Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 4 weeks later...

No, David I am the 3rd owner, she was my first car, bought in June '84 when I was 16. It has out lasted 5 everyday drivers, 2 houses, and a marriage! Other than a fresh paint job (that one was done in '87), a refreshing of the chrome and interior (both done in late '80s also), she is staying as is.

No, David I am the 3rd owner, she was my first car, bought in June '84 when I was 16. It has out lasted 5 everyday drivers, 2 houses, and a marriage! Other than a fresh paint job (that one was done in '87), a refreshing of the chrome and interior (both done in late '80s also), she is staying as is.

Thank you for not changing a beauty. 

• 6 months later...

Beautiful car Craig, as a friend of mine has one in black which was just repainted and had all the trim straightened and polished last winter. What a gorgeous car!

Thanks, Nick! It is alot of fun having a rather unusual car, (about 25,000 Caliente hardtops made in '66), they are becoming more recognized as the more popular (read common) cars of the era have gone out of the average person's price range. For many years whenever I drove it into a show field the two things I would hear several times each day would be "What kind of Chrysler is that?":rolleyes:, and "You know, a (insert you favorite, most overproduced, Chevy engine here) would fit right in there!":angry:

• 1 month later...

Very nice! These pics clearly show the subtle crease that runs the full length of the body on both '66 and '67 Comets, but which is missing on the AMT '67 kit. Thanks for sharing your excellent photos. B)

Thanks for chiming in Snake! A compliment from you really means alot!  You wouldn't believe how many people have seen that crease and asked "what happened?":blink: because they are far more used to seeing the slab-sided Fairlane, and assume that the far less-often seen Comet would be "the same thing"!:rolleyes:

2008_0517may2008mamameeting0027.jpg

I really like Comets, as I have several in my collection. This '66 is under construction, which will be a combination of an original annual kit body and interior, with the chassis and running gear from the latest issue of the AMT '66 Fairlane GT. I have not decided the color of the interior, or else it would be finished, which will be either Black, or Beige.

2008_0517may2008mamameeting0028.jpg

I also have 2 original '67 Comet annuals to be re-built, as I prefer the old annual bodies from the latest tool bodies.

I really like that white Caliente.

2008_0517may2008mamameeting0027.jpg

I really like Comets, as I have several in my collection. This '66 is under construction, which will be a combination of an original annual kit body and interior, with the chassis and running gear from the latest issue of the AMT '66 Fairlane GT. I have not decided the color of the interior, or else it would be finished, which will be either Black, or Beige.

2008_0517may2008mamameeting0028.jpg

I also have 2 original '67 Comet annuals to be re-built, as I prefer the old annual bodies from the latest tool bodies.

I really like that white Caliente.

Ron, those pics were shot at a storage garage, it was very dark, so the colors didn't show up properly. The actual color is the same yellow as your pics, it has the black interior. All the chrome, and the woodgrained dash, really pop with the black!

Ron, those pics were shot at a storage garage, it was very dark, so the colors didn't show up properly. The actual color is the same yellow as your pics, it has the black interior. All the chrome, and the woodgrained dash, really pop with the black!

I thought it was yellow, as it looked yellow in the first pic, but white in the second and thirs. I had no doubt in my mind that I was going to do the build in yellow. However, I may change the 5-spokes out for a set of Cragar S/S, or a set of Ansen Sprints to keep the '60's flavor.

I thought it was yellow, as it looked yellow in the first pic, but white in the second and thirs. I had no doubt in my mind that I was going to do the build in yellow. However, I may change the 5-spokes out for a set of Cragar S/S, or a set of Ansen Sprints to keep the '60's flavor.

You could use some Alclad or SpazStix on some plain steel wheels for the Cyclone cap look.