Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 36 Ford

slownlow

Its been a while since I posted so here's an update. I've got the chop done (buy the AMT version) and have the fenders repositioned on the body. After a lot of head scratching over the geometry of the hood. By moving the front fenders "up" the hood had to be shortened about 1/16". So where to cut it and how to make the sides blend was the question. I made the cut behind where the hood contacts the radiator shroud and then removed a pie section out of the middle of the rear half. That let the two pieces blend. Then a small mount of filing so the back of the hood matched the cowl. I made a paper template to make sure my geometry worked. To get the front low enough to suit me I made a rediculously dropped axel. If this was real you probably couldn't drive over a peanut. This is a very fussy model. The assembly sequence needs the interior to be attached to the body before the top is installed. This prevents correcting that annoying alignment problem of the moldings of the top and the moldings of the body so steps are being taken to allow the top to be attached prior to painting. The wheel covers will be the concentric ring style. No thought yet about colors.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The "nose" still looks a little high. This is a common problem with this kit. The grill surround sits to high and needs to be trimmed where it meets the front fenders. I fought this on both of the ones I built even using the stock grill.

I agree Epso that has bothered me too. The car as it is now looks like it's "broke" in the middle, sloping from the grill to the cowl and from the rear to the cowl. Some careful measurements were made and the hood is actually flat relative to the ground. I think your solution is a good one. How much did you trim.