Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paasche Talon TG-3F air leak FOUND (see page 2)

As far as compressors go, I tried many of them. Some cheap, some big and cheap. I wasn't satisfied with any of the ones you can get cheap (and neither were my upstairs neighbors at the time). Since I was already pretty fond of Iwata airbrushes, I let a friend talk me into getting an Iwata Power Jet Pro. Since they ain't cheap, I sold some of my kit stash, and even sold the wedding ring from my first marriage (believe me - the compressor has served me far better than that ring ever did). To this day, I don't regret that decision at all. The Power Jet Pro should be the last compressor I ever need. (Again, a much better deal than my first wife.)

The Power Jet Pro is pretty quiet, has a good sized tank, is easy to use and maintain, and has stations for two airbrushes with their own regulators. Perfect for the two Iwatas I always have hooked up to it.

I suggest the Eclipse HP-CS. Its the best selling airbrush where I work and the one I typically tell people to buy. If you want to know I work for an art store. Some people do not like the HP-CS because it has a .35mm needle and jet. Which means you have a smaller coverage area. You can however upgrade the Needle, the jet and the housing to a .5mm for a larger area. I tend to stay away from the revolution and neo lines. They are not that great. Along with any trigger as opposed to typical airbrush design. I had a HP-CS and I loved it over my current Badger. My HP-CS got stolen sadly. I also had the Smart Jet compressor. A nice compressor and it turns itself off when you are not using it. However If I were to redo it I would buy the Power Jet Pro.

I have a portable air tank ( also known as an air pig ) that I use for painting. It holds 125psi of air and makes no noise. When it needs to be refilled with air, I just hook it up to the larger 60 gal. compressor that's in my garage and I'm good to go. I still have a Badger compressor with built in air tank that I haven't used in years, that was my first air brushing compressor did it's job well until I started using the air pig.  

Alright fellas, thanks for the advice! With my budget, some reading, and some videos, I decided to go with the Talon TG-3F and a Paasche D3000R Compressor with the storage tank.

I'm super excited to get these, get to practicing with them, and learn how to use it as best as I can.

I'll be spraying Tamiya Acrylics, and have read that you mix 2:1, 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner. What size of tip/needle will work best with the acrylic paint, the 0.38mm? Would you guys also recommend this tip for spraying bodies?

I assume that the fan tip will be great to spray 1/24, 1/25, and 1/12 bodies with? Will that 0.66mm tip work well with decanted Tamiya TS  Sprays? Also if I wanted some smaller coverage would the TS Spray spray well through the 0.38mm tip?

Edited by lghtngyello03

You will love the gravity feed. I have several models of Badger Airbrush, but after buying an Iwata HP-C Plus, I haven't touched my old Badger airbrushes. After I bought the Iwata HP-C Plus, I bought an Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS. I used the BCS once, I hated going back to the bottom feed and haven't touched it since. The HP-C Plus comes with a 0.3 mm tip and I use it for everything: acrylics, enamels, automotive lacquer, basecoat and acrylic enamels and 2k clear. 

You will love the gravity feed. I have several models of Badger Airbrush, but after buying an Iwata HP-C Plus, I haven't touched my old Badger airbrushes. After I bought the Iwata HP-C Plus, I bought an Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS. I used the BCS once, I hated going back to the bottom feed and haven't touched it since. The HP-C Plus comes with a 0.3 mm tip and I use it for everything: acrylics, enamels, automotive lacquer, basecoat and acrylic enamels and 2k clear. 

I'm definitely looking forward to getting this thing.

Alright guys, I got my Talon in the mail yesterday. I did hook the airbrush up to my D3000r compressor last night. Awesome setup for sure!

But, I did have a small leak at the fitting from the regulator/accumulator  to the tank. Seems that Paasche doesn't believe in putting Teflon tape on these fittings. Instead, it looked like they had put a red liquid sealant on them.....almost like red Loctite. That little SOB was too tight to get off. I had to resort to putting the hairdryer to the air fitting, in order to heat up the Loctite, or sealant, that they had on it before it ever broke loose.

I then put some Teflon tape on both ends of the fitting (tank side and regulator side) and reinstalled it.  No leaks now.

However, the red braided hose that comes with the Talon, has a tiny leak at the connection at the airbrush. The o-ring is not damaged, and the fitting is on tightly and not cross threaded. It has a very tiny hiss that I can hear coming from this connection area. The threads are too fine to put Teflon tape on, and I'm sure it shouldn't leak like this. Any tips on fixing this little leak?

Also, is there a way that I can unhook the airbrush from the hose (to safely store my airbrush when not in use) and not lose all my air pressure in the tank when the hose vents to atmosphere? I don't want to have to let the compressor fill the tank up each time that I want to use the airbrush, its kind of annoying. Is there a quick connect that I could get so it will hold air?

Does your hose look like this? This is the hose that came with my Talon. If your threads are good and it screws on straight and tight then I could only see two things that could cause it to leak. Either the threaded collar is cracked and the crack opens up when you screw it on or the O ring isn't sealing even though the O ring looks good. When I screw my hose on about the last turn I can feel the O ring compress when it seals.

IMG_20160130_093113.jpg

Does your hose look like this? This is the hose that came with my Talon. If your threads are good and it screws on straight and tight then I could only see two things that could cause it to leak. Either the threaded collar is cracked and the crack opens up when you screw it on or the O ring isn't sealing even though the O ring looks good. When I screw my hose on about the last turn I can feel the O ring compress when it seals.

IMG_20160130_093113.jpg

Tommy, Yes my hose looks exactly like that. I checked it last night no visible cracks in either collar. The o-ring itself looks to be in excellent shape, no tearing of it.

I can screw it on and feel it start to compress, but the tighter you tighten it, nothing happens, no more or less noise.  However, if you wiggle the fitting at either the knurled screw end on the hose, or the braided hose itself....the noise changes from more to less or less to more.  Depends on how I move it.

Can't you return/exchange to where you bought?  Even ebay let's you return items sometimes.

Not Sure. It did come off of Ebay though. I did look and find that I can buy a new hose with a quick disconnect for a couple of bucks more than the price of a quick disconnect by itself.

hose with connector

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paasche-6-1-8-Braided-Air-Hose-w-Quick-Disconnect-A-1-8-6Q-6-Foot-/380813232859?hash=item58aa3ccadb:g:hOwAAOSwQItT4WpY

Quick disconnect only

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paasche-Airbrush-Quick-Disconnect-/231816143182?hash=item35f951a14e:g:WQkAAOSwUV9Wmpvm

Edited by lghtngyello03

Alright guys, I got my Talon in the mail yesterday. I did hook the airbrush up to my D3000r compressor last night. Awesome setup for sure!

But, I did have a small leak at the fitting from the regulator/accumulator  to the tank. Seems that Paasche doesn't believe in putting Teflon tape on these fittings. Instead, it looked like they had put a red liquid sealant on them.....almost like red Loctite. That little SOB was too tight to get off. I had to resort to putting the hairdryer to the air fitting, in order to heat up the Loctite, or sealant, that they had on it before it ever broke loose.

I then put some Teflon tape on both ends of the fitting (tank side and regulator side) and reinstalled it.  No leaks now.

However, the red braided hose that comes with the Talon, has a tiny leak at the connection at the airbrush. The o-ring is not damaged, and the fitting is on tightly and not cross threaded. It has a very tiny hiss that I can hear coming from this connection area. The threads are too fine to put Teflon tape on, and I'm sure it shouldn't leak like this. Any tips on fixing this little leak?

Also, is there a way that I can unhook the airbrush from the hose (to safely store my airbrush when not in use) and not lose all my air pressure in the tank when the hose vents to atmosphere? I don't want to have to let the compressor fill the tank up each time that I want to use the airbrush, its kind of annoying. Is there a quick connect that I could get so it will hold air?

Actually, the teflon tape is just a way for them to save money. The better equipment that comes with hoses will have a rubber seal inside the connector that prevents air leaks. 

You could give Paasche a call and perhaps they'll volunteer to send you a new hose.

I use "quick disconnects" on my setup, and I can go from my Iwatas to my Badgers with them. Just make sure you order the quick disconnect for your hardware. Disconnecting your airbrush may not prevent a loss of air pressure from your tank. Again, it comes down to how well the hardware is equipped. You could leave Iwatas connected to the compressor and you would not lose an ounce of air when you call it quits!

Actually, the teflon tape is just a way for them to save money. The better equipment that comes with hoses will have a rubber seal inside the connector that prevents air leaks. 

You could give Paasche a call and perhaps they'll volunteer to send you a new hose.

I use "quick disconnects" on my setup, and I can go from my Iwatas to my Badgers with them. Just make sure you order the quick disconnect for your hardware. Disconnecting your airbrush may not prevent a loss of air pressure from your tank. Again, it comes down to how well the hardware is equipped. You could leave Iwatas connected to the compressor and you would not lose an ounce of air when you call it quits!

The Paasche hose has the rubber orings in each end of the hose. The biggest leak was at the tank to the accumulator. It's the one that had the sealant on it. They actually included a roll of Teflon tape..so they looked ahead..just didn't apply the tape where they should on the tank side.

My leak is now coming from the airbrush end of the hose and is more than likely the oring..not sure though. Doesn't look damaged. 

Edited by lghtngyello03

I have also had issues with the newer Passche hoses. I have Iwata and Paasche airbrushes so  I was using adapters on the Iwatas. I have now switched to Iwata hose adapters on my Paasche airbrushes and got a hose(Iwata type) from Harbor Freight.  This fixed all the air leak problems I had. The Paasche hose does not let enough threads exposed to tighten well. Also you should install a cutout valve on the out put of your compressor so you can change things out without losing air.

I would replace the O ring first before going any further. I've used a lot of airbrushes and Paasche Talon  is by far the best I've ever used. I average building 40 to 60 models a year and I spray a lot of paint and the Talon gets it done. 

Happen to know if those orings can be bought in a random assorted pack from a parts store rather than order them from an airbrush supply?

Alright guys..got home from work and it was bugging me so I hooked my talon back up to air and put some soapy water to it in small areas to find the leak.

Found it. It isn't the hose. It's the o ring at the base of the air valve assembly. Anyone know where that can be obtained? 

Looks as if whoever assembled it over tightened the air valve assembly and crushed the o ring. Kinda bums me out to be new to this and it  being a brand new airbrush. I put it back together and it isn't leaking as bad now. Still able to be used, just the fact of the matter. 

Where could I find this o ring?

2016-01-30 16.20.27.jpg

2016-01-30 16.15.09.jpg

2016-01-30 16.30.43.jpg

Edited by lghtngyello03

I bought a big bag of assorted O rings at my local advance auto parts when I needed to replace the O ring on the tip of my old gun. Harbor Freight also has vo ring assortments but I don't know if any are small enough. For the time being you could cut a gasket out of a piece of gasket sheet or heavy card stock to get you by.

I bought a big bag of assorted O rings at my local advance auto parts when I needed to replace the O ring on the tip of my old gun. Harbor Freight also has vo ring assortments but I don't know if any are small enough. For the time being you could cut a gasket out of a piece of gasket sheet or heavy card stock to get you by.

Try coast air brush. They carry lots of parts for almost every brand of airbrush.

The air valve assembly is for $6.75

Thanks guys. I did Check Advance Auto for the assorted O rings, the smallest in the pack was too big for the one needing to be replaced.

I did however call Paasche yesterday and told them what was going on, and they are going to send out a couple of o rings for no charge to me. Great customer service!