Model Cars Magazine Forum

The parts box special, AKA junk model, is finished. The build thread goes over most of the specifics: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/92819-1977-ford-4x4-pickup/  This model was to serve a purpose, do something with a box of glue/paint bombed junk early issue Ford F-350 parts that has been staring at me forlornly for the last 20 years, and occasionally getting looked over as I wondered what to do with it. I also wanted to use up some way-cool aftermarket parts that I've had for at least as long, like the tires and billet aluminum stuff under the hood, use services like Chrome Tech for the rechroming of the bumpers and wheels, methods that I didn't know about in the past, like vacuforming the windshield and printing the decals and plates, use newer building techniques that I picked up after getting back into building after a near-20 year break, and applying a few tricks I learned here from other builders, like the expiration tags on the license plate from Joe Shaw or Bill Geary's trick of adding styrene strips around the inside of the windshield opening so the vacuformed glass practically snaps into place, spreading out to the edges for a nice flush fit all around.

I started this project just before the Firestone kit was re-issued, which was a good thing because I was able to buy the 4x4 suspension and a decal sheet, for the gauges, from an ebay seller who parts new kits. Parts were sourced from too many kits to list, (or for me to remember). The last details added were the rear license plate lights. The sun hid behind the clouds today, so I took a few pics.

Beautifully done Mike ..... amazing considering you started off with box of junk parts.

Maybe after Moebius has exhausted all versions of the fifth generation 67-72 F series will see a proper short and long bed 73-79 F series from them.  Either that or someone will have to offer a resin cast standard bed before I build one.  My prior attempts with a razor saw didn't work out as well as yours.  

-Steve 

Edited by SteveG

This model is absolutely stunning, especially in person!  Gorgeous.

What Mike is too humble to mention is that this model handily won our club's monthly contest (last night) by a huge margin of votes.  

(And there was some seriously stiff competition.  It wasn't a cake-walk by any means.)