Model Cars Magazine Forum

If you could afford to have a kit designed

1967 Dart GT+S : Both transmissions ( 4-speed and Torqueflite ) , and period-correct performance parts ( headers , intake , tyres , wheels , etc. ) .

1970 Swinger 340 : All three transmission choices (standard 3-speed , optional 4-speed , optional Torqueflite) ; Six Pack or single 4 Bbl options ; four wheel choices ( steelies with hubcaps or deluxe wheel covers , Rallye wheels , period correct "mags" such as Motor Wheels Spyders ) .

1970-1972 El Camino / 1971-1972 GMC Sprint : In theory one kit could contain all years' parts . Engine choices would be either the 350 (with induction options) or the Mark IV (including GMC-exclusive "Invader" air cleaner decal). 4-speed or TH-400 ; optional console / floor shift ; flat hood and cowl hood , in addition to an L-88 hood . Period-correct add-ons (wheels , tyres , etc.) .

1970 Ranchero GT : The "385-Series" tooling already exists in the Revell Torino GT ; add both Windsor and "335-Series" (Cleveland) options . 4-speed , C6 , and FMX options ; and of course a full compliment of era-specific add-ons .

1974 Camaro Type LT : Stock small block and transmission options , and the option to build the last Nickey car !

Renault R5 Turbo : Street-stock format :D

In all honesty, for what you are proposing, it would cost pretty much the same to start all over with all-new tooling, frankly.

Art

Out of curiosity...How is that?   All they gotta do is use the existing chassis parts tree from the 66 Nova and just tool a new body to fit it. the 62-65 nova is the same as a 66-67 except for the body skin. Its been done before..Example: the AMT 1970 Dodge coronet superbee kit.. the body and interior tub, I believe - but correct me if I'm wrong, is originally an old MPC tool that AMT obtained. the chassis and engine and even the glass originates from the AMT 68- 69 Plymouth Road runner / GTX kits...Another example: The Revell 66 Chevelle wagon kit uses the same chassis tooling from their earlier released 65 Chevelle kit. Some of the 65 specific parts , like the trunk tail pan, are on that chassis parts tree in the 66 wagon kit. 

Why make a new tool of what is already made and still in use that can be easily carried over to a new kit? I would think that engineering a new tool would cost way more.  So a whole new kit tooling costs the same as a single new tool body made to fit existing chassis tooling?

I admit I'm not knowledgeable in the costs involved in bringing a new kit to market. but it would help if you could enlighten us that are less informed. Maybe a side by side cost comparison spreadsheet?

Edited by Rotorbolt73

Out of curiosity...How is that?   All they gotta do is use the existing chassis parts tree from the 66 Nova and just tool a new body to fit it. the 62-65 nova is the same as a 66-67 except for the body skin. Its been done before..Example: the AMT 1970 Dodge coronet superbee kit.. the body and interior tub, I believe - but correct me if I'm wrong, is originally an old MPC tool that AMT obtained. the chassis and engine and even the glass originates from the AMT 68- 69 Plymouth Road runner / GTX kits...

Why make a new tool of what is already made and still in use that can be easily carried over to a new kit? I would think that engineering a new tool would cost way more.  So a whole new kit tooling costs the same as a single new tool body made to fit existing chassis tooling?

I admit I'm not knowledgeable in the costs involved in bringing a new kit to market. but it would help if you could enlighten us that are less informed. Maybe a side by side cost comparison spreadsheet?

All I know is,  depending on how the tooling is laid out, and depending on what all additional parts need to be tooled, given the nature of model kit tooling in the era when this particular kit was tooled,  it can be difficult to almost impossible to just go in, add new parts to a hardened steel injection-molding tool.

Art

All I know is,  depending on how the tooling is laid out, and depending on what all additional parts need to be tooled, given the nature of model kit tooling in the era when this particular kit was tooled,  it can be difficult to almost impossible to just go in, add new parts to a hardened steel injection-molding tool.

Art

True.. but explain how parts are deleted  or added to a parts tree tool over the course of years/ decades of various reissues of kits. I've compaired trees of various releases of kits and it appears that parts can be switched out and moved around on the trees. i've seen this with a few AMT kits . especially the chrome parts tree...compairing an original 60s release to one made in the 80s to one made now. Things like rims and speed parts are changed and swapped around...doesn't seem like its a big deal to change a tool. Like the whole parts tree tool is a combination of smaller tools that fit together..

Edited by Rotorbolt73

Matt,  many AMT and MPC kits had "inserts" in them. these small, separate mold parts made parts switching possible. If you thought that parts like rims or axles looked the same, it is probably because the exact same insert was used for both kits. It has long been rumored that Jo Han tools are useless due to the theft of many inserts.

You know...in thinking about it, I'd just like to find all the old ESCI tooling and reissue those kits. Ford Transit, Mercedes G-Wagen, BMW M1, etc.

That and a Vector W2. ALthough I believe that is being worked on.

The Transit will be here soon. Italeri has stated that they are going to issue it this year :)

The Transit will be here soon. Italeri has stated that they are going to issue it this year :)

Seriously?! I am truly excited about that. I built the red version back in the 80s. Found the original Ford promo kit at a car boot sale while in England. It rolled off the shelf one time too many and eventually got tossed. Then when I got back in the hobby, I started missing all of the old kits that I tossed. Found out that one is particularly rare. A couple of years ago, I found the white Canon version. Mint, and not ridiculously expensive. Been trying to get more, but those on EBay are asking in excess of $200 for them. Which I feel is insane.

Can't wait to find the reissue!

Seriously?! I am truly excited about that. I built the red version back in the 80s. Found the original Ford promo kit at a car boot sale while in England. It rolled off the shelf one time too many and eventually got tossed. Then when I got back in the hobby, I started missing all of the old kits that I tossed. Found out that one is particularly rare. A couple of years ago, I found the white Canon version. Mint, and not ridiculously expensive. Been trying to get more, but those on EBay are asking in excess of $200 for them. Which I feel is insane.

Can't wait to find the reissue!

Yes, see here:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/110128-italeri-2016/

Does not say when but hopefully sometime during this year it will be in the shops again. I will buy several of them. I have one (the red version in the black box with only Ford logos on it) and I have wanted to build it many times but always kept myself from doing that simply because I know that if I mess it up I will not be able to find another one for decent money.