Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hemi front engined VW bug

randx0

This is a Gunze Sangyo 56 bug being bashed with a Revell 41 Willys . You know how different kits end up sitting around your bench and once in awhile it sparks an idea well that is what happened here . I noticed a lot of similar shapes between the two kits and thought why not . It's basically the VW body with the chassis interior engine from the Willys . the goal is trying to make it look like a stockish VW including the interior . The Hemi should fit under the hood leaving only the fat rear tires to give anything away . More photos later with a little more detail on what has been done . Thanks for looking , feel free to make suggestions or share your own similar build .

Are you going to have room for the radiator in front of the engine with the hood closed ? Many years ago I saw a 1:1 Bug that someone put a small block Chevy in. Just some thoughts that you may use. The builder had it very stock looking from the outside with little more than some larger passenger car tires on the rear. The car was a very dark green and you almost didn't notice some narrow (about 1" to 1 1/2") wide slots in the hood. This allowed enough air to get to the radiator mounted where the stock spare tire would have been. He had a Muncie 4-speed and a narrowed Chevy rear end. He had stock VW hub caps and trim rings on the wheels and narrow white wall tires all around. This was in the mid 60's so that was not out of place at the time.

Thanks John , David thanks for the ideas ,I was going to try to get the radiator in the front by tilting it but if it won't fit it will go in the back . the back seat will be gone so finding room should not be a problem .I do plan on using the stock rims widened . more later thanks for looking .