Model Cars Magazine Forum

Goodyear Blue Line Tires on a Barracuda Formula S Updated Pictures 1/23/16

I am going to be starting on my Motor City Resin Caster's 1966 Barracuda in the next few weeks as I am going to be wrapping  up my 68 Roadrunner kit.  The Barracuda Formula S came standard with Goodyear Blue Streak tires and I was wondering about recommendations on replicating them.  I looked at Indycals Blue streak racing decals as an option and the kit comes complete with tires but they are blackwalls.   The new AMT slicks are perfect looking except they are too big and they are slicks!  Anyhow any input would be appreciated.     Here is a sight with the info.  http://www.teamstarfish.com/formulaS.html

Edited by drodg

Well to answer my own question I just found Tim Boyd's write up and review of that kit and those tires that come with the kit are exactly what I am looking for.  Thanks Ron for the tip and thanks Tim for the interesting write up on the Piranha Spy Car.   

• 2 weeks later...

After Ron Hamilton's recommendation I purchased the Piranha Super Spy Car  for the Goodyear Blue Streak Tires and they fit perfectly thanks.  Here is a picture of a wheel from the Motor City Resin 66 Barracuda Formula S kit with the tires.    

66 Cuda wheel.jpg

Edited by drodg

I know I bought the Piranha kit and had a Hobby Lobby 40% discount coupon so that did help ease the price.  I really wasn't interested in the kit but really wanted the tires.  I would hope that AMT would do more releases of their special striped tires in a separate set. 

After Ron Hamilton's recommendation I purchased the Piranha Super Spy Car  for the Goodyear Blue Streak Tires and they fit perfectly thanks.  Here is a picture of a wheel from the Motor City Resin 66 Barracuda Formula S kit with the tires.    

66 Cuda wheel.jpg

I'm glad I could help. Those wheels on those tires look great!!!! You should do those wheel covers in flat argent, with chrome lug nuts and a black wash. You are going to make me whip out my '65 Restoration project.

I'm glad I could help. Those wheels on those tires look great!!!! You should do those wheel covers in flat argent, with chrome lug nuts and a black wash. You are going to make me whip out my '65 Restoration project.

Thanks Ron.  I haven't started on the kit yet but I will be within the next few weeks.  I haven't seen one posted here for a build (Motor City Resin)  so I will post my pictures as I go along.  I normally don't post many pictures as I build my kits but I think with the 66 Barracuda I will.  Thanks again.  

Thanks Ron.  I haven't started on the kit yet but I will be within the next few weeks.  I haven't seen one posted here for a build (Motor City Resin)  so I will post my pictures as I go along.  I normally don't post many pictures as I build my kits but I think with the 66 Barracuda I will.  Thanks again.  

Good luck on your build.

So , I am not the Lone ranger or Retentive , which I freely admit to be , builders out there . So all I have to is to buy 30 + Piranha Kits for the Blue Line Tires . I'll have the 30 sets of the mix of Red , Blue , Gold Line WIde Ovals for my 30  + Plastic & Resin Muscle Car Kits I've been buying and sitting on for decades ?  Uhhh .. not !From '64 - "73 F x 70 x 14" (some 15") was the Standard OEM Muscle car Tire .  I also have '32 & '34 Fords , 5 Pre War Willies (including the exclusive US Navy Pick Up) sitting for the same reason . If you don't know about this Willies , you do not know pre - or contemporary WW II Cars . This era is a Dark Room as far as information . For me , my Genera  , I am so into these . So many more Cars in my Archives for the same reason BTW . Where can I go to request these from Round 2 ? It seems the aftermarket is allergic to these OEM Muscle Car Tires .. I build Factory Stock . The 14" as well as the 15 " are just not Cast / Injected / Sold . The Modelhause are NOT Fx70 x 14" nor wide Ovals . They look ridiculous on Builds sitting side by side in the Display Cases with the FATTIES .. I write the request for F x 70 x 14" Ovals here at least 6 times A YEAR . Just one other like me so far . Anyone else ?? Thanx ..

So , I am not the Lone ranger or Retentive , which I freely admit to be , builders out there . So all I have to is to buy 30 + Piranha Kits for the Blue Line Tires . I'll have the 30 sets of the mix of Red , Blue , Gold Line WIde Ovals for my 30  + Plastic & Resin Muscle Car Kits I've been buying and sitting on for decades ?  Uhhh .. not !From '64 - "73 F x 70 x 14" (some 15") was the Standard OEM Muscle car Tire .  I also have '32 & '34 Fords , 5 Pre War Willies (including the exclusive US Navy Pick Up) sitting for the same reason . If you don't know about this Willies , you do not know pre - or contemporary WW II Cars . This era is a Dark Room as far as information . For me , my Genera  , I am so into these . So many more Cars in my Archives for the same reason BTW . Where can I go to request these from Round 2 ? It seems the aftermarket is allergic to these OEM Muscle Car Tires .. I build Factory Stock . The 14" as well as the 15 " are just not Cast / Injected / Sold . The Modelhause are NOT Fx70 x 14" nor wide Ovals . They look ridiculous on Builds sitting side by side in the Display Cases with the FATTIES .. I write the request for F x 70 x 14" Ovals here at least 6 times A YEAR . Just one other like me so far . Anyone else ?? Thanx ..

I'm in complete agreement with you John concerning the tire issues. I have been fortunate That I have been building models for a long time, and I have a good stash of tires that are appropriate for the builds I want to do. When Satco was in business, I bought several sets of their Firestone Deluxe Champions, which replaced several kit tires. Now they are either too expensive, or just cannot be found. I like some of the offerings from AMT in their tire packs, as a matter of fact, I would love to get my hands on several sets of their small white stripe tires for a couple of compact car models I am restoring, and do not have enough tires for.  In a lot of cases, The Modelhaus has come to the rescue, but we are running out of time with them, and it is hard to make a legitimate business case for my needs with a resin caster if I am buying a small number of tires. I have found that Fireball Modelworks has a nice line of tires, which he has done from 3D drawings, but most are in 1/24 scale where my needs are 1/25 scale. I also looked at several kits from the '90's that had some very nice tires which fit my purposes, such as the Revell '64 and '65 Chevy Kit Goodyear Power Cushions, and I have adapted a set of Lindberg Good Year Power Cushions from the '61 Impala SS for my '64 Plymouth project. When I go to shows and to club meetings, If a vendor has a bag of used tires at what I deem a reasonable price, I buy them up, and give them a good cleaning. I bag them up in marked sets of 4, and I am not concerned about the stripes on them, as I am able to add whatever stripe I need to them. On my '63 Thunderbird, I adapted a set of what I call rim eaters, Revell U. S. Royal Masters from the early 1960's, mounted on a set of Modelhaus  American 5-spokes, which seem to be impervious to being eaten by the tire so far (over 10 years on the build).

I am a little miffed that some of the manufactures are not able to give us branded tires with the correct profile, as well as a correct tampo stripe, or white lettering for the car in the kit, or those strange wheels which will work with a particular tire, and nothing else. I also went through the late '70's AMT and MPC kits with those strange Good Year race car tires, which were never on a real car from the factory.

Speaking of the Piranha, I plan to do mine up as the Man from U.N.C.L.E. car, which I believe had red Lines on it, so the Blue Streaks are a bonus for either a '65, or '66 Barracuda Restoration project, which may come sooner than later, since I have a Mobieus  '65 Satellite under construction, as well as a Jo Han '65 Fury Convertible. Can we say Formula S?

I am one who believe that the tire/wheel combination makes the car, and one of the things which aggravate me to no end is the wrong tire on a model. I have seen several potentially stunning builds with the wrong tires on them. It's sort of like wearing "Chuck Taylors" with a suit. You can do it, but it looks plain silly in my opinion.

I'm in complete agreement with you John concerning the tire issues. I have been fortunate That I have been building models for a long time, and I have a good stash of tires that are appropriate for the builds I want to do. When Satco was in business, I bought several sets of their Firestone Deluxe Champions, which replaced several kit tires. Now they are either too expensive, or just cannot be found. I like some of the offerings from AMT in their tire packs, as a matter of fact, I would love to get my hands on several sets of their small white stripe tires for a couple of compact car models I am restoring, and do not have enough tires for.  In a lot of cases, The Modelhaus has come to the rescue, but we are running out of time with them, and it is hard to make a legitimate business case for my needs with a resin caster if I am buying a small number of tires. I have found that Fireball Modelworks has a nice line of tires, which he has done from 3D drawings, but most are in 1/24 scale where my needs are 1/25 scale. I also looked at several kits from the '90's that had some very nice tires which fit my purposes, such as the Revell '64 and '65 Chevy Kit Goodyear Power Cushions, and I have adapted a set of Lindberg Good Year Power Cushions from the '61 Impala SS for my '64 Plymouth project. When I go to shows and to club meetings, If a vendor has a bag of used tires at what I deem a reasonable price, I buy them up, and give them a good cleaning. I bag them up in marked sets of 4, and I am not concerned about the stripes on them, as I am able to add whatever stripe I need to them. On my '63 Thunderbird, I adapted a set of what I call rim eaters, Revell U. S. Royal Masters from the early 1960's, mounted on a set of Modelhaus  American 5-spokes, which seem to be impervious to being eaten by the tire so far (over 10 years on the build).

I am a little miffed that some of the manufactures are not able to give us branded tires with the correct profile, as well as a correct tampo stripe, or white lettering for the car in the kit, or those strange wheels which will work with a particular tire, and nothing else. I also went through the late '70's AMT and MPC kits with those strange Good Year race car tires, which were never on a real car from the factory.

Speaking of the Piranha, I plan to do mine up as the Man from U.N.C.L.E. car, which I believe had red Lines on it, so the Blue Streaks are a bonus for either a '65, or '66 Barracuda Restoration project, which may come sooner than later, since I have a Mobieus  '65 Satellite under construction, as well as a Jo Han '65 Fury Convertible. Can we say Formula S?

I am one who believe that the tire/wheel combination makes the car, and one of the things which aggravate me to no end is the wrong tire on a model. I have seen several potentially stunning builds with the wrong tires on them. It's sort of like wearing "Chuck Taylors" with a suit. You can do it, but it looks plain silly in my opinion.

Yes , all '67 MoPars had Blue Line Wide Ocvals . So you kn ow I won't build any '67 MoPars ..lol .. I just don't have the dough ray me to buy Potentially 30+ Piranha kits . I am a disabled shut in . For me the color of Sidewalls Stripes aren't too much of a Problem .. except for the Wide Oval Look ..  So  I have a stash I DRYTHERb to see on my shelf . I have a '65 Vette , John Hier conversion parts , John Hier Lacquer wit Gold Line (thank you Modelahus) that are w a a y too WIDE . This most difficult build . Made from limited sourced parts ect. , is not a choice finished build . I am sorely disappointed every time I see it in my Corvette String . Good thing it sits sideways in a Carney Display Case to soften the FAT Tires ... I do appreciate the Gold Line Modelhaus . Just , slightly liking them better than wrong  Red Lines  of proper Fx70x14 , which I cannot get anyway . Just like Elections , pic the lesser of two evils .. Thanx ..

Last year for Blue line tire on a Mopar was 1966 , Actually ,,,I Think the blue stripes were  only avail 1965 and 1966 model years( MAYBE avail on 1964 Barracudas ,,but I'm not familair with those)

1967 thru 1969 were a red line or white lines ,,  in 1967 it was a  7.75 - 14

1968 + 1969 it was F70-14 or F70-15 depending on equipment ( there was a G70-15 Goodyear redline avail ,,,but on the A12 cars only )

then  raised white letter  become avail as an option in 1970 with the white walls as standard on most

and I think anything prior to 65 ,,was a white stripe tire.

Last year for Blue line tire on a Mopar was 1966 , Actually ,,,I Think the blue stripes were  only avail 1965 and 1966 model years( MAYBE avail on 1964 Barracudas ,,but I'm not familair with those)

1968 + 1969 it was F70-14 or F70-15 depending on equipment ( there was a G70-15 Goodyear redline avail ,,,but on the A12 cars only )

then  raised white letter  become avail as an option in 1970 with the white walls as standard on most

I believe that you are right.

You are correct.  The blue lines tires were last used in 66 by Chrysler and in 67 they went to redlines.