Model Cars Magazine Forum

B.R.B.O Needle Nose Pete updated 9/3/16

always wanted to build this one . after reading tim's fine article on how to rework the hood, I think i'll take a crack at this .

will be stretched and slammed with a few other custom touches using the California hauler kit with a set of moebius wheels and tires.

can't post a pic of the kit yet as photobucket is down for maintenance right now. will do so asap .

Edited by gino

Hi Gino,

With those tires and wheels you chose this will be a looker.  I'm looking forward to your mods.

So the hood can be tilted forward or each side tilted up?  Is that a "butterfly" deal?  Is this only with the needle nose hood?

Great project.

Hi Gino,

With those tires and wheels you chose this will be a looker.  I'm looking forward to your mods.

So the hood can be tilted forward or each side tilted up?  Is that a "butterfly" deal?  Is this only with the needle nose hood?

Great project.

Tilt hood opens to the front, a butterfly hood has side and top panels that open up towards the center (like a 1930's and 30's automobile).

Thanks Tim,

So does this mean a 359 can have a butterfly hood, or only with the needle nose hood?

Only the 351, 353, and some other off highway models had butterfly hoods. The 359 was always a tilt, but in the modeling world anything goes. Me personally, I think a butterfly 359 would be cool. The fenders would have to be mounted to the frame, but it could work. 

Only the 351, 353, and some other off highway models had butterfly hoods. The 359 was always a tilt, but in the modeling world anything goes. Me personally, I think a butterfly 359 would be cool. The fenders would have to be mounted to the frame, but it could work. 

I have kinda done this already a number of years ago. I took a revell Germany pete kit, the one with the square front fenders and mounted the fenders and radiator to the frame, but I never finished it. it ended up in a box for many years. I rediscovered it a couple of years ago and started gathering the parts for it but the project stalled out again. it's been on the shelf for a long while on the to do list. will post a pic at some point.

That is what makes this hobby so great.

Gino - I am really looking forward to watching and learning !

thanks sean !    I hope I don't disappoint !

Edited by gino
can;t type today

359 and the 289 (single drive 359) were always tilt hood with rolled (round) fenders.  359 is a wide front version of a 358.

353 was a flat fender, wide front, butterfly hood.  Revell attempted this with the odd shaped fenders on a 359 tilt hood. 

358 and the 288 (single drive 358) was a narrow front, tilt hood with rolled fenders.   358 is a tilt hood version of a 351.

351 and the 281 (single drive 351) was a narrow radiator, butterfly hood with rolled fenders and later flat fenders and optional set-back axle). 

348 was a fiberglass slope hood, somewhat narrow front tilt hood for dump and mixer.

349 was a fiberglass slope hood, wide front tilt hood version of 348

All other hoods were butterfly - 341, 343, 381, 383, 387, 397, 391, 350 and back.

Back in the late 50's/early 60's, there was an engineering drawing of a wide-front 351 "tropic radiator" - looking very much like what would later become the 359. It is unclear if any were built.

Like what Terry said - in the modeling world.. anything goes.  Once a truck leaves the factory.. all bets are off.   To confuse the issue even more - back in the day, Peterbilt had a "repair shop" at the factory that would rebuild customers trucks with newer parts - you might have a 350 with a newer cab, or a 1957 351 converted to a wide-front 359 - it would look like a 359 but with the 350-era cab and be 10 years older than a 359 should be..  (the truck would still be a 351 technically).

Uh-oh.. rambling again...

Tim

Tim

There was also a variation in the length of the hoods on these narrow nose Peterbilts. There was a short length hood version for construction trucks, a standard length version seen on most 60's  highway trucks and a  rarer  extra long version for  big Cats.

Edited by leafsprings