Model Cars Magazine Forum

B.R.B.O. Diamond Reo C-1164DFL

I'm quite excited about being part of this build. I do think I may be in a little over my head though as I have only built a couple of Big Rigs in my past. Along with the many kits I have collected over the years I have this AMT Diamond Reo that I bought at least 15 years ago. I'd say it is time to get this thing done!

Being so green in the Big Rig field I stand to learn a lot from this build. I have been doing my research on the Diamond Reo but haven't been able to come up with to much aside from a few pictures of both the 1:1 and 1:25 trucks. So, as I work through this build I am completely open to suggestions and comments.

Planning for this project started on Monday when I first read about the build. Digging through my stash I found a Texaco plated tanker and thought it would go nicely with the Diamond Reo. While diving a little deeper in my research I came across a post where the exact same combination of DR and plated tanker have been built together. I don't want to copy the build, so I'll switch up the colors on the rig and frame of the trailer in an attempt to be a little different.

In the beginning.

I'll be building the kit pictured below without the sleeper to represent a day cab as though Texaco has just accepted delivery. 

Off to get this rig rolling!

Welcome to the Darkside of truck model building ! ON the old AMT kits be careful with the frame crossmembers. The ends that go into the frame rails are not square.

If you get the chassis square it will make the rest of the build a bit easier.  Good luck. And like Terry said.Any questions just ask .

Be Well

Gator

I like your choice I haven't built a D.R. for maybe 20 years and it was a pain becuase I didn't know about the cross members that Gator mentioned.  I think you have a nice combo in mind and I like that truck better myself as a day cab. Good luck. Question? Ask the answers are here and plenty, pretty much everyone in BRBO has helped me plenty.

Rich

Thanks for the picture Jim.

Yes, it will be something like that but with the AMT Texaco trailer. I like the chrome look.

I finish the frame of the tractor tonight but still need to paint it. Will get to that tomorrow in between football games and will post some progress shots.