Model Cars Magazine Forum

B.R.B.O. Kenworth W900L...7/17 update...with color!

This will be my attempt at an entry for the BRBO, a Kenworth W900L. I'll use the cab from the T600 which will have to be reworked some of course, and I picked up a W900L hood conversion from KJ at Double Take Replicas. I have the "what" now I have to decide the "how". I'm not sure if I want to make it a long & low west coast truck, a standard sleeper or a big sleeper, or even the possibility of a wrecker body. Time will tell but I guess it's good to have choices! :lol:

20160113_132411.jpg

Edited by Mike77

Thanks for the support guys, I very much appreciate it. I haven't worked a lot with resin but I know getting a resin hood to mate up with a kit cab takes a lot of tweaking. I don't know nearly as much as most of you guys about trucks but I've seen so many W900L's on the road that I thought it'd be a neat project to take on. At first I was worried about trying to stretch one truck into a 10-month build but I don't think it'll be a problem with this one! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after 2-1/2 weeks since I started this thread, which I had to dig out from page 3, I finally have the first update! :lol:  I haven't made a ton of progress, but then again there are still nine months to go. I've decided on a style...long & low. Some people like that, some don't, but I've never done a stretch so I thought it'd be cool to give it a go. I've taken the T600 cab and did that side window drop thing for better visibility. I've seen 900Ls with and without them and I think it looks sharp. I noticed the 900L has squared door handles rather than these with triangular tops...I may or may not change that depending on my mood. I also widened the little lower window on the passenger's door and added the tab to the left side where the air cleaned elbow will go since the T600 only had one on the right side.

As for the sleeper style, I see a lot of them have the hi-rise KW studio sleeper but that somewhat cancels out the "low" part of long & low. So, I might stick with a flat top double sleeper if I can find a KW version. If not, I'll go with a 63" Peterbilt sleeper which seems to be easier to find. Which sleeper I use will also determine whether I convert the T600 roof to an Aero roof and blend it into the sleeper top.

I had finally found some resin single hump fenders that I could easily make into double humps, but then I found these 3D fenders that I really like so they'll go on this build. I had mentioned in another thread that I have some parts on the way (thanks JT!) so I'll be working on getting the frame stretched pretty soon.

20160130_133136.jpg

20160130_133145.jpg

20160130_133217.jpg

Edited by Mike77

Had the day off work and it's actually looking like a project now. Everything's just set in place...as you can tell by the fenders resting atop the tires. There'll be a sleeper in there too, preferably a KW flat top double if I can find one.

20160204_170836.jpg

Edited by Mike77