Model Cars Magazine Forum

AC Cobra COX6010 '64 LeMans - 2/14 Update

afx

I seem to be a bit obsessed with Cobras at the moment.  In spite of having (3) currently under construction I am starting another.  Awhile back I built Shelby’s ’63 Le Mans entry (CSX2142) using HRM’s excellent trans-kit.

DSCN1760

Now I would like the take on the ‘64 entry.

DSCN3135

Started with a heavily painted Trophy Series kit, after stripping the body I added side vents from the Sunny 427 kit.  The hard top comes from my Dragonsnake kit that HRM is producing.   Wheels and tires are also from HRM.  Pay no attention to the stance at the rear, the body wasn't fully seated when I took the picture.

DSCN3143

This is more representative of the stance.

DSCN3145

Edited by afx

Thank you for your interest gentlemen.  Here is a link to some history on the car when it came up for auction in 2014.   And below is the SAAC's stance on the rebuilt car.

"French auction company Artcurial plans to offer COX 6010 at their LeMans sale over the July 4-6 weekend. There is some confusion, however, as they seem to consider the car an original Cobra when the details of its history indicate otherwise. 6010 was raced at Le Mans in 1964 and was later wrecked. A buyer combined it and the wrecked CSX 2142 into one car, and attached the COX 6010 ID tag to a third Cobra (which masqueraded as 6010 for almost 20 years until a subsequent owner realized the numbers didn't match up). Following the rebuild, there was nothing left of 6010 but some paperwork and spare parts. In essence, the vehicle that was 6010 ceased to exist at this point, as it was "parted out," i.e. its critical parts were separated and used in the reconstruction of another vehicle (2142) with a chassis number that was not COX 6010. A brand new vehicle was constructed a number of years later - with a renumbered chassis supplied by a source other than AC Cars, Ltd. - and this is the car being offered at the Artcurial sale. It should be noted that neither SAAC nor the AC Owner's Club considers this an original Cobra."

Interesting coincidence; parts from the '64 entry (COX6010) where used to restore the '63 entry (CSX2142) which is the white car I have pictured at the beginning of the thread.

Edited by afx

Glad there is some interest in the build, thought you guys might be experiencing Cobra overload.:D  If you followed the link you know this car was on of the few with red interior.  I have read that the red seats are quite dark, almost burgundy in color in lieu of the bright red of the "restored" car that came up for auction.  The seats are painted Tamiya "Flat Red" over gray primer with a finish coat of Tamiya "Smoke".  I am happy with how they came out.

DSCN3147

Edited by afx

Interesting Cobra. Looks like it had several lives as seen in the photos of the auction. It had no fender flares at first, then later it did. When sold in 1969, the flares were removed showing ugly scars.

It would be nice to have a source of those hardtops, rather than buying a whole kit.

Nice project!

Interesting Cobra. Looks like it had several lives as seen in the photos of the auction. It had no fender flares at first, then later it did. When sold in 1969, the flares were removed showing ugly scars.

It would be nice to have a source of those hardtops, rather than buying a whole kit.

Nice project!

Bob, contact HRM.  I would guess he would be willing to sell just the hardtop.

Thanks guys I really do appreciate your comments. Here is the finished engine. 

The intake and valve covers are white metal from a Thunder Valley GT350R kit.  Bought just the white metal parts several years back and have been waiting to use them.  Breathers are from HRM and the distributor and coil are from R&MCoMD.  Carb and air cleaner are from the Revellogram 427.  Engine block/transmission is from the Revellogram GT350.

DSCN3152