Model Cars Magazine Forum

My 1:43 1967 Mustang notchback conversions.

ShawnS

Hi guys,
I have been a collector of 1:43 Australian Fords for years but recently I have been into modifying them just to get a modelling fix while I am waiting for my Mojo to return to 1:24 Falcons.  This is what I've been up to lately.

After years of waiting in vain for someone to release a decent 67/68 Mustang coupe in 1:43 scale, I was stoked to see Spark finally bring one out but after closer examination of the Spark model I noticed that it had a 64-66 nose and interior on a '67 body. It was not good enough for my tastes so I decided to take action and make one myself.

I used the same trick that I (and several others) have used in 1:25 to take the roof from a '65 Mustang coupe and put it on '67 Fastback body. I started with a '65 coupe from Apex and a '67 fastback from Greenlight.

w3jKgj.jpg
W3WNNM.jpg

xQiTVe.jpg
IslzwV.jpg

F13luf.jpg  

WaMerV.jpg

Mtp0Gv.jpg
CTTqF7.jpg

Because I wanted to make a few I had to resin cast the body. Here are three bodies prepped and waiting for paint.

3IK2Ah.jpg

part 2 coming up.

Edited by ShawnS

and finally this car was driven by Niel Allen also in 1968.

I used the chassis, dash, windscreen, grille, bumpers, tail panel and tail lights from the Greenlight '67 and the wheels, brakes, rear window, steering wheel, photoetch, door handles, wipers and rear 1/4 windows from the Apex '65 model. The interior is mostly scratch built with various modified parts from another Mustang.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

ShawnS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Shawn - I'd like to buy a few of these - decal ready, in the right base colours to recreate Allan Moffat's  US Mustang drives the white #22, the yellow/blue #78, the light blue/black bonnet #2 Shelby Racing , the yellow #32 Shelby Racing, and the #2 Watkins Glen winner.   Or how much for just 5 resin bodies and I'll sort out the painting and the chassis?

Excellent conversion and beautiful model!

Your swapping body sections is exactly the technique I had to do here with my Shelby. Why this body style is ignored even in plastic is beyond me since they were more common than the fastbacks but oh well------sometimes we have to go through extreme measures to get what we want. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Shawn - I'd like to buy a few of these - decal ready, in the right base colours to recreate Allan Moffat's  US Mustang drives the white #22, the yellow/blue #78, the light blue/black bonnet #2 Shelby Racing , the yellow #32 Shelby Racing, and the #2 Watkins Glen winner.   Or how much for just 5 resin bodies and I'll sort out the painting and the chassis?

Sorry David, I'm not offering any for sale. I have cast just enough to finish my planned projects plus 2 spares (now down to one) and now the mold is past its best and I'm not willing to make a new one.

Excellent conversion and beautiful model!

Your swapping body sections is exactly the technique I had to do here with my Shelby. Why this body style is ignored even in plastic is beyond me since they were more common than the fastbacks but oh well------sometimes we have to go through extreme measures to get what we want. ;)

Thanks Bill I agree with you 100%. You would have figured someone would have wised up by now.

Hi again guys. I have just recently finished some more Mustangs so here they are.

Thanks

ShawnS

Super nice.  Not too many 1/43 buillders on here.  You would think that Starter would have put out a 67/68 TA Mustang.  It would not surprise me if Spark does some more but it's too bad they messed up the front end.  That's just laziness on their part.  I'd buy some of yours too if you reconsider modeling more.

Edited by vamach1

• 2 weeks later...

So disappointed you don't want to sell  - I'd buy at least 5 of them.  If anyone has a source for 1967/1968 1:43 Notchbacks suitable to recreate the cars in my earlier post, or of repainted Pioneer 1:32 slot car versions, I'm interested. Also looking for 1:43 Peter Stuyvesant Mazdas and any 1:43 Moffat Commodores, plus a 1:43 1995 Cenovis Miedecke/Noske Falcon.

Love the work you've done on these little Mustangs

Over the past year I have become seriously addicted to Australian road racing ... especially up Mount Panorama (Bathurst), my second favorite track, next to Bridgehampton.  If you love road racing and haven't seen it done "Australian Rules", you're really missing something.    Here's a vid of your Mustangs in action at Lakeside in 1967:

Edited by tedd60

Thanks guys, Ted, that video has been a main point of reference for my models of various scales for several years now and even after seeing it several dozens of times I never get sick of it.

as an aside - now I can do a skin for the C. Brauer ATCC Mustang for rFactor.  Whose cars are the 6 and 7?

Car 6 is Bob Jane's '67 GT from the 1967 ATCC race at Lakeside which would become Chris Brauer's car in 1970.  The orange #7 car in the top photos is Bob Jane's ex-Shelby Trans-Am Mustang that he raced in the '69-'70 racing seasons.

CheersSS

Ted, that video has been a main point of reference for my models of various scales for several years now and even after seeing it several dozens of times I never get sick of it.

You build like those guys race!  You are a GREAT builder and an inspiration to others.  It's because of your build that I tore up the front bits of the MGB front suspension I was working on and started over. 

Let me suggest that you keep going to The Mountain to find your muse.  Perhaps you might want to re-watch Jordan Cox in the little Honda pass Scottie Wilson at the top of Panorama this past February.

Edited by tedd60