Model Cars Magazine Forum

Full Review - Round 2's reissue of the AMT Dodge Deora Kit.

tim boyd

http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/whats-new-amt-deora/whats-new-amt-deora/

Click on the above link for 32 images and captions exploring this new Round 2 reissue, including those killer new pad-printed Firestone Wide Oval tires, compared with the original AMT 1967 kit issue.  Make sure to use the "roll" feature to read the captions that go with each image.

DSC 0478

Thanks for looking...best Regards...TIM   

(P.S. - technically this is a truck kit, but do to the design and execution, I think of the Deora as a car, and I think many of you do as well.  So I posted it here instead of the truck kits review section....TB)   

Edited by tim boyd

Thanks once again for the excellent first view of this re-issue. I think this takes the whole Round2 AMT re-issue phenomenon "up-a-notch" at every level. Not only have they restored long-missing parts that gave the original kit its essential character, but they have extended the "re-issue experience" by augmenting it with support material that provides a sense of context and history for potential buyers who weren't around for the original. The addition of the deleted customizing parts, too, will help take this kit beyond the admittedly stunning, Box Art recreation it could have been. Bravo Round2! If you have yet to give us a true new release, at least you have taken the re-issue genre to an impressive new level.

The tires, of course, are exceptional. Hopefully they will find their way to a Parts Pack so I can build some mid-late 60's show rods!

Another great review Tim. This is one of those cases where I'm glad to have the new kit, over than the original. I'm glad you compare this release to the original. Showing how much better Round 2 has done in restoring and enhancing this kit. I like both the new tires and wheels much better than what came in the original kit. Especially the tires, of course. I never knew exactly how the woodgrain pieces worked in the original kit. I always assumed they came pre-cut to right size a shape. Now seeing that they didn't and remembering their thickness, I'm glad Round 2 chose to go with decals instead. The booklets with some of these reissues have is always a great treat. I'm glad they've been keeping this idea going.

There is only one very minor change I don't like to the reissue over the original, that they made. And this is so minor, and I have no plans on using it, so it almost not worth mentioning. On the new decal sheet their are two decals that now read: Alexander Bros. built tough trucks. On the original it said: Dodge builds tough trucks. Again, not a big deal. I prefer the ones that say Dodge. But either way, I probably would use those decals any how.

People love to complain how expensive these new reissues are. When I look at inflation since the original kit came out. Plus the extra stuff they keep on giving us in these kits. I'm not complaining one bit. I feel I'm getting my monies worth.

There is only one very minor change I don't like to the reissue over the original, that they made. And this is so minor, and I have no plans on using it, so it almost not worth mentioning. On the new decal sheet their are two decals that now read: Alexander Bros. built tough trucks. On the original it said: Dodge builds tough trucks. Again, not a big deal. I prefer the ones that say Dodge. But either way, I probably would use those decals any how.

Not just there - the box art has had ALL references to Dodge removed. Licensing issues, of course, but I wonder who holds the trademark to the design itself?

Not just there - the box art has had ALL references to Dodge removed. Licensing issues, of course, but I wonder who holds the trademark to the design itself?

I would think there would be something about licensing in the footnotes of the box art or on the instructions...strange.  

Wow! Your right. Read the bit on the new box about the Alexander bros. building the truck. No mention of a Dodge A-100 there. Just a 1965 Compact Pickup. Interesting. If I was Chrysler I would have let them keep the Dodge references. After all it's a cool truck. And a cool part of Dodge's history.

I wonder now...did any of the versions of the kit mention that it was Dodge based?   The MPC version from the 80s didn't.

Edit: I found at least one...an AMT issue from the '90s (gold vehicle on the box, red border on the box) calls it out as 'DODGE DEORA SHOW CAR'...

Edited by Rob Hall

Great review Tim,

I always thought the open chrome reverse wheels were one of the original AMT Deora's best features - Was hoping replacements would be in the new reissue - but not too disappointed about it with all of the other things that have been brought back.  The small diameter of the old AMT compact tires really makes the Deora sit perfect- but I know an alternative that I like.

I've built two - and will get another.  The first was an original issue back when it was the new Deora kit, Testors Gold with clear top - somewhere in time it was lost - still have some of the parts.  The second was a close duplicate with automotive paint - I painted the original clear cover because it was too rough and scratched up to leave clear - 4 slot mags from the kit with Monogram low profile sports car tires.  That one was among the models at the 50th Detroit Autorama in 2002 - the show where you did the photographs in your review - the Alexander Brothers were being honored that year - It probably still has the grease on it that filled the air from the pretzel vendor that was just feet away from the model contest

Edited by Muncie

Great review Tim,

I always thought the open chrome reverse wheels were one of the original AMT Deora's best features - Was hoping replacements would be in the new reissue - but not too disappointed about it with all of the other things that have been brought back.  The small diameter of the old AMT compact tires really makes the Deora sit perfect- but I know an alternative that I like.

I've built two - and will get another.  The first was an original issue back when it was the new Deora kit, Testors Gold with clear top - somewhere in time it was lost - still have some of the parts.  The second was a close duplicate with automotive paint - I painted the original clear cover because it was too rough and scratched up to leave clear - 4 slot mags from the kit with Monogram low profile sports car tires.  That one was among the models at the 50th Detroit Autorama in 2002 - the show where you did the photographs in your review - the Alexander Brothers were being honored that year - It probably still has the grease on it that filled the air from the pretzel vendor that was just feet away from the model contest

Steve....your comment about the pretzel vendor grease sure made me smile.  As a entrant/participant of countless MPC Customizing Contest from 1969-69, I can sure identify with your comments there. 

I too have built two of these in the past.  The first was when the kit first came out...it was for my brother Jon....Testors Candy Blue over Silver...and like many of my AMT Trophy Series builds back then (some fit and finish issues, combined with my age 12-13 capabilities), it came out about 90% correct.  The remnants of that effort are around here somewhere.  The second was under contract for AMT in the mid 1970's, when I built the "Vantasy" version (not the box art model, which was an AMT art department quickie IIRC), but the fully built out display model they used in their annual sales conference with AMT Sales Reps and Execs.  I've also built the engine two more times, once as the power for my '41 Plymouth convertible street rod (see the Nov./Dec. 1979 issue of the other model car mag), and again (IIRC) for the "Straight Six" article I did for the other guys around 2005 or so.  

Needless to say, this new version is calling out for a third (and final) box stock build....

Best Regards...TIM 

I didn't mention it in the review, but I have done so previously elsewhere, so I'll keep this brief for those who have not read it earlier...

I have a real personal connection to the 1/1 scale Deora.  One day, probably around September of 1966, when I was coming home from Junior High, I saw in the distance this very strange, low and sleek silhouette sitting on a lowboy trailer behind a pickup two vehicle alongside Bob Kirkham's Shell Station at Maple and Miller Road in Ann Arbor.  Needless to say, I HAD to investigate.  

After I had eyeballed it, (although at the time I didn't know it, it was the Deora, in primer and about 80% completed, and trust me, it was absolutely stunning compared to the cars and trucks that were on the road in late 1966)...I went inside the station and asked what it was.  I don't recall much of the conversation, but the upshot was that it was a concept vehicle, on the way to California (for exactly what, I do not recall).   This was just months after the nearby M-14 freeway bypass was opened around the northwest side of Ann Arbor, and it was the exact route that a driver coming from the Alexander Brothers' shop in western Detroit, would be taking if driving to California (the Shell station was nearby the M-14 freeway interchange, and an obvious choice to fill up the gas tanks for the long drive ahead). 

I later learned the whole story when the car was revealed, as well as when I purchased several back issues of Car Model magazine, which of course ran the contest that resulted in the "Deora" nomenclature used upon final completion of the car.  Still...what were the chances that a young model car builder would actually see this car, months before its full reveal to the public?  Amazing....   TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

I built this kit back in the late '70s or early '80s when it had the camper top. It didn't turn out too well. I think I'll get another one and try again.

I'm sure I wasn't the first to notice, but I've never seen a comment about the exhaust ports on the Deora. I have read the Alexander Brothers used a 1960 Ford Station Wagon rear window for the windshield, but I noticed the exhaust ports are early Mustang taillight bezels. I'm still trying to figure out what the chopped up steering wheel came off of. Custom builders were pretty good at re-purposing existing parts back in the day.

An update.  I did some searching on the net and found the steering wheel is from an Olds. Also, AMT did such a great job on the body of this kit, I can't believe the interior of the kit is compromised from the real car. The seats are different, there is no center console, the steering wheel is wrong, they added an odd looking rear console, control panel sort of behind and between the seats. Even on the original one, which looks like it came from a Ford, it doesn't come close to duplicating. I think it was already covered somewhere else here why the lower panel hinges like a tailgate instead of pivoting in the center.

One last comment, The engine, Which can't be seen, has dual carbs on the 1:1. I'm guessing some of the better kit bashers could fix all these anomalies. 

Edited by THarrison351

I'm sure I wasn't the first to notice, but I've never seen a comment about the exhaust ports on the Deora. I have read the Alexander Brothers used a 1960 Ford Station Wagon rear window for the windshield, but I noticed the exhaust ports are early Mustang taillight bezels. I'm still trying to figure out what the chopped up steering wheel came off of. Custom builders were pretty good at re-purposing existing parts back in the day.

The chopped up steering wheel in the real truck was from a '66 Toronado. It still has the Olds Rocket on the horn button!

Tim, thanks for another great review. I've got an original and several nice early builders, but I'm getting the re-ish too. 

Building fiddles, I've seen comments somewhere, about molding in pans front/rear and fiddling chassis to go in after the fact. I cut part of the frame ends off so pans get molded in, and the frame ends can get reattached at install. Lousy description, but chassis won't fit with pans. I think I messed with cutting clearance out of one of the pans to slide chassis in too, but I don't remember details and can't find my Deora/A100 box. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the fantastic review Tim. I still have the mid-1980's reissue unbuilt in my stash, but those tires, the reference booklet and decals are worth the price of admission alone! I hope AMT/Round 2 will package those pad-printed Firestones in a Parts Pack in the near future as i can see buying several sets