Model Cars Magazine Forum

David Bowie is dead at 69

afx

"David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family's privacy during their time of grief," said a statement posted on his official social media accounts.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/11/entertainment/david-bowie-death/index.html

Edited by afx

Gettin' old, man.......Another great musician headed for that all star jam session in Heaven. I was lucky to see David Bowie in concert three times, twice in '74 (July and November) for the "Diamond Dogs" tour and in March '77 when he played with Iggy Pop at the Palladium during the "Idiot World Tour". 

The single greatest rock star of all time as far as I'm concerned. And by "rock star" I mean the whole package- the music, the live show, the attitude, the presence, the persona... and Mr. Bowie shape-shifted through quite a number of personas during the course of his career. Nobody did it better. Alice Cooper comes close, Marilyn Manson comes close, but nobody ever personified the idea of a "rock star" to me as much as David Bowie. 

Yes, 69 is way way WAY too young...

I was a HUGE fan of his through the Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, and Diamond Dogs eras. We sort of went different ways after about 1975, and I can think of only a handful of his songs after that that I really like.

His importance/influence/stature in music? If anyone ever does a Mount Rushmore of rock/pop music, the faces on it should be Elvis, The Beatles, Stevie Wonder, Springsteen, and Bowie. (And that's from a guy whose two personal favorites are Warren Zevon and Tom Petty.)

Edited by Snake45

Actually I'd have to add a few different faces on my "Mt. Rushmore of Rock," but even though I was never a fan, I admit that David Bowie was a huge figure in pop/rock music–as much an icon as the artists you mentioned. Sad to see a man check out at the relatively young age of 69, but seeing as how he was battling cancer... maybe this sounds weird, but I think maybe he's in a better place now. B)

The single greatest rock star of all time as far as I'm concerned. And by "rock star" I mean the whole package- the music, the live show, the attitude, the presence, the persona... and Mr. Bowie shape-shifted through quite a number of personas during the course of his career. Nobody did it better. Alice Cooper comes close, Marilyn Manson comes close, but nobody ever personified the idea of a "rock star" to me as much as David Bowie. 

Yes, 69 is way way WAY too young...

Well said Chuck, he was a legend, loved his music!

Very sad. Bowie and Lemmy within a month. Two total originals. RIP

Make that 3 Jeff, we lost Stevie Wright from the 'Easybeats' back in December, he was probably Australia's first international rock star....:(

Well said Chuck, he was a legend, loved his music!

Make that 3 Jeff, we lost Stevie Wright from the 'Easybeats' back in December, he was probably Australia's first international rock star....:(

Stevie Wright has gone as well !, I did not know that Ray sad news, I loved the Easybeats and Little Stevie always seemed to bound over the place with energy, I know he was very sick in later years.

The loss of Bowie is a massive shock to me, his early 70s albums shaped my teenage years, a particular favourite of mine is Queen Bitch of the Aladdin Sane album love that song.....

RIP Mr Jones, Mr Wright & Mr Kilmister

The sad reality is that all of the stars and icons from the 60s and 70s are in their 60s and 70s now. And with the lifestyles these guys had led, they're all going to be leaving us.

Clapton, McCartney, Ozzy, Page, Plant, Daltry, Townsend, etc.

Heck, even my beloved 80s new wave, industrial, and metal bands are all in their 50s and 60s now.