Model Cars Magazine Forum

B.R.B.O BJ and The Bear Custom

This is going to be my entry into the BRBO, a BJ and The Bear inspired custom KW K100 pulling a 53' Great Dane. The paint will be the same as the original truck, but this is sort of my vision of if BJ Mckay was a modern day "chicken hauler", but able to put the money he isn't spending on fuel and normal upkeep into making the old girl into a chicken truck. The kits I will be using are an original "Papa Truck" because I want the long frame look to the truck and a Moebius Great Dane. 

This is sort of the inspiration for the build.

Very nice choice Matt. 

I think your wanting more like this I'm guessin.

a79f5270d79713fba7f0f2925ab883cd_zpszja3

Clayton, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!! :lol::lol::lol:

That is almost exactly what I'm thinking, but probably without a spread axle and a little more chrome and more chicken lights, but that is the general idea. Thanks for the pic too, it has a couple other ideas I like that I wasn't thinking of like the Texas bumper and full fenders. 

Hey, real truck drivers know what cool is. This is what I'm going to building when I get around to actually building it. Long, low K100 with a spread axle reefer.

Clayton, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!! :lol::lol::lol:

That is almost exactly what I'm thinking, but probably without a spread axle and a little more chrome and more chicken lights, but that is the general idea. Thanks for the pic too, it has a couple other ideas I like that I wasn't thinking of like the Texas bumper and full fenders. 

Hey, real truck drivers know what cool is. This is what I'm going to building when I get around to actually building it. Long, low K100 with a spread axle reefer.

I hear that driver! 

Well, I learned something new tonight starting this, I always thought the standard AMT K100 Aerodyne kit had a long frame because it shared was the Tyrone Malone haulers without the race bed, but I was WRONG!! :o I compared my Papa Truck frame to the frame of a regular Aerodyne rebuilder I have, and found that the frame in the Papa Truck is a scale foot and a half LONGER!!

The first thing I decided to work on was the interior, since I have to spray paint outside and being a balmy 11 degrees out at this time, most body and frame work will be closer to spring when it warms up. I didn't get five minutes into this and already the first modifications are being made. I really don't think BJ McKay would like an automatic, and according to a pic I found at http://www.tvtruckin.com/index.html that has pics of Paul Sagehorn's rebuilt original BJ and The Bear truck, the original had what appears to be by the shifter's shift pattern a 9 speed, I'm mating a manual to the kit's Detroit. This meant also finding a new shifter, thankfully I had a parts Pete 352 Pacemaker that was more than happy to donate the shifter and a better fitting floor piece. 

I'll have to figure out a different way to make the linkage appear to link with the shifter since I don't want a huge hole in the floor the way the kit was, but I'll figure something out. It appears as if everything will fit together well with the new shifter though.

I also started to flock the floor. 

Excellent idea for the B.R.B.O. - like most ideas, it had already been done by someone else, but I am sure you'll come up with a good take on it.  You have made a nice start to the project, I'm looking forward to watching what you do with this one.  You've already given me some ideas about how I can improve the two AMT K-100 Aerodynes I have waiting to be built in my stash.

I like your ideas for this project, especially the frame stretch!

Thanks Dennis, but at least I didn't have to do any modifications to the kit frame for this long frame like I did with this beast. :lol:

Even though the idea was going through my mind of stretching the frame a little more, after I found out the Papa Truck frame was already a longer frame than the standard K100 frame, I figured the extra foot and a half would be enough. I mocked up the rebuilder K100 I have with the reefer from the beast above and figure that the extra length in the Papa Truck frame will move the trailer nose to just above the rear drive in this mock up, which should be plenty of exposed frame to add some shiny stuff to. :D

By the way, since the original builder did build that truck like the box art, the "regular" K100 I've been referring to is the one that looks like that on the AMT box art and why I always thought that it was a Papa Truck without the bed. I knew that kit had a long frame, because I have seen numerous builders who don't like the long frame look cut the frame down, but never realized the Papa Truck was even longer. 

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice idea....You know I love to see a good looking stretched out custom....This is going to be awesome.....

Thanks JT! If I would have been able to find the right box it was packed away in storage before the deadline, which is why I'm building this idea instead because I didn't find the right box, this build would have been this instead. It will still be a future build though! :lol:

I used to get to see that truck once or twice a week at one place I worked about 10 years ago. It was a featured Shell Super Rig and it worked every day (at that time anyway) and hauled cardboard packing materials to a window plant in IL from the warehouse I worked for. Dummy me though never made sure I had a camera with me then though, all the pics I have for reference I spent a lot of time in Google images to find!

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled build, I did (and still doing, just taking a smoke break :lol:) some work on the interior to have it ready when spring gets here for me to paint the cab, frame, and trailer and was cutting the seat air bags and shocks off the sprue when SNAP ZOOM the shock snapped off the base of the air bag and became the first treat for the Carpet Monster in the apartment I've been in for almost 9 months now. I thought I told the Carpet Monster it was not allowed to move in with me, obviously it didn't listen!:rolleyes:

Well, after spending about 45 minutes looking for it, and then breaking the other shock off the other one too, it came to me. I thought my El Camino lowrider kit that wouldn't need the lowrider parts and "HMMMMMM, I wonder if it has shocks for the lowrider version?" and found that kit did make its way from storage to the model room closet. Then it hit me, this is a custom, why not give it some low mount seats! I cut down the air bag so it will have seats about the height that I drive with, because I cruise with no air in the seat. The modified one is on the driver's side, and the kit height is on the passenger side. 

I still have some fitting to do with the new shock and the passenger side to lower, but I guess the Carpet Monster actually deserved its treat! :lol:

Looking good, Man...Those lowered seats are just what the doctor ordered.....Nice work.....I'm sure you'll find the lost piece when you're looking for something else....That's what usually happens to me.....I'll find it AFTER the build is over with..... :huh:

I tell you what....That Transtar custom you have pictured is one serious looking rig....I've seen that before in one of your posts....I really like that one.....Just too cool.....I hope you get on that one, this year, too....

Looking good, Man...Those lowered seats are just what the doctor ordered.....Nice work.....I'm sure you'll find the lost piece when you're looking for something else....That's what usually happens to me.....I'll find it AFTER the build is over with..... :huh:

I tell you what....That Transtar custom you have pictured is one serious looking rig....I've seen that before in one of your posts....I really like that one.....Just too cool.....I hope you get on that one, this year, too....

Thanks JT, I just wish the doctor had ordered it before I got the seats glued into my big Ford's interior! I don't know why I didn't think of it for that build, because I always ride with my seat on the floor like that. It doesn't matter if that old shock ever shows back up, I don't need it now! :lol:

Nice start its coming along nice looking forward to seeing more. 

nice work on the interior !   I like the lowered seat idea !

Thank you guys! :D