interesting to see your kits. Now we know what they look like.
  • With respect to value, nobody knows exactly. Some kits are easy to guess, some not. I agree with the other comment that eBay may help you if you check the completed listings for selling price. I checked and I found one sold for $125 and another at no bids at $90. If you think that it is worth $200, put 200 in the reserve price and see what happens in an auction. I suggest this because, while you believe it is worth $200, it may only sell for example $50 in one auction. Ebay can be capricious.

Here's my two cents. You can take all the advice that was given because it is good. I finally got my feet wet last year as a seller on eBay after only being a buyer for the last 13 years. My advice is look at the best sellers, use a good title, take lots of pictures, and give a good description of the contents, and make sure you have added enough postage and handling to cover anywhere, plus the 15% eBay will charge. They're going to take about that much from your sale as well. Finally, try to end your auction on the weekend, Friday thru Sunday in east coast prime time (8 pm - 11 pm). Hope this helps.

Here's my two cents. You can take all the advice that was given because it is good. I finally got my feet wet last year as a seller on eBay after only being a buyer for the last 13 years. My advice is look at the best sellers, use a good title, take lots of pictures, and give a good description of the contents, and make sure you have added enough postage and handling to cover anywhere, plus the 15% eBay will charge. They're going to take about that much from your sale as well. Finally, try to end your auction on the weekend, Friday thru Sunday in east coast prime time (8 pm - 11 pm). Hope this helps.

Good points Tim - post as many high quality photos as possible - US eBay is 12. Also, non-scientifically evaluated...weeks with holidays are good weeks to list - people sitting around looking at eBay...

I try to end listings on Saturday. It is a high traffic day and gives you time to receive payments, package, and ship by Monday. 

Both kits seem very nice, for their time, boxes look great (corners, no fading or mildew + every parts still sealed) yours looks like late 60s early 70s OTAKI very first editions, final Prices can be tricky especially on eBay: way over top OR...pretty average, depending who's fighting with you & as mention when!

Rarety of those in original OTAKI boxes is true, BUT important to remember that most of the 1/16 OTAKI cars kit molds are still with us, including the MIURA & AR33.  FUJIMI now owns,( since the late 80s), most  molds of OTAKI former 1/16 car kit line    

• The Otaki kits are nice and usually cover subjects that are unusual. One in mind is the 1972 Thunderbird in 1/24 scale. In this respect, it is interesting to see your kits. Now we know what they look like.
  • With respect to value, nobody knows exactly. Some kits are easy to guess, some not. I agree with the other comment that eBay may help you if you check the completed listings for selling price. I checked and I found one sold for $125 and another at no bids at $90. If you think that it is worth $200, put 200 in the reserve price and see what happens in an auction. I suggest this because, while you believe it is worth $200, it may only sell for example $50 in one auction. Ebay can be capricious.

I'd like to see a review of Otakl's '72 Thunderbird. I've always been a little fearful of the kit looking at the box.

Does anybody else remember that the 1/24 kits were also released as S.W.A.T. versions?  Yes, as in "police!"  A '72 T-Bird SWAT car was truly a weird and awesome thing to behold.  As I remember, these kits were "1/24-ish" and looked bigger when compared to Monogram etc.  They were also re-issued by ARII.

Here's a 2011 Worthpoint ad with pictures of the OTAKI box contents:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1972-ford-thunderbird-otaki-24-model-21115208

If anybody saved their Sept. 1997 issue of Car Modeler magazine, Jack Swenson reviewed the OTAKI SWAT T-Bird.  Here's a 1998 thread mentioning it, along with Tim Boyd and Larry Greenberg's comments on the kits. I may have that issue somewhere in the basement:

http://www.foundcollection.com/18_c8cd0194a0194ddf_1.htm

Edited by Mike999
Error

Does anybody else remember that the 1/24 kits were also released as S.W.A.T. versions?  Yes, as in "police!"  A '72 T-Bird SWAT car was truly a weird and awesome thing to behold.  As I remember, these kits were "1/24-ish" and looked bigger when compared to Monogram etc.  They were also re-issued by ARII.

Here's a 2011 Worthpoint ad with pictures of the OTAKI box contents:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1972-ford-thunderbird-otaki-24-model-21115208

If anybody saved their Sept. 1997 issue of Car Modeler magazine, Jack Swenson reviewed the OTAKI SWAT T-Bird.  Here's a 1998 thread mentioning it, along with Tim Boyd and Larry Greenberg's comments on the kits. I may have that issue somewhere in the basement:

http://www.foundcollection.com/18_c8cd0194a0194ddf_1.htm

There was a thread with those kits on it somewhere on MCM forum...

• 1 month later...