Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ok work has been a real bi...er bear, but I have gotten some build time in. Typical DML fare just have to plan ahead because of the fender skirts.

Here are some quickie photos. 

I used Vallejo Model Color 916 Sand Yellow for the base coat. I added a drop of Dark Sand and a dab of white as well. It airbrushed just fine thinned with MM Acrylic Thinner and a drop of Vallejo retarder. The green is Lifecolor Olive Green and the border is Vallejo Off White.

Next time I will AB Vallejo using a larger .5mm tip. It sprays well but needs to be slightly thicker than Tamiya or MM Acryl.

G

Bruce I first sprayed the tank Vallejo "Sand Yellow" overall. After allowing a day or so for that to cure properly I used a wide soft brush to paint the green pattern based on photos of the real tank. That took three light coats of Lifecolour "Oive Green" to fully cover the yellow. I went back with some Vallejo "Off White" and, with a nice pointy brush, hand painted the white line. 

I tacked the sand shield's side panels on so the pattern flows onto them, then removed the panels to facilitate adding the tracks later.

Due to construction of the front fenders I painted the lower half of the tank and the drive sprockets first. Then I put the drive sprockets on taking care they rotated, then added the PE fenders around them. 

Tedious but worth it. 

G

A bit more in the weathering department.

I use these oils to tint, shade and fade the finish. I try to replicate wear and tear caused by the enviornment and crew activity.

Weapons of choice.

This is good stuff. It's so mild it won't lift cured enamel much less acrylic.

G

Thanks Gents!

Bill, all you see is painted plastic or PE. The tow cable I made with copper telephone wire stripped of its vinyl and twisted in a cordless drill. 

Bruce, I used a small piece of sponge held in forceps. I dip it in water blot it off the repeat that with acrylic paint. Then I go around and dab the paint laden sponge in areas I want chips. It comes out very random looking with practise. 

G

• 2 weeks later...