Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paasche Talon TG-3F air leak FOUND (see page 2)

Alright guys, as the title says, I'm wanting to buy an airbrush setup but need a little help. I'm really debating on the Iwata Neo, Eclipse, Neo Gravity Feed Trigger Airbrush, and an Iwata Smart Jet compressor. My local Hobby Lobby has all of these in stock, and with the 40% off coupon, they could actually be a decent price. I do know from the automotive world  that a Gravity Fed, 2 stage trigger is the way to go.

I have all Tamiya TS sprays as well as Tamiya bottled acrylic paint. I would love to get some awesome results that I've seen from builds on here using an airbrush. I'm able to lay down awesome paint jobs on my bodies with the TS Sprays, but I hate the way things look when brushed on smaller parts. I've watched some of Dr Cranky's videos and some others on youtube....there is a lot of helpful info out there. I've never airbrushed before but would love to start. I'd love to get as good as you guys on here!

Which of these would be the best to start with, and also be something that's not a POS  that will last me as long as I use it?  Which of these guns would also be the most versatile and easy to use for a newbie like myself into the airbrush world? Also, what size tips yield the best spray pattern for a body?  I've  done a little searching on decanting TS sprays, and it looks really simple and not messy using the straw on the nozzle and never puncturing the can. I haven't saw too much on decanting TS13 clear however.  Would I be better off thinning X22 Acrylic bottled clear, and then spraying it through the AB?

I ran across  thinning instructions from Tamiya for their acrylics, but can't seem to find it again. Is it 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner?

Any tips/tricks/advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Edited by lghtngyello03

Alright guys, as the title says, I'm wanting to buy an airbrush setup but need a little help. I'm really debating on the Iwata Neo, Eclipse, Neo Gravity Feed Trigger Airbrush, and an Iwata Smart Jet compressor. My local Hobby Lobby has all of these in stock, and with the 40% off coupon, they could actually be a decent price. I do know from the automotive world  that a Gravity Fed, 2 stage trigger is the way to go.

I was disappointed with both of the trigger brushes I tried... You lose some capability that you normally have in a dual action airbrush, when you tie 2 movements into 1 trigger. As for compressors, I highly recommend the Sparmax tank compressor! 

Edited by fseva

Lots of Neos have been sold, and they are popular with many. They make a nice introductory airbrush. But they are quasi-knock-off Iwatas. The guts are made on the cheap by an outside company - only the body of the brush is made by Iwata. I think they were originally intended for sale only at Hobby Lobby and the like.

Opinions vary widely with individual use, experience, mindset, etc etc., but I think such a basic tool as the airbrush, which is one of the more important investments a modeler can make, should be a little higher grade. That said, I use two Iwata Revolutions, a BR and a CR, and many fans over higher end Iwatas pooh-pooh Revolutions like I just did the Neo. :)

Any opions on the Paasche Talon TG-3F?

Yes I love mine. The three tip sizes will cover all your needs. I think it is one of the best values out there. The big cup is really nice. Parts are sturdy and easy to find. It is $99 on amazon right now.

Edited by 935k3

Yes I love mine. The three tip sizes will cover all your needs. I think it is one of the best values out there. The big cup is really nice. Parts are sturdy and easy to find. It is $99 on amazon right now.

Nice! I saw a couple on ebay for the same price. I haven't been able to find a lot of videos on it however. I did find one that showed all three tips and the fan cap in action.

Sorry for the dumb question, but looks like the 66mm with the fan cap would be what you use to spray a body correct? What would you recommend for tip size to spray small parts, and what tip size for bodies? Fan cap or no fan cap on either? (I imagine the fan cap would be for when you are wanting to cover some decent surface area like a frame/chassis or body/body panels?)

Just trying to get some info before I dive into this.

Can't go wrong with Iwata.  Make sure the compressor you get has a reserve tank and a water trap.

Reserve tank? Meaning it doesn't have to run forever? The Iwata Smart Jet that I have researched appears to have a moisture trap and adjustable regulator with a gauge. However, the videos that I have watched the compressor seems to constantly run until power is flipped off.  Can you give some insight on this?

Motor will run until the reserve tank is full.  As you're using the AB, the tank will use air and the motor will kick on again to fill the tank.  It doesn't run constantly.  At least mine doesn't.  You're not limited to a hobby compressor.  I use a dual tank unit from Lowe's.  Pancake compressors also work well.

Motor will run until the reserve tank is full.  As you're using the AB, the tank will use air and the motor will kick on again to fill the tank.  It doesn't run constantly.  At least mine doesn't.  You're not limited to a hobby compressor.  I use a dual tank unit from Lowe's.  Pancake compressors also work well.

I was sure that was what you meant. But wanted to make sure. I use a compressor in my shop that is a 60 gallon...so I figured that's what you meant. Do hobby compressors not work like this? I'd love to be able to have a reserve and not have to listen to the compressor all the time.....or deal with having to flip it on and off.

Not really wanting to use a noisy pancake compressor as this is going in inside my house in a office/hobby room that will be shared with my wife.

Edited by lghtngyello03

My standard recommendation for first-time airbrushers/car modelers is for a simple SA bottle-feed such as the Badger 350 or Paasche H. Unless you're going to do murals or other super-fancy effects, you don't need the complexity and headaches of an expensive DA airbrush.

I own five or six airbrushes, including a couple of fancy DA ones, and 95%+ (and virtually ALL of my car modeling) of my work is done with a 35 year old Badger 350. And I NEVER feel "undergunned."

Now if you also want to get into, say, German WWII airplanes or tanks, you'll need the best airbrush you can get your hands on.

I've heard the compressor don't send a steady stream of air - they pulse.  That doesn't sound good to me.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Jim, I believe I found a decent compressor with a tank. Does Paasche make good compressors?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paasche-D3000R-Airbrush-Compressor-w-Storage-Tank-/391317233225?hash=item5b1c531e49:m:mmW6YJcellYXjVSk9ki82d

Reserve tank? Meaning it doesn't have to run forever? The Iwata Smart Jet that I have researched appears to have a moisture trap and adjustable regulator with a gauge. However, the videos that I have watched the compressor seems to constantly run until power is flipped off.  Can you give some insight on this?

Yes, that is the case for any setup that does not have a readily available air supply. However, the ONLY compressor I've used that does not do the same thing is the Sparmax. It stores 60 lbs of air and once it's filled, it turns off until the air supply goes down to 40 pounds. The other compressors I've used act the same as the hot water heater in your house... as soon as you use some, the compressor turns on and "tops-off" the air supply. This of course means that the only time the compressor doesn't work is when you're not calling for air... and that to me is very dumb, and practically negates the need for a tank.

The Smart Jet probably does not have an air tank; in fact, when I was researching Iwata compressors, I found only the high-end ones had a tank.

Motor will run until the reserve tank is full.  As you're using the AB, the tank will use air and the motor will kick on again to fill the tank.  It doesn't run constantly.  At least mine doesn't.  

What is yours, if I might ask?

I've heard the compressor don't send a steady stream of air - they pulse.  That doesn't sound good to me.

The pulsing is negated by the tank... which in the case of the tank-less, is the hose. It's not that noticeable, and you can still use an airbrush with it.

Yes, that is the case for any setup that does not have a readily available air supply. However, the ONLY compressor I've used that does not do the same thing is the Sparmax. It stores 60 lbs of air and once it's filled, it turns off until the air supply goes down to 40 pounds. The other compressors I've used act the same as the hot water heater in your house... as soon as you use some, the compressor turns on and "tops-off" the air supply. This of course means that the only time the compressor doesn't work is when you're not calling for air... and that to me is very dumb, and practically negates the need for a tank.

The Smart Jet probably does not have an air tank; in fact, when I was researching Iwata compressors, I found only the high-end ones had a tank.

Frank, What is the model number of your Sparmax tank compressor that you have? I believe I saw one at my local HL.

Tell me what you think about this Paasche. Has a reserve tank as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paasche-D3000R-Airbrush-Compressor-w-Storage-Tank-/391317233225?hash=item5b1c531e49:m:mmW6YJcellYXjVSk9ki82dQ

Frank, What is the model number of your Sparmax tank compressor that you have? I believe I saw one at my local HL.

Tell me what you think about this Paasche. Has a reserve tank as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paasche-D3000R-Airbrush-Compressor-w-Storage-Tank-/391317233225?hash=item5b1c531e49:m:mmW6YJcellYXjVSk9ki82dQ

The Sparmax is TC-620X.

That particular setup at eBay includes one of their older low-power compressors. I can't tell you if it refills the tank as soon as you use it, but if you find some specs on it, you can look for something like "Air pressure: 40 psi/60 psi", which is what the specs said for the Sparmax. However, the retailer gave me the same old line about how they all work the other way. So, I emailed Sparmax and asked them to explain what it meant, and this led to my purchase and I've been happy ever since!

1/4" adaptor for an Iwata AB from Coast Airbrush to start.  Actually, I started with a cart from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool and fit the compressor on the bottom shelf.  Along the side I made a manifold with 2 shutoff valves.  One goes to the AB with the 1/4" fitting and the other goes to an air line too shoot straight air to dry bodies.