Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Cutlass Supreme....Hardtop

satterwhite78

Never been much of a fan of convertibles but have enjoyed riding in them from time to time.  Some time back I was looking for the Revell Special Ed. Olds Cutlass issue but didn't have much luck when I came across the  Revell Muscle Cutlass convertible (the black top/rose side). Knowing that Missing Link had a hard top version, my plan was to eventually acquire the Missing  Link resin and use the kit for a donor.

Fast forward  to around Nov/Dec 2015. A thread of the Hurst Olds Cutlass featured a picture of a hard top version along with a mention that the top looks eerily similar to a 70 Monte Carlo top which both 1/1 cars seem to have. Having a spare AMT 70 M/Carlo with the intentions of making a nascar stocker, I decided to trimmed the roof off and transplant to the Revell body.  I wanted a smooth and seamless hard top without the roof/body separation trim.  I trimmed the Revell body to where the C pillar section would go just enough to where the roof was just flush with the body, glued, puttied, sanded, repeat......done.  Little to none trimming and adjustment using the kit's interior mated up into the body. I did fab the frt and rear windows because the Revell frt windshield was to small as also the rear window. The AMT frt windshield was to thick for I used the frt windshield frame attached to the body and cut at the base while using the AMT A pillars to connect to the Revell frt windshield frame.  Testors One Coat lacquer Pure Gold #1846 accents the body

WOW Chuck!!!! That is awesome!  I love the 72 Cutlass... I'm just finishing my Revell kit now, but I always loved the coupes more than the convertibles as well, and this one looks like it's ready to hit the strip and cruise away a Saturday night.  I guarantee this one would have a crowd around it in the parking lot when you pulled over to talk with people.  Great work!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...