Model Cars Magazine Forum

If you could afford to have a kit designed

Many really good sugestions here. Mine would probably be something like this:

-61-72 Dodge Sweptline pickups, with parts to make every single modelyear and all engine/transmission combos aswell as D100/D200 and W100/W200 all in one kit. I love kits with many parts and options.

-Tatra 603, that is just so cool

-Mercedes W114/W115 with the option to build all possible engine/transmission combos and all years and variations between 68-76

-Mercedes W123 wagon with the option to build all possible engine/transmission combos and all years and variations between 78-86

-Mercedes W123 sedan with the option to build all possible engine/transmission combos and all years and variations between 76-85

-VW baywindow bus (already sugested) both in pickup, bus and camper versions and again with options of all years and versions in one box.

All of the above sugestions would be full detail with a level of partsfit in the top level. When I say full detail I'm thinking og having steelwheels with separate lugnuts and separate hubcaps/wheelcovers. Exactly reproduced brakes, suspension and chassis details and engines with separate block, head, sump aswell as pistions, rods, cranckshaft and camshaft and such. Since all of this would be in one box and it would contain parts for many different engines/gearboxes and other versions this would be kits of extreme partscount. I would never promise a low price but if I had won so much money that I would have problems spending it I would probably accept a loss on each kit just to make them sell.

Actually, it is a 4 cyl. If you havnt built one before, heres a warning: most of the engine/ undercarriage parts fit LOUSY!!  I do have another one that I will build this year. NOT looking forward to it, but its the only kit available.;)

Well that's no good. I haven't built it yet, but I figured that because it has so many more parts than the usual Monogram/AMT/Revell kit, the detailing must be good. Will find out for myself at some point.

Perhaps I am biased, but I am one of perhaps a dozen or so modelers who were asked by Moebius to put together a fairly short list of model car subjects they might consider, and so far, every one they have done, or are on their list to be done, have come from that list--I happy!

Art

Hmmmm.............I don't know more than the next guy, but for some reason I keep seeing this in Moebius' future.............. ;)

1957 Olds 98 Convertible.jpg

There's some racing versions with the coupes, and there's sedans, hardtops, and this convertible that can be done from it. Not to mention, Oldsmobiles of this era have been a MUCH overlooked subject. If I were in charge of things, I'd certainly look into it.

I'm no prophet or fortune teller...........jus' sayin'......

Edited by MrObsessive

^^^ I hope you're right - and a hardtop Fiesta wagon would be a nice followup (it worked for Revell with the Ford, right?).

For me, I'll take a '57 Buick Century, especially if you could share some of the Olds tooling (glass is the same, at least).

Edited by ChrisBcritter

^^^ I hope you're right - and a hardtop Fiesta wagon would be a nice followup (it worked for Revell with the Ford, right?).

For me, I'll take a '57 Buick, especially if you could share some of the Olds tooling (glass is the same, at least).

I believe chassis are mostly the same too for those years, 'cept Olds was using leaf springs while Buicks used coils.

1964 Chevy Nova 2dr post sedan.

I'm surprised AMT hasn't done it yet.  

Would be easy with minimal cost since half the tooling already exists. Reuse - carry over the flooring, chassis, front / rear suspensions, engine bay, engine/ drive train, wheel backs and even the open stock steelie rims from the current stock 66 nova " grumpy" kit. Those chassis items are the same for all the 62-67 novas/ chevyIIs.  All that would have to be tooled up would be a new body shell, glass, front / rear bumpers, grille, healights, tailights, seats, dash, steering wheel, door panels, stock wheel covers.  And even then some of those parts already exist in the tooling from the "boss nova" drag wagon kit or their screw bottom old annuals from the 60's if the tooling still exists. I'm just the kind of person to use what is already there to come up with a "new" kit.

Trumpeter has already done a 63 convertible and hardtop kit.

But no one has done a post sedan and that would open up all kinds possibilities for 4dr conversions and wagon conversions. And carrying over the chassis from the already existing 66 nova kit makes for great interchangeability between the two and or as a "parts" kit to convert a prostreet 66 back to stock and vice versa. The "new" 64 2dr sedan could also be offered as a prostreet kit as well using the chassis and related parts from the 66 prostreet kit. 

Like I said, I'm surprised this hasn't been done already. would be easy to do and would generate sales if offered as two seperate kits like the 66 was..I need a job at AMT. I could think up stuff like this all the time using what they already have..

Would be easy with minimal cost since half the tooling already exists. Reuse - carry over the flooring, chassis, front / rear suspensions, engine bay, engine/ drive train, wheel backs and even the open stock steelie rims from the current stock 66 nova " grumpy" kit. Those chassis items are the same for all the 62-67 novas/ chevyIIs.  All that would have to be tooled up would be a new body shell, glass, front / rear bumpers, grille, healights, tailights, seats, dash, steering wheel, door panels, stock wheel covers.  And even then some of those parts already exist in the tooling from the "boss nova" drag wagon kit or their screw bottom old annuals from the 60's if the tooling still exists. I'm just the kind of person to use what is already there to come up with a "new" kit.

But no one has done a post sedan and that would open up all kinds possibilities for 4dr conversions and wagon conversions. And carrying over the chassis from the already existing 66 nova kit makes for great interchangeability between the two and or as a "parts" kit to convert a prostreet 66 back to stock and vice versa. The "new" 64 2dr sedan could also be offered as a prostreet kit as well using the chassis and related parts from the 66 prostreet kit. 

Like I said, I'm surprised this hasn't been done already. would be easy to do and would generate sales if offered as two seperate kits like the 66 was..I need a job at AMT. I could think up stuff like this all the time using what they already have..

That would be a great kit and I'd buy lots of them for sure. And I believe that it would be a decent seller in the hobby shops too. Those Trumpeter kits aren't that easy to find anymore either that a new kit of one would be great, especially if it was a Sedan. I'd prefer '62 though as I have one of them in 1:1 scale, but of course they're really close to each other.

In all honesty, for what you are proposing, it would cost pretty much the same to start all over with all-new tooling, frankly.

Art

That would be a great kit and I'd buy lots of them for sure. And I believe that it would be a decent seller in the hobby shops too. Those Trumpeter kits aren't that easy to find anymore either that a new kit of one would be great, especially if it was a Sedan. I'd prefer '62 though as I have one of them in 1:1 scale, but of course they're really close to each other.

I would love to see a new 1962 Nova, I own a real 62 convertible.