Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO - International Prostar

So, to folow the recent theme of posts here, here's what will become my entry into the BRBO contest.

I'm going with the Moebius Prostar kit, along with the Moebius box trailer kit.

I have a couple of themes in mind of this one, both very different. Still not sure which one I'll be going with for the contest, so I guess just wait and see.

I have noticed a few things. First, I really like how these Moebius kits are packaged. Very little chance of damage or crushing. Second, holy detail. There are a lot of parts with this truck. I have a Moebius Ford Ranger too, and I love how many pieces are included. Third, excellent instructions. Very detailed pics, good descriptions. Now we'll just have to see if they are accurate! Fourth, I noticed the trailer doors are molded shut. I'm thinking I'll need to figure out a way to build this with the doors being usable.

WP_20160101_001.jpg

WP_20160101_007.jpg

Good choice for a tractor unit. And the trailer fits well. It is amusing that you want to open the doors on the trailer. For years the AMT trailer had doors that opened and most people glued them shut. Though in the last few years people have really started to detail the interiors  on the trailers .

Looking forward to following this build.

Be Well

Gator

This is a great kit. I really enjoyed building both my Moebius trucks and trailers. My only gripe with the a Prostar is the frame is too short for my liking. It's great if your gonna build a "fleet" truck. If you want to stretch it, I have some frame rail material if you need some.

you'll enjoy building this, fantastic kit. only issues i had were the gap for the hood hinge [where the radiator assembly mates up] and the floor to cab supports. other than that, pour glue in the box, shake it up, and out comes a truck, lol.

Good choice for a tractor unit. And the trailer fits well. It is amusing that you want to open the doors on the trailer. For years the AMT trailer had doors that opened and most people glued them shut. Though in the last few years people have really started to detail the interiors  on the trailers .

Looking forward to following this build.

Be Well

Gator

For one of the two themes I'm working on, being able to see into the trailer will be amusing for those who understand it. Come to think of it, both themes could make do with opening doors. SO I guess this makes it easy. Doors will be opening. 

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Should be getting this one started before the end of the month. I hope.

For one of the two themes I'm working on, being able to see into the trailer will be amusing for those who understand it. Come to think of it, both themes could make do with opening doors. SO I guess this makes it easy. Doors will be opening. 

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Should be getting this one started before the end of the month. I hope.

I say go for it !
  Over the years there has  been a couple of people that detailed the inside of the trailers they built. There is a lot that can be done to the inside if you have the notion to do it.

I have thought about it , but it is not high on the  model bucket list .

Oh my comment was not in any way intended as a slur or any other negative type comment.

Be Well

Gator

Dan, clear some shelf space for the finished product.............this truck and trailer together come in at around 3 foot long:D

No kidding! Just looking at the trailer pieces, this thing will be huge! I love it! 

I've got two of these kits (both truck & trailer) so if I mess up the rear doors, I have a backup. Still, I don't think it will be too bad. As for the contents, I'll get to practice my scratchbuilding and weathering skills. Maybe some LED lighting too. 

I'm planning on getting started this weekend. Will see if the kiddies let me proceed with that plan!

• 3 weeks later...

I tell you what.....I absolutely LUV these Moebius kits.....They are spectacular.....About the ONLY thing I don't like about the Prostar is the length of the frame....As Clayton has pointed out.....But put a 1" stretch on it, and it looks awesome.....And the instructions are a BIG improvement over the ones that come with the Lonestar.....And that trailer kit is BONKERS !! You're going to love how it looks once completed, be Beware.....Make sure you check the trailer sides....The mounting tabs, in particular......There IS indeed a top and a bottom to them.....I know of one modeler that got this wrong.....Awesome kit, though.....Awesome kit....Can't wait to see what you do with it.....

The next one I do will be done up like this bad boy......

Edited by kilrathy10

Should be a great build to follow. I haven't built a Pro Star yet but I'm glad JT mentioned the instructions being simpler. I've built hundreds of models in my lifetime and I found the Lone Star instructions to be more complicated than they really needed to be.

Well, I've officially started this one. Haven't done much, but I have done something. Got the body pieces out, cut them from the sprues, sanded them smooth and test fit everything. The cab seems to be slightly warped, but when I put the rear cab wall in place, everything pretty much straightened out. I think once the interior is in place and everything is glued together, there should be no problems.

WP_20160127_013.jpg

WP_20160127_015.jpg

Everything does go together well.....However, when you get to installing the radiator to the chassis, that part can be a little tricky.....Make SURE you test fit where everything goes in relation to the hood and bumper tilt mechanism.....That seems to give everybody fits.....Stumped me, too when I built my first one, but I eventually figured out how it's supposed to work....

Here you go.....This is my build thread....This is how it is supposed to look.....

Totally not trying to take over your thread, by the way..... :D I hope you don't think that......Just trying to help, as anyone here would tell you.....

0261024x645_zpsfbce9e6f.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Everything does go together well.....However, when you get to installing the radiator to the chassis, that part can be a little tricky.....Make SURE you test fit where everything goes in relation to the hood and bumper tilt mechanism.....That seems to give everybody fits.....Stumped me, too when I built my first one, but I eventually figured out how it's supposed to work....

Here you go.....This is my build thread....This is how it is supposed to look.....

Totally not trying to take over your thread, by the way..... :D I hope you don't think that......Just trying to help, as anyone here would tell you.....

It's all good! Everyone here has tips and tricks. Makes things go smoother, and makes everyone else's builds look better. Advice and help will never be frowned upon. Not by me anyway. :)

It's the weekend, so I should be able to actually slap some glue on this thing over the next couple of days. And it's warm, I may be able to get some painting done. Fingers crossed.

Got some work done over the weekend. 

First step, skim through my Prostar brochure and see if there are any decent engine pics so I can get the colours right! Only one engine pics, and it's tiny, so I continue my Google image search.

The second thing I did was snag some of the boy's Lego to build a jig to make sure my frame was straight. Weighted it down with paint cans. End result was a successful, perfectly square and straight frame.

I'll actually start getting some paint on this thing tonight. I think.

WP_20160131_003.jpg

WP_20160131_005.jpg

WP_20160131_001.jpg

WP_20160131_011.jpg

WP_20160131_013.jpg