Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is the Revell '77 GMC wrecker. It's not very detailed and it comes with a molded-in engine, nothing too hard to fix though.568be3fb6ef3e_77_Flatbed.thumb.JPG.4a23d

I painted the cab Tremclad rattle-can automotive high-gloss aluminum. I'll be going for a clean look with some lift, wooden flatbed, and single-stack.568be3c56d996_77_Flatbed_(2).thumb.JPG.5

The shorter piece of wood is to leave some room for the stack.

568be3d493f92_77_Flatbed_(3).thumb.JPG.2

The chassis. I used the Dremel to cut out the molded-in engine. I used scrap plastic to make motor-mounts and I also made my own exhaust out of the parts tree.

568be3e278611_77_Flatbed_(4).thumb.JPG.8

This is the engine I will be using. It was lying around so I built it and I'm planning on putting it in. It is the Chrysler 440 Magnum from the '68 Charger kit.568be3f0477de_77_Flatbed_(5).thumb.JPG.0

Keep in mind I'm only 12, so I can't really buy styrene, a good air brush,... etc.

That said, it doesn't mean that you should keep your comments and criticisms.

Jay

Got some progress done on the flatbed.

Here's a mock up to show the lift I decided to make. I just had to make the pins stick out of their mounting points. I also decided to make it 4WD, which was actually my previous plan. So I found a scrap piece of plastic that looked sort of like a Dana 60 and I modified it a little to look better.

Sorry about the blurry pic.

568f004f2b443_77_Flatbed_(6).thumb.JPG.d568f0059ef28c_77_Flatbed_(7).thumb.JPG.9

I painted the dash board chrome-silver and the interior tub flat black.

568f0065b4d7a_77_Flatbed_(8).thumb.JPG.d

I will add detail to both of these pieces to make them more realistic. I'm still not sure what kind of bumper I want to make (I used the original bumper on an other build.) So any ideas will be considered. I was actually thinking of making a simple straight-tube bumper, but I'd also like something a bit more aggressive and mean looking. Please leave your comments, ideas and criticisms.

Jay

P.S. I know that I don't have the front driveshaft and transfer case on in these pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Worked on it some more. I used the transmission shifter from the '68 Charger and the original wrecker shifter as a transfer case shifter. I painted the knobs gloss red, but the flash makes them look orange.569a650a218a6_77_Flatbed_(9).thumb.JPG.d

The dash was painted silver at first, but I painted the top of it flat black and the area around the gages semi-gloss black. The semi-gloss black didn't stick very well to the dials, making them look like decals, but they aren't. I then touched it up with gloss red and a tooth pick.

569a659899105_77_Flatbed_(10).thumb.JPG.

I blacked out the grill and made the headlights look more realistic by brushing gray over top of the chrome.569a65a38b962_77_Flatbed_(11).thumb.JPG.

Then I made the tail light panel.569a65ae9e8bd_77_Flatbed_(12).thumb.JPG.

Thanks for looking.

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

I worked on it some more and added a few details to make it a little more unique.

I added a winch and tow hooks to get a more aggressive and trail-ready look out of the bumper.56bbe10b4cc05_20160210_1959411.thumb.jpgI also added the 440 decals from the '68 Charger and painted the diff cover red.56bbe1278d218_20160210_2002431.thumb.jpgHere are two pics of the front axle. One with a light and one without.56bbe1570d044_20160210_2006071.thumb.jpg56bbe17171f46_20160210_2006231.thumb.jpgFeedback appreciated! Thanks for looking!

Jay

Jeremy,

You did a real fine job on this project ! There is nothing wrong with your model building skills. And the fancy tools etc will come later on.

Just keep on building. This is a hobby you can keep going back to over the years. As evidenced by so many of the older guys on the Forum. Me included.

I for one would like to see you build a semi tractor. I know you would do a fone job on it.

Be Well

Gator

Jeremy,

You did a real fine job on this project ! There is nothing wrong with your model building skills. And the fancy tools etc will come later on.

Just keep on building. This is a hobby you can keep going back to over the years. As evidenced by so many of the older guys on the Forum. Me included.

I for one would like to see you build a semi tractor. I know you would do a fone job on it.

Be Well

Gator

Thanks Gator! And it's true, because I got a mini professional airbrush this Christmas! I might actually buy a semi pretty soon, because you're very right. I probably would do a nice job on it. Thanks again Gator, and everyone else too!

Jay