Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clearcoating Hok Colors

I would really like to try HoK, since they're available in 4 oz bottles at TCP Global. However, they do not seem to have a clearcoat in 4 oz bottles; in fact, the smallest quantity they sell would set me back about $24, which is more than I care to spend for an "experiment". So, what have you used as a clearcoat for HoK, that would be easier to find and cheaper? Thanks for your input!

Tom,

I have many years under my belt using HOK products (See Profile) Although I would not do this on 1:1, I don't see any problems with using any brand of rattle can clear. I do this all the time with no failures on panel art that I do. I have been using Duplicolor Lacquer but wouldn't hesitate to use any brand really. Let the subject flash off for a few days before you clear. If in doubt do a test panel.

I hope this helps!

Jimmy "RASS"

I'm really not familiar with HoK paints, but aren't they just automotive lacquers?

If so, I would think there should be no reason why you couldn't use anything over them that you wish.

I'm not sure but I I think they are urethane-based, and that would seem to me to be somewhat different from the acrylic lacquers and enamels...

I have many years under my belt using HOK products (See Profile) Although I would not do this on 1:1, I don't see any problems with using any brand of rattle can clear. I do this all the time with no failures on panel art that I do. I have been using Duplicolor Lacquer but wouldn't hesitate to use any brand really. Let the subject flash off for a few days before you clear. If in doubt do a test panel.

Yes Jimmy, this has been very helpful! Thank you!

Frank, My apologizes for addressing you as Tom! I'm glad I could be helpful.

Sent is one example of some of the panel work I do. (All Freehand)

I did this one last night. Cleared this am......... No Problems

IMG_0684 panel.jpg

Edited by jwrass
To Clarify

Black gold sells re-packaged HOC paints and you can order clear paint from them. I've used Testors Clear over Black Gold with no ill effects.

I checked them out, but their shipping charge for 2 2oz bottles was $16! That's just unacceptable...

One Shot Clear is a great clear! Be careful when you apply with a airbrush it's pretty slippery stuff.

I would recommend the following when spraying One Shot:

1) Make the first coat a tack coat.....Meaning: Light to medium coat with even coverage.

2) Do the knuckle test.........Meaning: Off to the side of the subject or a area that can't be seen, drag or touch your knuckle to the surface, a slight drag or sticky apply next coat

3) Apply a full wet coat......... If you plan on additional coats, repeat step 2

I purchase all my small quantities of HOK from Coast Air Brush and TCB Global. Both great people to deal with!

Jimmy "RASS"

Since I assume you are air brushing the HOK, I don't see why you couldn't use Future as your clear coat

I tried airbrushing Future once, but it was so thin and watery, I had a devil of a time trying to get the surface shiny without creating runs!

Edited by fseva

One Shot Clear is a great clear! Be careful when you apply with a airbrush it's pretty slippery stuff.

Jimmy, I checked out the HoK prices at Coast Airbrush... while the actual colors are very reasonable in small quantities, the smallest clear they list (they are currently out of stock) is a quart at $48. Will keep looking...

Edited by fseva

OK - I should be all set for my experiment. I ordered 2 2oz pre-reduced bottles of Kandy Base Coats; I read the spec sheet and found that you can use "acrylic lacquer" as your clear (which is required). I have some Duplicolor Professional Acrylic Lacquer in a spray can, and have decanted 2 oz for my experiment.

I also noticed that a 1.3-1.5 needle/nozzle is recommended for airbrushing... Will I have problems if I use my Anthem airbrush (.75)?

In regard to Black Gold, they sell clear in small quantities, but the label calls it "interclear", and I was under the impression that this was only a mid-coat for use when you're taping for a second color. Can anyone here explain? (Oh and the product number is SG10002, and the closest I could come up with at TCP was SG100, which I think was a reducer).

Edited by fseva

Frank, All inter-coat clears were designed for use as a barrier( all brands) between base coats, tape outs etc........ it could easily be used as a final clear on a model........ I use it on my art panels on a regular basis. It would not be used as a final clear on a 1:1 as it does not contain the UV protection that a multi component clear would. SG 100 is in fact a reducer. If it were me, I would just use the rattle can of clear, no need to airbrush. If your mind is set on airbrushing you could push the clear through the .75. You will however most likely have to reduce the clear further and experiment with air pressures. Good Luck Mate Jimmy "RASS"

Frank, All inter-coat clears were designed for use as a barrier( all brands) between base coats, tape outs etc........ it could easily be used as a final clear on a model........ I use it on my art panels on a regular basis. It would not be used as a final clear on a 1:1 as it does not contain the UV protection that a multi component clear would. SG 100 is in fact a reducer. If it were me, I would just use the rattle can of clear, no need to airbrush. If your mind is set on airbrushing you could push the clear through the .75. You will however most likely have to reduce the clear further and experiment with air pressures. Good Luck Mate Jimmy "RASS"

Thanks for the explanation, Jimmy! At least now I know what to buy if I decide to airbrush the HoK clear, but I'll see how the Duplicolor acrylic lacquer works first.

Edited by fseva

If your mind is set on airbrushing you could push the clear through the .75. You will however most likely have to reduce the clear further and experiment with air pressures. 

Could I reduce the clear with lacquer thinner? I would hate to have to invest in a quart of reducer...

Frank,

You stated that the Duplicolor is Acrylic Lacquer. If that is in fact the case then any Lacquer thinner can be used for reduction. You can buy Quarts at big box stores for 5 to 7 $ or gallons for 15 to 17 $. when gallons go on sale I typically by 5 gallons at a crack............. I clean all of my spray equipment with it so I use a lot of it. FYI any Lacquer Thinner you by at a big box or hardware store is a low grade thinner or what many painters call a wash thinner. On the totem pole of lacquer thinners these would be at the bottom as far as how aggressive or how hot they are. Perfectly fine for modeling, actually a better choice because the flash rate is fast.

"RASS"

You stated that the Duplicolor is Acrylic Lacquer. If that is in fact the case then any Lacquer thinner can be used for reduction.

Actually, I was asking about thinning HoK's clears... However, I just visited Coast Airbrush again and discovered that SG100 Intercoat is the same thing I referred to earlier as a "reducer", and it will be my clear if the Duplicolor fails to impress. I can also get it pre-reduced, in small quantities, and not have to pay Black Gold's outrageous shipping charge! So, I believe all of my questions have been answered. A big "Thanks!" to all of you who participated!

Edited by fseva

Frank,

My Bad........... I just went I the paint cabinet and SG 100 is in fact the intercoat clear! I said it was reducer, The last thing I want to do is give out bad information! I was thinking U 100 which is HOKs Striping & Lettering reducer.

We are indeed practically neighbors! I live on the far north side of Racine. Do you belong to any modeling clubs or know of any in the area?

"RASS" 

My Bad........... I just went I the paint cabinet and SG 100 is in fact the intercoat clear! I said it was reducer, The last thing I want to do is give out bad information! I was thinking U 100 which is HOKs Striping & Lettering reducer.

We are indeed practically neighbors! I live on the far north side of Racine. Do you belong to any modeling clubs or know of any in the area?

Jimmy, Coast Airbrush says that Intercoat Clear makes a very good reducer! So, we were both right!

I know there is a club that meets somewhere in my area, but I don't get out much and MCM is the only group I belong too. 

BTW, my order at Coast Airbrush was responded to with an email asking me to check the order and respond if any changes had to be made. This was great because I really wanted 4oz of the Intercoat Clear to try out. So, hopefully I'll find out today whether adding it to my existing order is going to be OK.

Frank,

They are a great company to work with, I know the owner Dave Moning fairly well. My Daughter lived in Manhatten Beach CA and their shop is about a half hour from where she lived. The Place is so cool......... lots of eye candy

"RASS"