Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hope it's not a repeat.

Ok, I did some searching and couldn't find the answer to my question. Sorry if I missed it and asking a repeat. What is the difference between let's say MM acryls and regular hobby acrylics? Thanks for responses.

Depends on what you're referring to as "regular hobby acrylics"... Acryls are what I would call plastic model hobby acrylics. If you're referring to "craft" acrylics, those are mainly for use on porous materials. They are not very durable and I only use them if I want a custom interior - since they make excellent "brushables" and turn dead-flat when dry, they're acceptable for car interiors, but they may be a little too flat, and you may want to try something else. There is a line of craft paints that are satin when dry... Decoart Americana Satin Multi-Surface Acrylic Paint. It's available at craft stores (I even found it at Home Depot) and it's dirt cheap. I've only tried one of these, and I think they went on very similar to flat acrylics.

Hi Aaron

What I use is at the Walmart and I am very satisfied with the acrylics. They have these in the craft section. Apple Barrel gloss and matt and folkart enamels. All are acrylic and dry pretty fast. I use a homemade drying dehydrator to fast dry them and also a heat gun to dry really fast. They aren't very durable without something to protect them. I use Future floor shine to make them glossy. I use the enamels a lot since they seem to be better to withstand handling the model. These are the only ones I use since I am limited to spraying into a booth indoors. I haven't tried any other brands and can't say anything about them. There seems to be a good supply of different colors with these. Can't say they are same colors as the original paint on the 1:1's but I don't paint for exact colors anyway. To me if it is red then I'll use a red acrylic and it looks very good. I use airbrushes and some brushes for the interiors. Always airbrush the body. I thin the paints with auto windshield washer fluid ( the blue color ) and have not had any problem using this.

Hope this helps some and show us something later when you try them.