Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello to all was wondering if anyone on board here has ever built any Wood Boats by Dumas Products ? 

I received one has a gift for X-Mas asked for it ? And it seems it will be quite the challenge ?

This will be my second build on a wooden boat my first being a Maine Lobster Boat by Midwest Products 

So my question is does anybody have any Advice, Hints,Suggestions or Comments on Dumas Products 

Iam looking forward to building a Real Beauty of a 1949 Chris Craft Runabout and doing a WIP here on this Forum has time allows 

Thanks Don 

image.jpeg

I've seen the Dumas boats in hobby shops and on eBay.  I've been very curious since some of them are 1/24 scale, but haven't ventured there yet.  I think I remember your Chris Craft being 1/24 scale, so I'm very interested in your impressions and build progress.  I'd love to have that on a trailer behind a classic car or truck

I've seen the Dumas boats in hobby shops and on eBay.  I've been very curious since some of them are 1/24 scale, but haven't ventured there yet.  I think I remember your Chris Craft being 1/24 scale, so I'm very interested in your impressions and build progress.  I'd love to have that on a trailer behind a classic car or truck

Thanks for your reply back Tom has for the Scale I am  not sure the kit came with plans but does not say what Scale ?

However when she is Completed it will measure 30" long and 10" wide in center 

The real Chris Craft measures a length of 18' 11"    With a Beam of 6' 1" 

Hello Don, that's a fine looking boat!  Seems like lots of guys set these Dumas Boats up for RC.  Yes, it's a 1/8 scale boat.  It has a wood frame construction with a hard PVC shell (for the water, RC duty) then a mahogany veneer.  The kit looks like it builds up like the 1:40 and 1:50 historical sailing vessels.  Meaning double planking on a real wood frame.  In your case, the pvc goes over the wooden frame, then the mahogany veneer on top of that.

This seems like a very fine model, the Dumas Boats too.  These boats will finish up very nicely and it will be a stunning model for sure.

I love wooden ship models, it's been my personal favorite modeling type theme for a long time.  They're breathtaking when finished properly.

Great project.

Michael

Hello Don, that's a fine looking boat!  Seems like lots of guys set these Dumas Boats up for RC.  Yes, it's a 1/8 scale boat.  It has a wood frame construction with a hard PVC shell (for the water, RC duty) then a mahogany veneer.  The kit looks like it builds up like the 1:40 and 1:50 historical sailing vessels.  Meaning double planking on a real wood frame.  In your case, the pvc goes over the wooden frame, then the mahogany veneer on top of that.

This seems like a very fine model, the Dumas Boats too.  These boats will finish up very nicely and it will be a stunning model for sure.

I love wooden ship models, it's been my personal favorite modeling type theme for a long time.  They're breathtaking when finished properly.

Great project.

Michael

Thanks for the inspiration and yes this can be built for RC however me going to build a Beautiful Static Display ?

I dont really remember any quirks with this kit other then it does take some time to build. Any challenges I may have faced might of been due to this being my first wooden boat.  However I had built R/C aircraft for many years and was familiar with working with wood structures.  The biggest thing is having a dedicated work area - I used a hollow core door mounted on two sawhorses for my bench. If I remember right I figured there was about 120 hrs from start to finish.  I did put  R/C gear in mine which does not take away from the static display and she would cut a beautiful wake when I took it out.

typh1.jpg

typh2.jpg

Not the best pics but all I could find.

Edited by Old Buckaroo

That Dumas boat is quite a project, however it will look stunning when you finish it. I had started one back in the 90's and it still lays in the crawl space under the house unfinished. I don't know if I'll ever get around to finishing it, but it sure would be nice if I did. Good luck with your build as Dumas has been making high quality model boat kits for many years.

Hmmm, my Dumas instructions says to build the hull upside down and if I remember right that I've got a pretty good start on it. Guess I'll have do dig it out the next time I go into the crawl space.

Interesting.

Do you build the deck upside down too.

• 3 weeks later...