Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Cameo Pro Touring build UPDATE 2-23-16

Little update for you guys.  Although I  haven't worked on this one in a while, I did last night. It has hit a stand still....all the mods for the SSR Interior were for nothing.

The cab will not sit all the way down in the rear so it isn't touching the frame...causing the bed side bodylines to not line up...so its off to the junk pile for that interior. Will have to use the 55 interior :( I sat both interior tubs side by side from the beginning. The SSR tub was taller, so I took my air buffer to it and thinned it out as much as possible without going through the plastic. They sat the same height. Well I thought.

When I sprayed the interior yesterday, and then went to put it in the cab then sit it on the frame, it looked perfect.......then I noticed the severe rake from the rear of the cab. I placed the bed on, and the body lines are not even close to lining up between the cab and it. I couldn't mock up the bed with the sides on it because I didn't want to glue it and not be able to get it apart for paint or screw up my body work on it.

Oh well, looks like I'll have to use the 55 interior with the SSR Bucket seats.

Little update for you guys.  Although I  haven't worked on this one in a while, I did last night. It has hit a stand still....all the mods for the SSR Interior were for nothing.

The cab will not sit all the way down in the rear so it isn't touching the frame...causing the bed side bodylines to not line up...so its off to the junk pile for that interior. Will have to use the 55 interior :( I sat both interior tubs side by side from the beginning. The SSR tub was taller, so I took my air buffer to it and thinned it out as much as possible without going through the plastic. They sat the same height. Well I thought.

When I sprayed the interior yesterday, and then went to put it in the cab then sit it on the frame, it looked perfect.......then I noticed the severe rake from the rear of the cab. I placed the bed on, and the body lines are not even close to lining up between the cab and it. I couldn't mock up the bed with the sides on it because I didn't want to glue it and not be able to get it apart for paint or screw up my body work on it.

Oh well, looks like I'll have to use the 55 interior with the SSR Bucket seats.

Thought you should be able to file or cut a bit more off that interior to make it work... but it's a pity you can't, it looked great in there.

Save it for another build mate, never throw that stuff away.   

Thought you should be able to file or cut a bit more off that interior to make it work... but it's a pity you can't, it looked great in there.

Save it for another build mate, never throw that stuff away.   

I wish I could. If I go any thinner, the floor will be non existent. So it's pretty much a dead end on that.

Edited by lghtngyello03

Why not use the 55 floor with the rest of the new interior? You could transfer over the console. 

I tried the entire 55 tub with the SSR console...way more work than I want to have to do. I'm ready to be done with this build, lol.. Is that bad? I'll have some interior pics up tonight of the 55 tub. Or what I have done to it.

Here's a quick awaited update. As some of you read......I couldn't use the SSR interior...but I did utilize the bucket seats still though. Here is the 55 tub and SSR buckets after paint and some embossing powder. 

The dash will get a 2 tone treatment of thr tan up top like a dash pad, and the orange body color on the bottom.

2016-02-17 20.13.41.jpg

2016-02-17 21.08.22.jpg

2016-02-17 21.11.03.jpg

Edited by lghtngyello03

Got the dash two toned tonight. Still have to detail it, I'm wondering how the heck I'm gonna do the gauges, there wasn't a decal in the kit for them. Anyone know of one made?

Also test fitted all the glass...fits like a glove when it's pushed in right.  Still have to paint the edges of the glass for the gaskets. 

Also is a teaser of the truck with the bed mocked up. Fitment is perfect! Engine cover is unpainted as I dunno which way to go with it. I'm stuck between black with orange in the middle, gunmetal with orange in the middle, or the tan of the interior with orange in the middle.

2016-02-18 22.08.26.jpg

2016-02-18 22.37.05.jpg

2016-02-18 22.37.49.jpg

2016-02-18 22.38.59.jpg

2016-02-18 22.38.40.jpg

Edited by lghtngyello03

I wish I could. If I go any thinner, the floor will be non existent. So it's pretty much a dead end on that.

just scribe around the floor until it drops out then either saw a narrow band off the bottom edges of the tub, or make a mark on how much it nneeds to drop down then use a sanding block and coarse paper or a belt sander to shorten the tub, then just drop the floor back in and glue it in place, then if you have to shorten the bottom mounting surface of the seats if they are to tall. But if they aren't to tall sitting on the '55 floor pan then they shouldn't need to be cut for the SSR interior.