Model Cars Magazine Forum

'50 Olds Ute - update 5/5/16

Jantrix

Here's my new project. I'm going to cut away the rear of the Olds at the paint line. Close in the body like a pickup. Remove the rear Olds fenders and build them up so that they can be used on the bed. Slam it to the ground and use a blown Pontiac. I'm hoping to NOT have to alter the wheelbase, we'll have to wait and see. It will be custom, but with a ratty vibe. No colors planned yet. I may just go with red oxide primer or flat black.

20160120_213510_zpszf5jkqt2.jpg

20160120_220150_zps30sjmr51.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Just a thought if you haven't already cut the body. Depending on what look you're going for. You could leave the rear fenders on the body and using the bed as a guide you could gauge just how far the bed is to go into the body or just extending the bed beyond the rear bumper. This could give it some what of a Fleetside look. GM at one time offered a kit for the early Chevrolets where the trunk lid was removed and a pickup bed was inserted into that area. With your concern about the wheel base consider placing the bed where you want it and aligning the wheel base before cutting the body. Maybe an El Camino look or if you want to stay with the "Rat Look" place the entire bed, fenders and all where it needs to be, then cut the body where ever that lines up and build a flat bulkhead for the rear of the cab and maybe even include the stock rear window or an open screen rear window.   This looks like it will be a fun build, wish I had thought of it.  

You could leave the rear fenders on the body and using the bed as a guide you could gauge just how far the bed is to go into the body 

This idea really has my interest. I'm going to grab some callipers when I get home and do some measurements. Thanks again David.

Thanks very much guys. Some more work done. The first shot is with the chassis, floor pan added to the mix. The bed isn't going to work unmodified. So I got cutting. Next job is adding material so that the fender sides meet the bed sides as well as getting the back of the cab to get smoothed into the cab. More soon.