Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is this too many models

After a good friend passed several years ago without much warning and then watching what his family went thru to sell off his 1/1 collection of cars and parts . I came to the realization I was never going to build everything I had.

So I sold a major portion of the stash , some on ebay some at swap meets. I am not down to something in the 450 or so range. Even at that I think I might thin down a little more . At the age of 56 now, I know I'll never build them all , or even come close . And a good portion of mine are kits that will not bring big money . But,  I do have maybe  between 50 and 100 kits / builders that would bring decent cash even in todays market . I plan to retire in the next 5 years and move to Arizona to be closer to the wifes family and much warmer weather.  Once settled models will become a major time waister if I have anything to do with it . So fellas . I say look at your age  and or health and think about what your family would have to deal with .

There's no such thing as "too many" models. My wife may disagree with that statement though. But then again, she also feels there's such a thing as "too many guitars."

Crazy.

I don't have as many as most of you guys, but there's still a backlog here that I wonder if I'll ever get them all built!

WP_20160110_001.jpg

My wife sometimes thinks that I have too many models, but I only have about 2 dozen.  But then again, she has over 200 Barbie dolls.  Her basic feeling is that it is okay as long as I keep the area looking neat and that I don't spend money on them that is needed for more important things.  I can't fault her for that.  I think that what bothers some people is if they see a picture that has 10 - 20 of the same kit in it as opposed to 10 - 20 different kits.  Their thinking is "Why do you need more than one of the same kit?"  I only have multiples of a couple kits.  One that I was going to use in the Sleeperball Run last year and some NASCAR kits that I got at a great price.  Some people have mentioned in here about the difficulties in selling kits.  One thing with that is the shipping.  When the shipping costs can cause the price of a kit to double or more, it becomes a problem.  I bought most of mine locally from flea markets and such.  I am waiting to see what this summer will bring.

There's no such thing as "too many" models. My wife may disagree with that statement though. But then again, she also feels there's such a thing as "too many guitars."

Crazy.

I don't have as many as most of you guys, but there's still a backlog here that I wonder if I'll ever get them all built!

WP_20160110_001.jpg

Too many guitars? Oh I think not young man... Too many stompboxes? An argument could be made............

This is a funny argument since there is no right or wrong. I'm down to three guitars at the moment and only one half stack and one practice amp. I have perhaps as many as 30 stompers. Just got the 5150 O/D and that thing is awesome. I also have a Klon Centaur from the 80's that I bought when new. Thinking of selling that since I no longer use it and they go for stupid money.

Crazy.

WP_20160110_001.jpg

Looks kind of like my work area, except not as many unfinished models, and all my guitars are in one piece

• 4 weeks later...

i guess i fall into the same group as Harry. i buy to build. .....at the moment is the most kits i have ever had, a whopping 8....

Put me in that same minimalist category. 16 altogether in the photo below (Monogram 32nd scale Kenworth in the non-kit box at the top, combination of '32 Ford & '69 Chevelle in the '69 Vette box, acquired the Luv just a few days ago) Not seen are a Monogram '60 Chev panel Street Fighter kit, two glue bomb Quickslivers, a Revell VW GTI, and an Italeri Willys Jeep. Seven of this entire lot are keepers. Six are destined to be robbed of parts (Crown Vic already robbed of 'em for my GSL "Group 15" model) and then will be up for trade or sale along with the remaining ones within the next several months -- except for the Blazers/Jimmy, since I haven't yet figured out which is the most desirable for a factory stock project. The '62 Vette was the giftaway kit from the 2015 GSL contest, and the complete Kenworth kit was an included but unneeded item in an ebay glue bomb 32 scale Ford truck auction I won. I suppose that Ford plus two other glue bombs I recently re-kitted would bring my total to 24.

kit_collection.thumb.JPG.3e5d31cfda3c8ad

Okay, here's my take on all of this..

I have a large model car collection.  I don't drink (much!), smoke, own a boat or partake in other expensive hobbies.  I don't spend money needed for the family or our future on models. So if I see something I want, or I see cheap kits at the next show, I buy them!   I never had any delusions of building them all.  It's a collection.  It's good to have a kit on hand when I get an idea for a new project.  It's good to have two of the same kit when I'm building in case one kit has a bad part, or I ruin a part. At least I feel better knowing I have that option.  Think of it as storing kits to be built by the next generation if you must.  But I enjoy owning them.

What I cannot understand is guys who are retiring, and 'downsize' their home to one that doesn't have room for their hobby?  Heck, what are you planning on doing in your retirement?  Same question to those guys who sell of their collection now so their spouse won't have to deal with it later.  Why cheat yourself out of years of enjoyment?

I'm 57 now and technically could fall off my perch at any time. It happens in our age group.  My wife knows the name and number of a trusted dealer friend who buys collections from the dearly departed when and if the time comes.  In the meantime I'm going to have fun and enjoy the hobby. I'm looking forward to retiring some 10 years from now and having more time to devote to the hobby.. not sitting around watching TV because I don't have room for model cars!

Edited by Tom Geiger

On my budget I never use funds for the household needs they always come first they have to.  Then if anything is left its put up which is never much and if we do not need it for anything after time goes by and its grown any I might get to buy myself something to tinker with.  In my house I always put my own wants last our budget requires it 90% of the time and I am ok with that...one has to do what they have to.

Far as having too many kits or rebuilders or projects....one can never have enough if they use them to relax or pass the time with...there are much worse hobbies.

I have a large model car collection.  I don't drink (much!), smoke, own a boat or partake in other expensive hobbies.  I don't spend money needed for the family or our future on models. So if I see something I want, or I see cheap kits at the next show, I buy them!   I never had any delusions of building them all.  It's a collection.  It's good to have a kit on hand when I get an idea for a new project.  It's good to have two of the same kit when I'm building in case one kit has a bad part, or I ruin a part. At least I feel better knowing I have that option.  Think of it as storing kits to be built by the next generation if you must.  But I enjoy owning them.

What I cannot understand is guys who are retiring, and 'downsize' their home to one that doesn't have room for their hobby?  Heck, what are you planning on doing in your retirement?  Same question to those guys who sell of their collection now so their spouse won't have to deal with it later.  Why cheat yourself out of years of enjoyment?

I'm 57 now and technically could fall off my perch at any time. It happens in our age group.  My wife knows the name and number of a trusted dealer friend who buys collections from the dearly departed when and if the time comes.  In the meantime I'm going to have fun and enjoy the hobby. I'm looking forward to retiring some 10 years from now and having more time to devote to the hobby.. not sitting around watching TV because I don't have room for model cars!

Tom , I think that the way you look at your hobby is how it should be done. You have a very healthy outlook on it and after reading your post it's giving me a more healthier outlook on my end. You seem sincere and honest with yourself about where you are at with this awesome hobby of ours and I Have great administration for you after reading where you are at in the modeling hobby. So Tom ,Thank you for opening my eyes up just a little bit more.           Jeff 

We think exactly alike. ,,,except I'm 56 . And I have no interest in scaleing down my stash because I know I'll never build them all. They're mine,,,all mine and mine alone.

When the time comes I see my wife selling off the unbuilt common stuff. But I have serious doubts her or my 2 girls will let the built stuff go anywhere. ( both my girls love old cars ,,,and each want one of there own someday. )  

except for the Blazers/Jimmy, since I haven't yet figured out which is the most desirable for a factory stock project.

MPC snap kit hands down. The kit is a '75 with the one-piece roof. Use the Revell snap kit as a template or roof swap to get the '76-'91 style roof. Grille from the Revell kit can also be made to work in the MPC body to make it a '77-'79. B)

I agree with your thinking Tom, except that I will be thinning out some of my collection as I don't envision building all 250+ kits I have. I am a couple years younger and plan on building for years to come, but I have decided that there are some kits that fit into theme builds and others will be parted out or traded off.

My wife has been to a couple of shows with me and has an idea of what to sell them for if she should have to; I do know she has the sense to not drop them off at Goodwill or load up the garbage can with them.

I agree with your thinking Tom, except that I will be thinning out some of my collection as I don't envision building all 250+ kits I have. I am a couple years younger and plan on building for years to come, but I have decided that there are some kits that fit into theme builds and others will be parted out or traded off.

My wife has been to a couple of shows with me and has an idea of what to sell them for if she should have to; I do know she has the sense to not drop them off at Goodwill or load up the garbage can with them.

I have never sold off any of my kits. There have been times a friend needed a certain kit, so I parted with it.  I do agree that your tastes can change over time, so I do have kits that I no longer have interest in. I may put some of those up for sale in the future.... not to thin the herd, but to raise funds to buy kits I do like!

Glad to hear your wife isn't measuring your collection by how many trash barrels they'd fill, or in my case how many 20 yard dumpsters!  Believe me, it's happened!

In fact a friend of mine was cleaning out his deceased in-laws house. His wife was throwing away everything.  He remembered I was a stamp collector so he rescued his father in law's collection... already in two huge black bags!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Though I have stuff I'll never get to if I live to build another 20 years, I'm still buying, but not at the rate I once was. A few recent acquisitions have replaced long-stalled projects in the "get back to it this year lineup", but juggling projects on the shelves has rekindled my interest in some of them, and solutions to problems have just seemed to materialize.

My insistence that I see my oversize kit collection primarily as a resource for bits and pieces has been proven valid too. I just happened to have the really oddball-size racing tires needed for a resin Chevron B-16 project I just started, and enough 1/24 Chebby smallblock performance bits, like a Z-28-style cross-ram manifold and carbs (from a Monogram '57 I had little interest in...until now, envisioning a what-if road-racer carrying the guts from an Accurate Miniatures Corvette) to get going on the Gunze 250GTO hot-rod too.

There are several kits on the shelf I wouldn't buy today, knowing now how bad they are...like the old Revell 356 Porsche Speedster...but I still think it might be fun to build some of them box-stock, just 'cause.

I have friends who have an idea of the potential value of all the stuff, and who will make some kind of effort to see it goes to good homes if and when I shuffle off the mortal coil. At least that's good to know.B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Now that makes a lot of sense ?

MPC [Blazer] snap kit hands down. The kit is a '75 with the one-piece roof. Use the Revell snap kit as a template or roof swap to get the '76-'91 style roof. Grille from the Revell kit can also be made to work in the MPC body to make it a '77-'79. B)

Thanks! I'd already bookmarked your MPC thread for reference, used to own a '77 for a short time, might have to do a thread of my own later on what's collectively usable among the Rev/MPC/M'gram kits.