Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Model A Coupe' 1930 in Balsa Wood

Balsa Manufaktur

Hi... I am new to the Forum. I see a lot of assemblies with incredible details, that make me shy to show my things. Nevertheless, I would really like know what you think about car models in wood which are assembled in a similar way. Just the thickness and weakness of the material make some limitations ...

Here some photos of one of my projects: a Ford Model A Coupe' Deluxe, 1930. Made entirely in Balsawood #1mm in scale 1:20 ... still struggling if I should finish it with a thin layer of natural olive oil. The model is made with lasercutter and can be reproduced. Assembling and finishing by hand... it gives each model a little different character (so far this is what I have seen until now, building some ...)

Ford Model A Detail driver's seat 2.jpg

Ford Model A Detail driver's seat.jpg

Ford Model A Front View.jpg

That's actually really cool. When I read the topic title I imagined a blocky wooden model - yours is quite nice. The thickness of the balsa is masked slightly by the coloration - light colored surfaces and dark sides. 

Very well done !  I was expecting something more "boxy" , but you did a great job.

Thanks a lot to all your replies, it is encouraging. Sure, with wood you cannot reach the details of diecast models, but it is also a lot of fun to start a car from scratch just with blueprint drawings. Not sure if this is common with other materials.The challenge is to find the middle ground between the "wood character" and the details ... in order not to make it bulky or blocky. Still needs some editing of laser cutting ...

In my blog you find some details of the making:

http://balsamanufaktur.blogspot.com.eg/p/about.html 

20151120_103503.jpg

20151120_103511.jpg

Edited by Balsa Manufaktur

MVC-006S

What's in the back? Model kits of course! AMT cases were made on copier, kit boxes were photo reduced.

Nothing wrong with wood! The two models above were done with balsa wood, the bed completely on the Christmas Tree truck and just the floor on the box van.  I do recommend using bass wood, as I did on the below builds, as it's harder so it's easier to work with and holds it's shape better over time. You can see how the floor buckled in the photo above.

MVC-009Sshortyrear1

The purple pickup was my experiment with bass wood.  Then I got bold and built the playhouse.  It's 1/25 scale, built from a 1:1 set of plans from Popular Science Magazine.

Nothing wrong with wood! 

Lovely photos !

I agree, Tom. I guess it is just an unusual material to use it for an entire car and it is not used as a "kit" as I am doing it. Will try your advice for bass wood: actually I am using in the last model I am working on #3mm plywood for the base structure and steering because balsa is definitely too weak. ....

I just know about the old Hudson Miniature of the 40ies and 50ies that they used Balsa Wood for the body (but still many parts like wheels were casted) ...

175139.jpg

175141.jpg

Very nice work.It's great to see how other builders are able to utilize what materials they have available to them to make their models come to life.I think I personally would use some wood putty to add curves and shape to parts like the back of the headlight buckets,but that's just my humble opinion.Thanks for sharing!

Very nice work.It's great to see how other builders are able to utilize what materials they have available to them to make their models come to life.I think I personally would use some wood putty to add curves and shape to parts like the back of the headlight buckets,but that's just my humble opinion.Thanks for sharing!

Thanks a lot for your comment, Tom... I share a couple of more photos to show the "back" of the model ... The tank can be opened ... but yeah, I could add some headlights ...Ford_Model_A_Top_view.thumb.jpg.86a0603bFord_Model_A_Back_View.thumb.jpg.94d9249