Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Mustang- Eleanor--Finally

Jhedir6

First off, big thanks to Greg Wann for casting one of these up for me. Been looking for along time and over the holidays I found a 4 year old thread talking about this kit and there were a bunch of posts about Greg making these. I had no real hopes of actually getting one, let alone receiving a reply to my PM but I sent one anyways. I'm convinced that Greg was sitting at his keyboard waiting to reply as I had no sooner stood up from sending my PM to look back at the screen and see a reply. To my surprise I get a "yes I can make you up one", I swear, I cried just a little bit.

After a few back and forth PM's I got a Paypal invoice and my search was coming to an end. And today, its over, well mostly. As nice as Greg's kit is it isn't a full TK. Aside from the AMT 1967 donor kit, I'll still need tire ( parts box fixed that), door handles, photo etch and decals. So I'll have to spend some time this weekend digging through parts boxes for some of what I need that I don't already have with the donor kit, but I'm sure I can come up with some items.

So a couple pics before I did anything:

Body shot:

006_zpsa8bmiuil.jpg

What I got in the box, minus the tires they were mine already. Body, hood,  4 wheels, 4 outer wheel rings, bag of clear resin lights.

005_zpskc6s9jel.jpg

Closeup of one of the wheels I trimmed abit of the flash from. At the moment I have Michelin's on the rims, not correct for Eleanor but I as of yet been unable to find some Goodyear F1's to use

009_zpskdjbmjv1.jpg

I started on some clean up already, I'll post some of those pics later on.

Comment and Criticisms always welcome.

David

Edited by Jhedir6
fix my crappy spelling

First off, big thanks to Greg Wann for casting one of these up for me. Been looking for along time and over the holidays I found a 4 year old thread talking about this kit and there were a bunch of posts about Greg making these. I had no real hopes of actually getting one, let alone receiving a reply to my PM but I sent one anyways. I'm convinced that Greg was sitting at his keyboard waiting to reply as I had no sooner stood up from sending my PM to look back at the screen and see a reply. To my surprise I get a "yes I can make you up one", I swear, I cried just a little bit.

After a few back and forth PM's I got a Paypal invoice and my search was coming to an end. And today, its over, well mostly. As nice as Greg's kit is it isn't a full TK. Aside from the AMT 1967 donor kit, I'll still need tire ( parts box fixed that), door handles, photo etch and decals. So I'll have to spend some time this weekend digging through parts boxes for some of what I need that I don't already have with the donor kit, but I'm sure I can come up with some items.

So a couple pics before I did anything:

Body shot:

006_zpsa8bmiuil.jpg

What I got in the box, minus the tires they were mine already. Body, hood,  4 wheels, 4 outer wheel rings, bag of clear resin lights.

005_zpskc6s9jel.jpg

Closeup of one of the wheels I trimmed abit of the flash from. At the moment I have Michelin's on the rims, not correct for Eleanor but I as of yet been unable to find some Goodyear F1's to use

009_zpskdjbmjv1.jpg

I started on some clean up already, I'll post some of those pics later on.

David

Where did you get those tire from David?

So any truth to the rumor that a transkit w/o the fully body will be sold by anyone soon?

So unless someone has paid license fees to Ford, Foose, Shelby, and Hilacki's widow, any of these cars or parts are technically are violating some patent and/or copyright laws.

As David pointed out the image below is to convert a 2005 Mustang into a Eleanor wanabee.  I guess the side pipes,wheels and perhaps part of the front clip could be used on a 67/68 Mustang with the rest being scratch built.

Eleanor.jpg

Edited by vamach1
doh

I'm surprised that Greg Wann is still selling this resin transkit. It's a known fact that it's a pirated copy of Scaleproduction's Eleanor transkit. How much did you pay for it? 

I wont comment on whether it right or wrong. Everyone will have an opinion and no ones likely to change theirs after hearing what someone from the other side thinks.

Mind if I ask what it cost and how one might get in touch with Greg?

Read this thread, details there on where you can contact Greg and he can quote you a price on the kit and shipping.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/44540-67-eleanor-transkit-available/

So any truth to the rumor that a transkit w/o the fully body will be sold by anyone soon?

So unless someone has paid license fees to Ford, Foose, Shelby, and Hilacki's widow, any of these cars or parts are technically are violating some patent and/or copyright laws.

Eleanor.jpg

That's a photo of SP's Eleanor body kit for the 2005/6 Mustang. Not the Gone in 60 Seconds version. SP is doing a reissue of theirs later this month. Info is up on their FB page.

Small update from me.

Wheels sanded out and flash from the spokes cleaned up. I damaged one spoke out of forty. It'll need some CA and putty to fix. Not a big deal, but still a PITA.

I haven't sanded out the backsides of the wheels yet as I am not sure which tires I'll use.

I removed the inner fender/shock towers and will add them to the chassis after the engine is installed and plumbed.

There is also a small imperfection in the lower grill surround to fix. Nothing difficult. I have more body work to do tonight and hope to get a coat of primer on it in the morning to help see what other body  work is required before paint.

Paint will be from Scale Finishes, their Eleanor Gray/Black combo.

Thanks for looking.

David

Short update

Got some primer on the body to check for imperfections and correct them. Still abit more fine tuning to go.

Interior is mocked in to check fitment and so far looks good. The hood still sits abit high for my liking I need to sand out the front cowl where the hood sits to lower it some more. Looked much worse before I took the above photo, it really stood out.

I de-chromed the rear bumper and had to actually cut it in the middle then re-glue it because the copy is just a hair narrower than the master and there was about .5mm overhang on either side of the rear quarters.

The firewall and inner fenders are now glued to the body. I'll fab some filer plates on the sides of the engine bay to be added in the final assembly.

That's it for tonight.....trailed off this week on building while I'm fighting the flu.

Comments and criticisms welcome and appreciated.

David