Model Cars Magazine Forum

JJ King of the Burn Outs

jwrass

Jimmy, mock-up is looking good. I saw JJ many, many times in Maryland back in the day (Capitol, Budds Creek, Aquasco speedways) and still love thinking back to the good old days of the sport. I will be watching you progress on this. I built his Camaro F/C a few years back and did alot of mods to build it as close to prototype as possible. I have pics on my website (protechmodelparts.com) if you would like to check it out (Model Car Gallery/Pro Tech builds).

Charlie

Pro Tech

Edited by Pro Tech

Jimmy, mock-up is looking good. I saw JJ many, many times in Maryland back in the day (Capitol, Budds Creek, Aquasco speedways) and still love thinking back to the good old days of the sport. I will be watching you progress on this. I built his Camaro F/C a few years back and did alot of mods to build it as close to prototype as possible. I have pics on my website (protechmodelparts.com) if you would like to check it out (Model Car Gallery/Pro Tech builds).

Charlie

Pro Tech

Charlie,

Saw JJ many times back the day myself! If anyone could stand on the loud pedal for 1/8 (sometimes longer) mile Burnouts it was JJ. He truly had NO FEAR and Pam............

Love Your Products and builds..... Many PROTECH goodies will be on this one!!!

Jimmy "RASS"

Actually, the 8 Port Crower Injector is correct for this car. 

I don't think so...... Of course I was absent the day we learned to count to eight........ lol

images0KTQ5Y7T.jpg

images9XJDI1FC.jpg

imagesPVZEWTYL.jpg

Jungle-Jim.jpg

Untitled-50.jpg

images2Q5V8DNV.jpg 

I just saw this car on display at Big Daddy's Museum In Ocala, Fla (1971 Vega) Yep Four Port Hilbourn

Edited by jwrass

You know that car in the Garlits Museum is a flat nose car that was updated with a slant nose, right?

Jesse,

And your point would be what? That you are a expert on all things JJ. I can call Big himself, Mr J or Glen.... All personal friends (see Profile)

Based on my Posts you mostly look as if you are not a expert!!! At least not on this car!!!!!! I'm here to share modeling with a bunch of great builders and friends. Not to prove my race car prowess.................ENOUGH.... Go Hassle some other thread!

Respectfully, Jimmy "RASS" 

Jesse,

And your point would be what? That you are a expert on all things JJ. I can call Big himself, Mr J or Glen.... All personal friends (see Profile)

Based on my Posts you mostly look as if you are not a expert!!! At least not on this car!!!!!! I'm here to share modeling with a bunch of great builders and friends. Not to prove my race car prowess.................ENOUGH.... Go Hassle some other thread!

Edited by Daddyfink

Jesse,

Jimmy, 

No, I am not an expert on all things JJ and I don't throw names around to impress anyone. And I am not hassling anyone, the one hassling is you. I don't claim to be an expert, like you, and I based my information on what I have read, the people I have spoken to, met over the years and research. 

My apologies to Stephen that you hijacked his thread and called me out. Bad form, man, bad form. 

With no respect. 

Jesse C. 

Sorry, no catchy nickname. 

Geez.  Guys, it's only a model.  Even though this project is not in the "Workbench" forum, it's still a WIP.  Here's a quote from the Workbench;

"Rules for On The Workbench

For those viewing others who are presenting their works in progress in this section of the forum, please keep your criticisms, sarcasms, and other comments to yourself, unless the builder/poster has specifically asked for such replies".

Maybe it would be better to let guys build there models as they see fit, and be a little more friendly.

The above entry is a fine example of why I don't visit the Drag Forum much anymore.

Geez.  Guys, it's only a model.  Even though this project is not in the "Workbench" forum, it's still a WIP.  Here's a quote from the Workbench;

For those viewing others who are presenting their works in progress in this section of the forum, please keep your criticisms, sarcasms, and other comments to yourself, unless the builder/poster has specifically asked for such replies".

Maybe it would be better to let guys build there models as they see fit, and be a little more friendly.

The above entry is a fine example of why I don't visit the Drag Forum much anymore.

Michael is right. My apologies. 

Jesse C. 

Jesse, I don't know if the apology was directed at me or the forum or me either way it's all good, However I do want to clarify a few things

1) The photos I posted were from my research folder for this build.... All depicting a four port injector. Back in he early 70s when Revell was making a small fortune off the backs of race car drivers. Purported Sponsorships were 1 body per year (Approx. $1,500.00) and 1 paint job (Approx. $1,000.00) plus contingency $$$$ based on  national ratings.

Edited by jwrass

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have been on the forum for two years and haven't posted a build to this date. Why? because I haven't built anything in almost 25 years.

Been warming the bench too long.......... I started this build about Dec 1 2015. This is a kit I bought in like 1974 and got as far as gluing half the chassis together.

Jungle Jim Liberman was one of the early pioneers of Funny Car Racing. Born Russell James Liberman on 9/12/1945, JJ perished in a head on crash with a bus on 9/9/1977 3 days before his 32nd birthday.

Known for his showmanship Jungle and his side kick Jungle Pam Hardy put on quite a show. JJ often did half track burn outs ( which I had the pleasure to witness at Great Lakes Dragway) Pam in her halter tops and hot pants would guide JJ back into the rubber that he planted on the pavement. Their is plenty of footage of this Duo on youtube check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Be gentle gents, it's been 25 years. Note Date on box.

Mock up of chassis without body and with body, Notice how the stance is too high in the rear! and the injectors are not correct. We will fix that in the next installment.

During my research their are many errors in the kit as it pertains to the 1:1 car, follow along as I correct the obvious

Peace Jimmy "RASS

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0658 (2).JPG

....just to throw in my 2 cents here, my local strip was called Dragway Park, Cayuga in Ontario, Canada back in the day, and I was a regular spectator then bracket racer thru the 70s to 90s off and on. anyhow, JJ had the 70 Camaro style body at on of our meets in 71 and I recall him boiling the boots ALL thru the pass right down the 1/4 on a practice run. no funny car pilot like him.....unforgettable even after these zillion years later........the Ace....;)

Gentlemen,

I pretty much put the JJ Car back in the box around April as I had somewhat of setback.... More like brain fart.... In Wisconsin when the sun shines you (I) pretty much don't have time to do much Modeling. I did however pull the JJ box last week and took a look at what I'm faced with.

The problem I had was the frame had a slight twist in it and being the anal retentive sort I wanted to get the twist out of it.... I did the hot water thing and the tea pot steam thing.... it helped but I wanted better results ( in retrospect I should have left it alone) so out came the heat gun...... I was making really good progress and....... Off the rails.

IMG_0815_(1).thumb.JPG.ac389fff75a78aa5d

I was oh so close..... Sometimes it's better to be close rather than perfect.

IMG_0818.thumb.JPG.a7d890728f11bd3d8608c

I could toss it but I'm going to put a front clip on it due to the fact that I bought the kit new when it was issued in the 70s and wanted to preserve as much of the kit as possible.

Thanks for the interest!

Jimmy "RASS" 

Edit:

I actually put together a reply last night and failed to post it.... I found some inspiration last night at about 4 am due to insomnia.

I started to clip the front end that I melted... I still have a twist in it however I'm going to try to correct that before I put the chassis cross member between the frame rails, this time I'm not going for perfect!

Any suggestions on best practices on moving the styrene around would be most helpful!

IMG_1217.thumb.JPG.84328201d29301e0e77d2IMG_1218.thumb.JPG.f863e9516c0cf102657dcIMG_1216.thumb.JPG.0619920987e914fb3a7e7IMG_1221.thumb.JPG.353c50a9afa84996d782f

A bit of fitment, tweaking, sanding and primer and we may be back on the rails...

"RASS"

P.S. I would like to move this thread to On The Bench! Any help would be appreciated!  

Edited by jwrass

• 1 month later...