Model Cars Magazine Forum

No more Ferrari car kits...?

Matt Bacon

The funny thing is, Ferrari is not solely in the business racing and selling sports cars. They are also selling dreams. All the thousands who know they can never afford to own a Ferrari sports car buy into the dream by spending their money on Ferrari hats, Ferrari t-shirts, Ferrari bath towels and ballpoint pens and whatnot. And the size of this end of the business should not be underestimated. I would not be surprised to learn that they make more money off these sales than off their road cars. So it is only understandable that they are protecting their assets. It sure can be annoying to us, but their brand logo is probably the most valuable thing they have. So they can't just let it go for free

Edited by lysleder

Revell should do what they did with all their tires when licensing  became an issue. Remove all Ferrari logos and the prancing horse and call it a classic Italian automobile. 

That's a great idea.

But all I think this is, is simply legalese due to the change from Fiat to Ferrari.

It will work itself out.

Edited by aurfalien

Revell should do what they did with all their tires when licensing  became an issue. Remove all Ferrari logos and the prancing horse and call it a classic Italian automobile. 

Like Diopark and the 1:35 Mercedes W123 they got that is just called 70s German made civilan car and Italeri branding the Mack Superliner kit as a American Superliner and the old Esci Land Rover kit as a 109" Long Wheel base four wheel drive. Yes, it has been done before and acn probably be done again.

This is a problem that only seems to bedevil Revell in general, and this 250SWB kit in particular.  I mean there must be a reason Italeri has never reissued it, since clearly the tool is serviceable.  As I said in a previous post Fujimi has FIVE Ferrari kits scheduled to be reissued in the next 45 days, several of which haven't been produced in 8-10 years, so it's not a stop of ALL licensing, or at least not the licensing as it's written with Japanese manufacturers - especially considering the Tamiya announcement that's 2 weeks from being made public.

Incidentally I'm pretty sure that if the possibility existed of reissuing the kit without Ferrari logos was a viable idea Italeri again would have done it.  Academy of course did that "Classic European Car" song and dance, but they're also not trying to have a working relationship with Ferrari from South Korea.  Pretty sure if RevellAG did that they'd get cease and desisted so fast it'd make their heads spin, and probably lose their ability to sell the Ferrari kits they still DO have licensing for at the moment, not to mention never being permitted to make another Ferrari kit in the future.

New company, so new marketing agreements. Not a G-Revell issue.

Ferrari had IPO in October, initial pricing was idiotic at $52/share. Stock symbol is RACE. Stock went briefly to 60, and as of end of market today, was $40.02. 

http://www.modestmoney.com/ferrari-race-stock-set-decline-further/25726 Nice short article about the stock. 

Marchionne also graciously packaged a large chunk of FCA debt as part of the sale, so it added to stock overvalue. Ooooooooh, Ferrari stock. Buy a shirt and mug, it'll be worth more. 

Marchionne is an idiot.

Luca de Montezemolo was treated poorly, but he has a very long memory, and far more power than Marchionne thinks he has. Sergio better look over his shoulder once in awhile. 

So, as Ferrari lovers, the kits are delayed so legal weasels can make their new licensing agreements. 

On the upside, we didn't lose ~20-25% of our money buying their stock 4 months ago. :D

I forgot- FCA only sold 9% of Ferrari in the stock offering. They made $893M off the sale. Non voting shares. Basically wallpaper. I've bought a lot of their cars over the years, and this is just another "collectible" rather than a real investment. Real investments help people buy Ferraris off the dividends. Just sayin'.

Edited by keyser
Forgot real numbers and cynical comments :^)

We get it you hate the guy in charge of Ferrari. But that still doesn't explain to me how it's NOT a RevellAG issue if Fujimi can issue "new" Ferrari kits, but Revell can't. 

BTW before you start with - they paid the higher licensing fees you should know the kits they're doing this month are priced at the blisteringly high prices of $11-14. This is after they reissued the EM 288 GTO kit for $17 this fall. You could account for that and say reissues are paid for so the margin is higher, but that's wasn't keeping RevellAG from wanting $31.95 for the 250SWB @ Tower Hobbies for an old tool that they don't even own in the first place.

Interesting. It follows the Model Factory Hiro announcement of a couple of years back where they stated the end of their Ferrari Kits.

Not quite true.  MFH stopped making 1:20 scale Ferraris.  They kept the license to make 1:12 scale and have several in that scale including a 312 and GTO.  I suspect it was a matter of changing the ratio of license cost per kit.  The 1:20 kits run $120 to $180.  The 1:12 scale kits are in the $600 to $800 range depending on the exchange rate.

We get it you hate the guy in charge of Ferrari. But that still doesn't explain to me how it's NOT a RevellAG issue if Fujimi can issue "new" Ferrari kits, but Revell can't. 

BTW before you start with - they paid the higher licensing fees you should know the kits they're doing this month are priced at the blisteringly high prices of $11-14. This is after they reissued the EM 288 GTO kit for $17 this fall. You could account for that and say reissues are paid for so the margin is higher, but that's wasn't keeping RevellAG from wanting $31.95 for the 250SWB @ Tower Hobbies for an old tool that they don't even own in the first place.

No idea how Fujimi did it. My guess since kits issuing now? They did licensing with FCA, not "new Ferrari" legal/licensing. Rev-G prob hit the closed transition period between old and new. Licensing is not fast when you're dealing with legal. If you don't know, Ferrari is quite rabid about licenses, people get cease and desist orders over little stuff all the time. 

So, if the people that issue licensees says "not now", Rev-G has ZERO control. Fujimi probably got agreement early, ages ago since kits out now, and it had carry over clause, or renewal with "new Ferrari".

Marchionne has nothing to do with licensing, so my dislike of his Piech-like management, etc. is irrelevant. Save for fact that he's bumping production, dumping FCA debt into Ferrari, and overall screwing up 30 years of work in less than a couple years. Sorry if you're offended. All of it is related, management by fear and profit makes people freeze, stuff doesn't happen, and just like many companies that have seen dark days, so it goes. 

I agree about MFH passing license fee along. Volume smaller, but 1/24-1/20 at $260 harder to bump than bigger scale that are commision builds likely anyway. 

No idea how Fujimi did it. My guess since kits issuing now? They did licensing with FCA, not "new Ferrari" legal/licensing. Rev-G prob hit the closed transition period between old and new. Licensing is not fast when you're dealing with legal. If you don't know, Ferrari is quite rabid about licenses, people get cease and desist orders over little stuff all the time. 

So, if the people that issue licensees says "not now", Rev-G has ZERO control. Fujimi probably got agreement early, ages ago since kits out now, and it had carry over clause, or renewal with "new Ferrari".

Marchionne has nothing to do with licensing, so my dislike of his Piech-like management, etc. is irrelevant. Save for fact that he's bumping production, dumping FCA debt into Ferrari, and overall screwing up 30 years of work in less than a couple years. Sorry if you're offended. All of it is related, management by fear and profit makes people freeze, stuff doesn't happen, and just like many companies that have seen dark days, so it goes. 

I agree about MFH passing license fee along. Volume smaller, but 1/24-1/20 at $260 harder to bump than bigger scale that are commision builds likely anyway. 

Lotsa cool info here.

I was thinking the same thing. Seemed even Hot Wheels was part of the controversy. Or maybe Hot Wheels was going to be the only licensed Ferrari product?

Could be that this latest deal could be a by product of the previous "sole licensee" where Ferrari sold sole licensing rights to Mattel corporation, and they turned around and leased individual licenses to just about anyone who wanted to release anything Ferrari. The only one who really profited was Mattel, and it seems that Ferrari was the biggest loser in that all control over what was released went to Mattel, not Ferrari. I don't know how long that contract was for, or if it would be voided by Ferrari changing controlling forces, but I bet Ferrari's death in the model world is highly over reported, and it won't be long before we see new model announcements.

Ferrari didn't renew license with Mattel. I think their license was for diecast, not models, and perhaps stuff like Barbie cars. The May Cheong group has the license since early '15, Maisto and Burago are 2 of their brands. I think Ferrari negotiates small licenses direct not thru second party like Mattel. 

The models and other fan stuff are fine. Hopefully Vettel and Kimi can drag F1 back despite team leadership. 

I know more new tools will come, just corporate changes slowed stuff down. 

Still thinking and praying for Schummi. 

Forward thinking-brands like Mclaren and Tesla will let a million models bloom, because in a decade's time, they'll be the influential brand, not Ferrari.

I've been pondering your post for some tme.  And I wanted to say that I totally disagree.

Ferrari has always pushed the envelope and has not only been a brand that influences, but also a brand that sells dreams.

Just looking at there lastest concept; Manifesto, really inspires.

I think track record or history defines what a company is, not so much current happenings.

Sure, Tesla is a very cool company, but 10 years goes by quickly and I don't see Ferrari taking a back seat during that time.  Besides, Elon Musk is more about developing energy storage then he is about deveoping cars.  His cars are simply a vessel for his battery tech.

Where as Ferrari is all about "The Car".

Do I sound like a Ferrari fan boy?  Well, perhaps although I'm not.  I've never been to a Ferrari social event and don't have any of there cloths.  I do have plenty of there 1/24 scale models by various manufacters and have tracked 2 carsm, man what a blast.  I was scared at first but that turned into respect.

Chalk it up to imagination, fantasy or romance, but I felt a spirit in driving a Ferrari that I have never felt in any other car.

There emblem is pure genious.  A black horse on it's rears in a yellow background on top of a red car.  Perfection!

Edited by aurfalien

Wow, total bummer!

Could some one explain why they would do this?  Fears of brand thinning or counterfeit?

Too bad brand licensing is soo broad and includes scale models as I'm assuming brand licensing includes anything with a moniker/name of a company used by 3rd parties?

Funny, I was just looking to see a release date for a Tamiya 

It is a bummer

Ferrari / Fiat group don't handle copyright contracts in-house anymore, it is all handled by an external lawfirm, who have granted power to dictate price and terms

As such they dont care if licensing costs are to high or if it makes impossible for smaller firms to produce official products

This is the same group which attacked the North American Ferrari owners club, so they could not use the Ferrari image on club Tshirts or banners

This firm is very aggressive, and I've heard licensing costs have become 4-5 times more since thier involvement

Sad days

Edited by Jeremy Jon

Ferrari had IPO in October, initial pricing was idiotic at $52/share. Stock symbol is RACE. Stock went briefly to 60, and as of end of market today, was $40.02. 

http://www.modestmoney.com/ferrari-race-stock-set-decline-further/25726 Nice short article about the stock. 

Marchionne also graciously packaged a large chunk of FCA debt as part of the sale, so it added to stock overvalue. Ooooooooh, Ferrari stock. Buy a shirt and mug, it'll be worth more. 

Marchionne is an idiot.

Luca de Montezemolo was treated poorly, but he has a very long memory, and far more power than Marchionne thinks he has. Sergio better look over his shoulder once in awhile. 

So, as Ferrari lovers, the kits are delayed so legal weasels can make their new licensing agreements. 

On the upside, we didn't lose ~20-25% of our money buying their stock 4 months ago. :D

I forgot- FCA only sold 9% of Ferrari in the stock offering. They made $893M off the sale. Non voting shares. Basically wallpaper. I've bought a lot of their cars over the years, and this is just another "collectible" rather than a real investment. Real investments help people buy Ferraris off the dividends. Just sayin'.

Agreed

LdM has been criticized much, but he's old school Ferrari family, tutored and chosen by Enzo himself, and politically connected

I wouldn't be surprised to see LdM return is some way in future, as he lets Marchionne run out enough rope to hang himself with

It is a bummer

Ferrari / Fiat group don't handle copyright contracts in-house anymore, it is all handled by an external lawfirm, who have granted power to dictate price and terms

I'm sad over this. However during this re-org as Ferrari is now Ferrari, could mean they will be less corporate and more personable.

Probably not, Studio Barbero is the legal agent firm for Ferrari SPA copyright & licensing, and that is very unlikely to change

They are tasked with actively protecting all of Ferrari's interests, which includes everything from supplier contracts and agreements, to images, logos, branding and even colours!

This is something that is far more cost effective outsourced, than could ever be done in-house 

I've been pondering your post for some tme.  And I wanted to say that I totally disagree.

Oh, don't worry... I disagree with myself half the time...

I'm as much of a Ferrari fanboy as anybody -- you should see my bookshelves, and about half the models I've built feature a prancing horse. There's no more powerful brand in the auto industry. But they need to remember that it's the cars that make the brand a winner, not the other way around. It might be just sour grapes on my part, but, I can't think it does any good to try to maximise the revenue from brand licensing at the expense of feeding the global "fan-base" which includes all of us who build the models but can't afford buy the real thing.

With luck, this'll turn out to be just a hiatus driven by the change of ownership, and before long we'll be back to normal service, with kits from all the usual suspects. Maybe even of the "Manifesto" concepts...

bestest,

M.