Model Cars Magazine Forum

Size question

Tanks come in many sizes even within the same scale. A WW2 M3 Stuart weighed 30,000lbs, a modern M1A2 weighs in at close to 140,000lbs.  

It would be more useful to describe your needs and then see what tracked vehicle might suit them. Are you looking at a mini cooper or Peterbilt, full tracks or something like a Mattracks tracked unit that replaces a wheel?  

Edited by Aaronw

What I'm trying build the horde trike from Azeroth Choppers. I'm thinking I can get the front tire from a tractor kit. I just wasn't sure what scale tank tracks would look best for the back to tire assemblies. Unfortunately I'm on a work computer and can't save pictures to link to. If you google azeroth choppers horde bike it should come up with what I'm trying to build.

Ambitious first scatchbuild for sure . I think you'll have to use your best judgement on what looks good to you . the treads on the trike look more like snowmobile tracks to me . I do know that some companies ( Like AFV or Dragon and others ) do have just tank tracks with the wheels in pliable vinyl and hard plastic or resin . they usually run between $12 -$20 for 1/35 tanks . hope this helps . look forward to seeing what you come up with .

Aftermarket tracks could work for you from two perspectives, one you could buy a set, 2 you might be able to trade for a set from a kit that are left over after being replaced with aftermarket tracks. Lots of armor guys like to replace the "rubber" tracks with aftermarket tracks. The flexible tracks would look more like the rubber band type tracks you find on snow mobiles, so would probably be a better choice than most aftermarket tracks anyway. 

You might try to find a Monogram 1/35 M48A2 tank kit. It was re-issued recently and is pretty cheap for a tank kit, I got one on clearance at Walmart for $9. The tracks are black rubber / vinyl about 1" wide with a block tread pattern. You could probably make use of the various suspension bits as well.  

This kit

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZWR8&P=W

The left over parts could be used for some sort of mad max type vehicle (or trading material if that kind of things doesn't appeal to you).

I've also seen people use this kit to backdate a Tamiya M48A3, so again a possible trade for the remainder.

Edited by Aaronw