Model Cars Magazine Forum

My new paintbooth, I took a different route

I had a sort of a good working paintbooth, downdraft and in a cubicle, but I had the feeling it also grabbed too much dust from the workarea and since paintwork is the pinnacle of my modelling, it kept agitating me.
So I have been thinking this problem over and over and came up with this solution:

I started by making the frames for the cabin

And added wheels on the bottom

I also made the floor moveable, by adding wheels

This is partly what's left of the old paintbooth, I had a cubicle on top of it, but the front end was open.

The second frame was made and finished with gypsum walls

Here's where you can see my idea, I made the paintbooth collapsible, taking as little space as needed when not in use. But big enough to be comfy when using the paintbrush

A test set-up

This will be the backdraft box, I deconstructed the kitchen destractor and used nothing but the motors and the wiring.

These are the old motors, before refurbishing

Final set up for the extractor, the wiring is behind the right side panel and is removable. On top will be the extractor switch panel, but I also hooked the lights to the panel, just to be tidy

I am not happy with the filter, but it is coming along

Getting there

I used brushes where the both halves overlapse, less chance of dust.

And here we go; my new paintbooth! This is the in use position

And this is the not in use position.

Now that's a Paint Booth!  Nice work, I love it. Always good to see what someone will do to become better and better at this hobby of ours. I'm still in the spray can stage of painting but I think I see an airbrush in my future. Thanks for sharing this with us.           Jeff 

What a fantastic idea and well executed design! I have yet to move beyond spray cans and a make shift plywood spray booth in the unheated garage. I have vowed to buy a spray booth (Tower Hobbies has the Paasche  on sale) but a lack of a job right now is curtailing my hobby spending. While I would love to have a set up like yours, I doubt that will happen unless that lottery ticket I bought yesterday gets me the $800 million dollars ( or a nice share of it)!

That is a great paint booth! 

I have one question though; have you used it yet? Does it flow well? The reason I'm asking is that I have a booth of my own, and also dust control issues - and I have yet to find the perfect way to deal with the problems. A paint booth is something one get in order to control paint overspray and nasty fumes, and and to get the fumes out one has a fan to pull them to the outside. Now, as air is being removed from the inside, new air must be allowed to enter. Otherwise a partial vacuum will develop and no significant amount of air will actually pass through the booth, making it less effective at collecting and removing the fumes. Are your fans able to pull enough air through the brushes to make it worthwhile? If it is, then I might try to implement some of your ideas into my own setup. Please let me know.:) My hobby room is in my basement, and I found by running my fan I actually pull air in from the outside through the clothes dryer vent in the laundry room next to mine. It is so bad that after painting for a while I will see particles and textile fibers float past my shoulders as I work. I need to find a better solution.

@lysleder,  are you using any sort of filtration on the intake side?  Intake should have more filter than the exhaust side, possibly one of the "Allergy" type furnace filters which are a little more expensive than the regular furnace filters.  You could use a regular furnace filter ahead of the allergy to prefilter your incoming air supply.  (Might keep cost down on the allergy furnace filter replacement.)

@lysleder,  are you using any sort of filtration on the intake side? 

I didn't intend to hijack the thread. If this turns into a long conversation I might start one of my own to discuss things, but anyhow;      My booth at the moment does not have a pre filter on it. It is nothing but an open box with a furnace filter which purpose is to keep paint from building up on the blades of the squirrel cage fan attached to the back. I am wary about having a real filter filter as I in previous exploits have found them to be very restrictive to the volume of air moved. I have been toying with the idea of installing a screen door in the (door)opening into my room, and use fine mosquito mesh or bridal veil material to stop the offending mess from entering my room altogether. I am not too concerned about the micro particles. It is the 5mm and larger textile fibers that does the most harm in wet paint. 

Sorry Erik

I was thinking of converting a small benchtop bead blast cabinet that I have laying around into a closed spray booth with a filtered intake. I think it would work really well, if I could find some soft pliable gloves to fit the cabinet. Or just make latex grommets to put in the glove openings that would seal around your forearms when in use. Just a thought. Ken